Diverging Diamond Interchanges

Started by brad2971, March 21, 2009, 12:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2009, 04:07:24 AM
The DDI seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem. Having two "cross-over" locations is just asking for trouble...you're bound to get Grandpa Artie all confused and driving into incoming traffic.
<snipped>

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 16, 2021, 07:35:15 PM
Nineteen-year-old me was an idiot.

Actually, one of the reasons that an elderly relative quit driving was that the new DDI here was too confusing.  We are glad that she agreed before she tried it out.

Scott5114

Obviously, an elderly person can experience enough cognitive decline that driving in any sort of situation becomes inadvisable...but as Road Guy Rob points out in his video on DDIs, wrong-way crashes are comparatively rare in DDIs, because they're designed in such a way that driving into incoming traffic simply doesn't feel like the correct thing to do.

I still prefer SPUIs over DDIs, but I now feel like a DDI is often a preferable solution to a traditional diamond.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

I like DDIs mostly because GDOT actually builds them. Before DDIs became popular, there were several congested service interchanges in Metro Atlanta and the only thing GDOT would ever do is study alternatives and not build anything, but when they found out about DDIs, they end up actually building it, possibly because of how much $ is saved by not replacing the existing bridges.

SPUIs are nice and Metro Atlanta has several, but GDOT hasn't built a new one in a long time.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

tolbs17

Quote from: ran4sh on December 16, 2021, 11:42:40 PM
SPUIs are nice and Metro Atlanta has several, but GDOT hasn't built a new one in a long time.
Does that include the highway going over the arterial? Because NCDOT has still built SPUIs like that on I-840 in Greensboro and I-295 in Fayetteville.

Dirt Roads

Newsflash.  Tonight (Feb 23, 2022) in its 6PM news hour, WRAL-5 in Raleigh is doing an expose on the safety issues related to the new Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDIs) recently installed in the Triangle.  I am curious if their findings are any different than what has already been discussed here on AARoads.

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 23, 2022, 11:31:06 AM
Newsflash.  Tonight (Feb 23, 2022) in its 6PM news hour, WRAL-5 in Raleigh is doing an expose on the safety issues related to the new Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDIs) recently installed in the Triangle.  I am curious if their findings are any different than what has already been discussed here on AARoads.
So that refers to the one built here. I still think it's safer compared to the previous design which was a death trap. If they are making complaints about it, then I might see it going to just a simple diamond or a Parclo which has 6 ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.