News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2011 Rand McNally

Started by FLRoads, April 26, 2010, 10:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

I've had good results drawing them in Inkscape, traced from satellite imagery using the path tool.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Rand McNally probably uses some sort of GIS software like ArcGIS. If you're wanting to play around with free GIS software, go get QGIS. Doesn't have enough features to provide something RMcN-level, but we use it on Wikipedia to generate all the state highway locator maps.

Basically, GIS works somewhat like a vector program like Inkscape, but instead of the points being defined relative to a canvas, real world coordinates are used. GIS also allows rows in a database to be stored along with points, so that you can do SQL queries for things like "all highway segments numbered 56" or "all cities with a population greater than 2500". In more advanced programs like ArcGIS you can use such queries to define a legend automatically, but QGIS doesn't have that feature yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 31, 2010, 03:26:56 PM
Rand McNally probably uses some sort of GIS software like ArcGIS. If you're wanting to play around with free GIS software, go get QGIS. Doesn't have enough features to provide something RMcN-level, but we use it on Wikipedia to generate all the state highway locator maps.

Basically, GIS works somewhat like a vector program like Inkscape, but instead of the points being defined relative to a canvas, real world coordinates are used. GIS also allows rows in a database to be stored along with points, so that you can do SQL queries for things like "all highway segments numbered 56" or "all cities with a population greater than 2500". In more advanced programs like ArcGIS you can use such queries to define a legend automatically, but QGIS doesn't have that feature yet.
Interesting.

Although I do custom maps, literally. Like, I do concepts that feature routes that either don't exist or don't run where I like to place them. Will the software still work if I'm not relying on any actual GIS data?

Bickendan

Rand McNally uses ArcGIS and probably an Illustrator-type app to finish it up.

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on August 31, 2010, 04:52:18 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 31, 2010, 03:26:56 PM

Interesting.

Although I do custom maps, literally. Like, I do concepts that feature routes that either don't exist or don't run where I like to place them. Will the software still work if I'm not relying on any actual GIS data?

You certainly could digitize your own data by placing it on some arbitrary point on the Earth's surface. The digitizing mode in QGIS is pretty much just a thing where you click to create points, which are joined into lines or polygons if you're using a line or polygon layer. Of course the intention is for you to have a raster satellite image beneath it that you're tracing over, but there's nothing to stop you from freehanding your own data.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PAHighways

Last week while planning my trip to Rochester, I noticed that PA 17 in Erie County has been resurrected after 10 years.  In fact, where the I-86 shield has been on the map since the 2001 edition, is where the 17 circle is located once again.

I thought they just use the previous year's templates and revise from there.

Bickendan

I suspect that might be a GIS error. The line segment is tagged as I-86 and SR 17; most instances the I-86 shield shows up. Change the scale slightly and the SR 17 shield shows instead.

dave19

Quote from: PAHighways on September 06, 2010, 03:36:06 PM
Last week while planning my trip to Rochester, I noticed that PA 17 in Erie County has been resurrected after 10 years.  In fact, where the I-86 shield has been on the map since the 2001 edition, is where the 17 circle is located once again.

I thought they just use the previous year's templates and revise from there.
I missed that erroneous 17 in Erie County; thanks for pointing that out.
I see that they still have the erroneous PA 3 in Lycoming County.

FLRoads

Speaking of PA, has anyone noticed that Interstate 99 is now shown with a direct interchange at the PA Turnpike, of course which is not the case...

mightyace

Now that you mention it.  Yes, I did.

It's not like there's even a plan to make such a connection.

Now, the 2009 PA map shows I-99 as continuous freeway to I-80 when it falls just short.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Quillz

I just got the 2011 Rand McNally road atlas, and it shows a portion of the future I-69 in Mississippi as complete.

oscar

Quote from: Quillz on September 09, 2010, 12:21:25 PM
I just got the 2011 Rand McNally road atlas, and it shows a portion of the future I-69 in Mississippi as complete.
It's not "future," that segment has had regular I-69 Interstate signage for a few years, and has shown up in RMcNs since at least 2009 (the earliest edition I have at hand).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Quillz

Quote from: oscar on September 09, 2010, 01:13:17 PM
Quote from: Quillz on September 09, 2010, 12:21:25 PM
It's not "future," that segment has had regular I-69 Interstate signage for a few years, and has shown up in RMcNs since at least 2009 (the earliest edition I have at hand).
I meant "future" in that it's intended to be a border-to-border highway.

PAHighways

Quote from: flaroads on September 08, 2010, 10:33:24 PMSpeaking of PA, has anyone noticed that Interstate 99 is now shown with a direct interchange at the PA Turnpike, of course which is not the case...

Looks like someone playing with the mouse, as the interchange box disappeared from the Business US 220 connector.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on September 09, 2010, 09:48:41 AMNow, the 2009 PA map shows I-99 as continuous freeway to I-80 when it falls just short.

Turnpike 66 has been identified as a free, limited-access route between Business 66 and US 22 since the turn of the century on both RMcN and PennDOT maps, even though there is an at-grade intersection between those two points.  Prior to 2000, both correctly marked that section as a divided highway.

Mr_Northside

Of course, if they didn't, there would be no indication that US-22 / PA-66 junction with an interchange instead of a surface intersection.  (Though I suppose someone who didn't know the area would assume that 66 was the "free-flowing" section.

Also,  a very minor error the last couple of years in both RM & PennDOT maps (can't vouch for 2011), possibly only cared about by me, is that PA 31 just East of PA-982 should be shown as 4-lane divided for the ~2 miles where it traverses 3 Mile Hill, and is the border between Westmoreland & Fayette counties.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 10, 2010, 11:59:42 AMOf course, if they didn't, there would be no indication that US-22 / PA-66 junction with an interchange instead of a surface intersection.  (Though I suppose someone who didn't know the area would assume that 66 was the "free-flowing" section.

They could just ignore the SPDI much as they did the old 22/66 cloverleaf last century.  PennDOT ignores the 22/66 interchange being part of Turnpike 66 anyway since there are no exit tabs on the guide signs.

Tom

I just found out this week about Route 66 being shown in Rand McNally's 2011 Road Atlas.  I think it's great!  Another old road I wish Rand McNally would show is US-99. :coffee:

UPDATE:  Someone who went out and bought the 2011 Rand McNally says the Route 66 designation is shown as a gray box with a US-66 shield in it. :coffee:

deathtopumpkins

*thread revival*

Was highlighting my next road trip (Hampton Roads to Amherst, MA - leaving on Tuesday) in my copy of the 2011 Rand McNally, and I happened to notice crammed in along the far left edge of the Central Baltimore inset is an I-170 shield. Now I'm all for Rand McNally showing old highways, but I think this might lead to quite a bit of confusion for the average motorist.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

FLRoads

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 03, 2011, 03:46:24 PM
*thread revival*

Was highlighting my next road trip (Hampton Roads to Amherst, MA - leaving on Tuesday) in my copy of the 2011 Rand McNally, and I happened to notice crammed in along the far left edge of the Central Baltimore inset is an I-170 shield. Now I'm all for Rand McNally showing old highways, but I think this might lead to quite a bit of confusion for the average motorist.

Yeah I think I mentioned about that particular shield. Well, motorists will still be confused this year as its in the 2012 Rand... *shakes head*

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Tom on September 17, 2010, 07:22:56 PM

UPDATE:  Someone who went out and bought the 2011 Rand McNally says the Route 66 designation is shown as a gray box with a US-66 shield in it. :coffee:

I wonder if someone could take a scan of the Route 66 designation? The Rand McNally maps seems to be less popular in my neck of woods since MapArt rised in popularity here.

Quillz

I just found out this week about Route 66 being shown in Rand McNally's 2011 Road Atlas.  I think it's great!  Another old road I wish Rand McNally would show is US-99. :coffee:

I know US-30, US-66 and US-99 are all being "revived" via historic signage (in the case of US-30, Oregon is signing the original roadway, since the route has now been realigned onto I-84.) Thus, perhaps future versions of McNally will recognize the other two in addition to US-66.

Alps

Quote from: Quillz on April 11, 2011, 06:07:19 AM

I know US-30, US-66 and US-99 are all being "revived" via historic signage (in the case of US-30, Oregon is signing the original roadway, since the route has now been realigned onto I-84.) Thus, perhaps future versions of McNally will recognize the other two in addition to US-66.
Add US 80 to that list. Possibly 395 as well, but I've already seen an 80 on El Cajon in San Diego.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.