News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Non-Interstate Expressways -- Numbered Exits???

Started by thenetwork, October 29, 2009, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on October 29, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
New York doesn't number non-interstate expressways (with the exceptions of NY 390, NY 590, NY 690, NY 790, and NY 890, though all of those are just continuations of their interstate counterparts.)
Actually, they do. Sunrise Highway, the Parkways of New York City, Long Island, Westchester County, Palisades Interstate Parkway, Taconic State Parkway(as Duke87 mentioned), and NY 17 all have numbered interchanges.

vdeane

Aside from NY 17, US 15, and the Taconic, they don't upstate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

vdeane

I wasn't including interstate extensions (aside from roadgeeks and people at the DOT, nobody considers them separate roads).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

okroads

Oklahoma only uses exit numbers on interstates. The northern 1.5 miles of I-235 doesn't even have exit numbers! Maybe when that part of 235 is reconstructed/widened in the next few years, that stretch will finally get exit numbers.

Scott5114

Quote from: okroads on November 05, 2009, 01:24:15 PM
Oklahoma only uses exit numbers on interstates. The northern 1.5 miles of I-235 doesn't even have exit numbers! Maybe when that part of 235 is reconstructed/widened in the next few years, that stretch will finally get exit numbers.

I had assumed that was just poor signing on ODOT's part. However I think the new Clearview signage up there is still missing exit tabs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NJRoadfan

Quote from: njroadhorse on October 29, 2009, 08:08:00 PM
New Jersey only uses them on NJ 24 and NJ 21 IIRC.  Most non-Interstate freeways aren't long enough to merit exit numbers.

They also use them on NJ-18 (southern section only), NJ-55, and recently NJ-42. NJ-18 is a unique case as it has dis contiguous sections of freeway, some states would post exit numbers on the northern half as well. US-1&9 in Newark desperately needs exit numbers. Oddly the US-1 Trenton Freeway lacks them.

okroads

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2009, 07:15:33 PM
Quote from: okroads on November 05, 2009, 01:24:15 PM

I had assumed that was just poor signing on ODOT's part. However I think the new Clearview signage up there is still missing exit tabs.

The new Clearview signs at N. 36th have exit tabs in both directions. Only the N. 50th & I-44 exits are unnumbered now. Well, there is one sign on northbound that signs N. 50th as Exit 4A...

Scott5114

Ah, okay, I misremembered then. At least the Clearview signage on I-235 isn't that bad. Much better than the hideous crap on I-40 out towards Yukon. It's going to be interesting when the I-35 widening wraps up down here in Norman to see what kind of signage we get. I would assume Clearview, if not for the fact that the contractor's temporary signage is all done in mixed-case Series D.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on November 01, 2009, 01:53:03 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 01, 2009, 01:40:49 PM
84 became 184 easily enough.  182 and 295?

There's already a CT 182. 282 would work, though.

...wait, since when were CT 2 and CT 8 proposed to be given interstate designations? :eyebrow:

I think it's a dead issue as far as CT-8 is concerned.  It was brought up back around 200 or so.  But, CT-8 is not up to interstate standards in a few spots...such as Exit 17 & the Naugatuck stetch. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

okroads

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 06, 2009, 12:00:46 PM
Ah, okay, I misremembered then. At least the Clearview signage on I-235 isn't that bad. Much better than the hideous crap on I-40 out towards Yukon. It's going to be interesting when the I-35 widening wraps up down here in Norman to see what kind of signage we get. I would assume Clearview, if not for the fact that the contractor's temporary signage is all done in mixed-case Series D.
I'm thinking the new signs will be Clearview as well. I did snap some pics of the current Series D temporary signage when I was in the area a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the temporary signage has Indian Hills Road, instead of Indian Hill Road. Reminds me of I-44 being signed as U.S. 44 when widening on I-44 was being done near the B.A. Expressway in Tulsa several years ago, but that is a whole other topic...

The High Plains Traveler

Colorado only numbers exits on the E-470 tollway, no other state freeways that I've seen.

New Mexico only has two non-interstate freeways.  Exits on U.S. 84-285 north of Santa Fe are numbered with U.S. 84 miles (as a north-south route, beginning at Ft. Sumner). U.S. 70 east of Las Cruces does not have exit numbers.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

njroadhorse

US 460 around Blacksburg and Christiansburg uses sequential exit numbers up to 5 (US 460 Business between B-burg and C-burg).
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

newyorker478

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on October 29, 2009, 09:00:20 PM
New York doesn't number non-interstate expressways (with the exceptions of NY 390, NY 590, NY 690, NY 790, and NY 890, though all of those are just continuations of their interstate counterparts.)

NY 135 has them

newyorker478

To clarify, NO exits numbers anywhere on Sprain or Taconic

Did you say Exit 100B???

roadman65

Florida toll roads generally use a mileage-based exit numbering system. Though roads like Florida Toll 836 have no exit numbers, and the only exit signed with a number on Florida Toll 112, is for Exit 7.
[/quote]

I believe that the LeeRoy Salamon Expressway in Hillsborough County, FL is still sequential.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Eth

Quote from: Alex on October 30, 2009, 07:35:29 AM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 29, 2009, 09:11:21 PM
U.S. 78/Stone Mountain Freeway, U.S.80/J.R. Allen Parkway and Georgia 400 are the only freeways/non-Interstates that I can think of in Georgia that are numbered. These divided highways use the sequential-based exit numbering system.

Personally, I think freeway/expressways should have exit numbers. They're quite helpful.

Be well,

Bryant

Albany's Liberty Expressway uses exit numbers as well.

The Athens loop (SR 10 Loop/422) also uses exit numbers.  It is, to my knowledge, the only non-Interstate freeway in Georgia to use mileage-based exit numbering; the rest are sequential.

roadman65

Quote from: Eth on June 02, 2011, 09:51:02 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 30, 2009, 07:35:29 AM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 29, 2009, 09:11:21 PM
U.S. 78/Stone Mountain Freeway, U.S.80/J.R. Allen Parkway and Georgia 400 are the only freeways/non-Interstates that I can think of in Georgia that are numbered. These divided highways use the sequential-based exit numbering system.

Personally, I think freeway/expressways should have exit numbers. They're quite helpful.

Be well,

Bryant

Albany's Liberty Expressway uses exit numbers as well.

The Athens loop (SR 10 Loop/422) also uses exit numbers.  It is, to my knowledge, the only non-Interstate freeway in Georgia to use mileage-based exit numbering; the rest are sequential.

The Albany Bypass does use exit numbers.

Sheryl Crowe

Eth

Sure does.  That's why Alex mentioned it in the post I quoted.

roadman65

Quote from: Eth on June 02, 2011, 09:56:17 PM
Sure does.  That's why Alex mentioned it in the post I quoted.

I did not see that until after I posted.  Something, was messing up my view and was combining quotes or not showing them all, or I missed it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Hot Springs By-Pass uses mileage based exits along US 270

Bus US 70 uses sequential numbering along a 6 mile segment.

AR 245 uses mileage based, but isn't posted very well.

AR 549 is mileage based, but probably doesn't count being Future I-49

US 71 in Bentonville, AR continues I-540's mile-based exits, though the numbering is off.

US 67 north of I-40 is also mileage based.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

Quote from: njroadhorse on October 29, 2009, 08:08:00 PM
New Jersey only uses them on NJ 24 and NJ 21 IIRC.  Most non-Interstate freeways aren't long enough to merit exit numbers.

NJ 18/NJ 55 have exit numbers based on the original planned origin so the first first exits are 6 and 20

74/171FAN

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 29, 2009, 06:48:00 PM
Most non-interstate freeways in Virginia lack exit numbers.
I know of two that do offhand: VA 168/Chesapeake Expressway(even though it was built by Chesapeake so I would assume that they assigned the exit numbers)
US 460(I-81 to south end of Blacksburg-sequential exit numbers)- for some reason though these are not on the Blacksburg bypass portion of the freeway(maybe because of the signal at the main entrance to Va Tech??)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 03, 2011, 01:06:25 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 29, 2009, 06:48:00 PM
Most non-interstate freeways in Virginia lack exit numbers.
I know of two that do offhand: VA 168/Chesapeake Expressway(even though it was built by Chesapeake so I would assume that they assigned the exit numbers)
US 460(I-81 to south end of Blacksburg-sequential exit numbers)- for some reason though these are not on the Blacksburg bypass portion of the freeway(maybe because of the signal at the main entrance to Va Tech??)

The Dulles Toll Road and Dulles Greenway do as well (maintaining the sequence across the two to reflect that both roads are VA-267 even though they're technically separate operations). The Toll Road's exit numbers were revised when the Greenway opened back in 1995, if memory serves me correctly.

In the converse of the situation posed in this thread, the Eisenhower Avenue exit from the "Thru" carriageway on the Beltway does not bear an exit number. The only other non-numbered exits I can think of on the main lines of Virginia's Interstates (i.e., not counting the barrier-separated HOV facilities on Shirley Highway and in Hampton Roads, especially as I haven't been to Hampton Roads since 2006) are the two left-lane exits on westbound I-66 at Monument Drive and Stringfellow Road. Those used to be HOV-only and not open at non-HOV hours, but it was changed during the past few months so that the offramps are open at all times other than the morning rush hour but are HOV-restricted during the westbound HOV hours.

Perhaps the most unique, in my mind, "exit numbering" I can think of is on Nova Scotia Route 103, which is a two-lane road that runs east from Yarmouth around the southeastern part of the province and up towards Halifax (it's essentially the bypass of the Lighthouse Route tourist trail). Unlike NS-101, which is a two-lane controlled-access "expressway" complete with interchanges despite being a two-lane road (without the wide shoulders common on some other routes), NS-103 is primarily a two-lane road with at-grade intersections except near Halifax. Some, but not all, of the intersections have "exit numbers"–I think the idea is to coincide with the more important intersections, and the numbers do not coincide with the kilometre-posts (I think they may be sequential but I just don't recall for certain because we were on and off that road multiple times). See example below from southern Nova Scotia. Off the top of my head I do not recall another road where ordinary at-grade intersections have "exit numbers" assigned to them.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.79396,-65.863252&spn=0.023078,0.066047&z=15&layer=c&cbll=43.793933,-65.862672&panoid=HRBr9r_UcKNkxcu-X303VA&cbp=12,110.08,,0,3.92
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 03, 2011, 01:46:58 PM
Off the top of my head I do not recall another road where ordinary at-grade intersections have "exit numbers" assigned to them.
NY 17, Garden State Parkway (both planned for upgrades)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.