News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on December 04, 2021, 01:29:38 AM
The most direct route between DFW and NWA remains via US 69 through Oklahoma. I'll leave it there.

The I-30 to (a completed) I-49 would be the closest all freeway route UNLESS  US-69 or 75 gets upgraded to I-40. Even absent the upgrade, the difference in mileage is big enough to have 90% of traffic keep going through Atoka and beyond.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on December 04, 2021, 11:44:57 AM
The most direct route between DFW and NWA remains via US 69 through Oklahoma. I'll leave it there.

The I-30 to (a completed) I-49 would be the closest all freeway route UNLESS  US-69 or 75 gets upgraded to I-40. Even absent the upgrade, the difference in mileage is big enough to have 90% of traffic keep going through Atoka and beyond.

Agreed, DFW-NWA is a US-69/US-412 deal.

Once TxDOT has I-69/I-369 to Marshall done between Houston and Tenaha, and I-49 is done, perhaps there will be some drain off, but not very much. I-49 is more about KCMO to Gulf than NWA.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on December 04, 2021, 03:50:55 PM

Once TxDOT has I-69/I-369 to Marshall done between Houston and Tenaha, and I-49 is done, perhaps there will be some drain off, but not very much. I-49 is more about KCMO to Gulf than NWA.

Actually, US-69/I-40/I-49 is quicker and only about 8 miles longer than US-69/US-412 as Muskogee, OK and Siloam Springs have to be transited with all the congestion and lights they have, as well as a couple of other towns along US-69 north of I-40.  The Cherokee Turnpike toll as cheap as it is still likely also dissuades some folks from using that route, so it just isn't worth saving a few miles to take a longer amount of time and deal with the cities along the way.

Every time I've gone to Dallas/Ft. Worth from here in NWA, it's been I-49/I-40/US-69.  US-69/US-412 be a better looking line on the map, but it'd take Siloam Springs, Muskogee, and Wagoner bypasses to make the route quicker.  The real push should be for OK to handle US-69 south of I-40, which makes all the aforementioned routes quicker.  If they don't handle that stretch, then anything north of I-40 for US-69 is kinda moot.

rte66man

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 04, 2021, 07:16:58 PM

Actually, US-69/I-40/I-49 is quicker and only about 8 miles longer than US-69/US-412 as Muskogee, OK and Siloam Springs have to be transited with all the congestion and lights they have, as well as a couple of other towns along US-69 north of I-40.  The Cherokee Turnpike toll as cheap as it is still likely also dissuades some folks from using that route, so it just isn't worth saving a few miles to take a longer amount of time and deal with the cities along the way.

Every time I've gone to Dallas/Ft. Worth from here in NWA, it's been I-49/I-40/US-69.  US-69/US-412 be a better looking line on the map, but it'd take Siloam Springs, Muskogee, and Wagoner bypasses to make the route quicker.  The real push should be for OK to handle US-69 south of I-40, which makes all the aforementioned routes quicker.  If they don't handle that stretch, then anything north of I-40 for US-69 is kinda moot.

They are doing it VERY slowly.  The McAlester stretch should be fully freeway in the next 5-7 years meaning Checotah to Savanna will be freeway.  Red River to Caddo will also be done by then. Not sure if Atoka will ever be bypassed :)
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

2 months after the opening, it looks like the bypass has taken 10,000 cars per day out of Bella Vista.  The BVB will also likely result in more holiday travel through NWA now that there's a completed Interstate.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bella-vista-bypass-benefits-those-in-the-area/

edwaleni

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 06, 2021, 01:28:44 PM
2 months after the opening, it looks like the bypass has taken 10,000 cars per day out of Bella Vista.  The BVB will also likely result in more holiday travel through NWA now that there's a completed Interstate.

AR-72 around Hiwasse will blossom, especially around Exit 287.

dchristy

Quote from: rte66man on December 04, 2021, 08:41:42 PM

They are doing it VERY slowly.  The McAlester stretch should be fully freeway in the next 5-7 years meaning Checotah to Savanna will be freeway.  Red River to Caddo will also be done by then. Not sure if Atoka will ever be bypassed :)

The owners of all the new businesses along 69 in the south side of Atoka don't think it will ever be bypassed....

MikieTimT

Quote from: dchristy on December 07, 2021, 09:37:57 PM
Quote from: rte66man on December 04, 2021, 08:41:42 PM

The owners of all the new businesses along 69 in the south side of Atoka don't think it will ever be bypassed....

I-45 ever makes it across the Red River, and they'll start sweating.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: edwaleni on December 06, 2021, 04:13:31 PM

Hiwasse could also be incorporated as well if it grows quickly like the rest of Springdale area.
Renewed roadgeek

MikieTimT

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 07, 2021, 11:52:42 PM

Hiwasse could also be incorporated as well if it grows quickly like the rest of Springdale area.

Hiwasse was absorbed into Gravette a few years back.  It's not really it's own town anymore as a result.

edwaleni

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 08, 2021, 10:10:11 AM

Hiwasse was absorbed into Gravette a few years back.  It's not really it's own town anymore as a result.

Hiwasse faced a great division in 2007—2008, when two groups faced off over the incorporation of Hiwasse. In the end, the voters decided not to incorporate, with adjacent Gravette annexing the community in 2012.

Bobby5280

Quote from: dchristyThe owners of all the new businesses along 69 in the south side of Atoka don't think it will ever be bypassed....

All the road-side businesses that have been built along US-69 on the South side of Atoka were built for commercial truckers and other road-trippers. Population growth in Atoka is stagnant, aging and slowly losing residents to death or out-migration. It was 3100 in 2010 and barely 3000 now. There isn't a good jobs base to attract young adults. Like other small town and rural school districts across Oklahoma the one in Atoka struggles. Young adults wanting to build families want to live in well-funded districts, such as Edmond.

If I had my way Atoka would be located on a considerably more important highway junction than it is now. Not only do I believe I-45 should be extended along US-69 up to Big Cabin, I think Oklahoma needs another diagonal turnpike from the Panhandle region thru OKC and down to the Texarkana region to connect into I-49 going to the Gulf. Anyway, Atoka is at the intersection of both roads. In that scenario Atoka could be attractive as a distribution hub.

As long as US-69/75 going thru Tushka, Atoka and Stringtown is kept as is those towns will continue to wither. The OKC and Tulsa metros are the only ones in the state seeing any significant growth. Everywhere else state-wide is seeing population stagnation or loss. If the US-69/75 corridor was upgraded to Interstate quality from the Red River to I-40 it would do more to put those stagnant towns on the map. If they're only known for stop lights and speed traps highway travelers will look for other alternative corridors in the region, like I-35 or the emerging I-49 corridor.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 08, 2021, 02:31:57 PM
Quote from: dchristyThe owners of all the new businesses along 69 in the south side of Atoka don't think it will ever be bypassed....

All the road-side businesses that have been built along US-69 on the South side of Atoka were built for commercial truckers and other road-trippers. Population growth in Atoka is stagnant, aging and slowly losing residents to death or out-migration. It was 3100 in 2010 and barely 3000 now. There isn't a good jobs base to attract young adults. Like other small town and rural school districts across Oklahoma the one in Atoka struggles. Young adults wanting to build families want to live in well-funded districts, such as Edmond.

If I had my way Atoka would be located on a considerably more important highway junction than it is now. Not only do I believe I-45 should be extended along US-69 up to Big Cabin, I think Oklahoma needs another diagonal turnpike from the Panhandle region thru OKC and down to the Texarkana region to connect into I-49 going to the Gulf. Anyway, Atoka is at the intersection of both roads. In that scenario Atoka could be attractive as a distribution hub.

As long as US-69/75 going thru Tushka, Atoka and Stringtown is kept as is those towns will continue to wither. The OKC and Tulsa metros are the only ones in the state seeing any significant growth. Everywhere else state-wide is seeing population stagnation or loss. If the US-69/75 corridor was upgraded to Interstate quality from the Red River to I-40 it would do more to put those stagnant towns on the map. If they're only known for stop lights and speed traps highway travelers will look for other alternative corridors in the region, like I-35 or the emerging I-49 corridor.

Isn't there a US-69 thread for this?

Bobby5280

US-69 sort of turned into a sidebar in relation to what a completed I-49 would do to draw traffic off US-69 in Oklahoma.

I don't think a fully complete I-49 would have much effect on traffic levels going North out of DFW. On the other hand, the I-69 and I-369 routes in Texas may be largely complete before I-49 is completed between Texarkana and Fort Smith. In that scenario, I-49 would have a pretty good shot at drawing long distance traffic coming up from South Texas away from the DFW metro and Oklahoma altogether.

O Tamandua

Turnpike widening, Gilcrease Expressway part of $5 billion road plan for Oklahoma

In related action, Gatz called attention to a section of the federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act that provides an interstate designation for U.S. 412 from Interstate 35 east to Interstate 49 in Arkansas.

"That would include the Cimarron and Cherokee turnpikes and the section of 412 really between state Highway 99 and the end of the Cherokee Turnpike that is the Oklahoma Department of Transportation section,"  Gatz said.

The designation can only be put on that section of U.S. 412 after the length is brought up to interstate standards, Gatz said.

"It means after we do the work to bring the corridor up to interstate standards, it is already approved to have an interstate shield put on it, designating it as the best facility available.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/turnpike-widening-gilcrease-expressway-part-of-5-billion-road-plan-for-oklahoma/article_9da908dc-56d5-11ec-98b8-179f51b609b6.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR0EatY2YHgRsiOgwO6atbMdDvwIxi-toomsV5aa-tRgJ6VDrtUB6IArSzY

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: edwaleni on December 08, 2021, 01:06:49 PM

Hiwasse faced a great division in 2007—2008, when two groups faced off over the incorporation of Hiwasse. In the end, the voters decided not to incorporate, with adjacent Gravette annexing the community in 2012.

Interesting, although on google maps, it appears that Gravette is far from the boundaries of Hiwasse.
Renewed roadgeek

MikieTimT

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 09, 2021, 04:24:07 AM

Interesting, although on google maps, it appears that Gravette is far from the boundaries of Hiwasse.

Since Hiwasse didn't elect to incorporate, Gravette, foreseeing the day when I-49 would be completed, annexed along AR-72 to get to that exit knowing that its future growth was headed that way.  It's what happened with Bella Vista as well with Lake Bella Vista.  Bentonville annexed all the way up to and including Lake Bella Vista since Bella Vista was an unincorporated village at the time.  They wanted to keep their Cooper Community origins, but with Bentonville grabbing them from the south, they finally did incorporate a year later to keep from being slowly absorbed into Bentonville.  Now despite their resistance to change, they even have an elementary school, which is certainly not something that retirement communities typically fund.  And the Walton Foundation has sponsored the construction of a rather extensive mountain bike trail system throughout the community since the terrain is so conducive to it and there's so much open space between areas of development there.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 09, 2021, 07:37:20 AM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 09, 2021, 04:24:07 AM

Since Hiwasse didn't elect to incorporate, Gravette, foreseeing the day when I-49 would be completed, annexed along AR-72 to get to that exit knowing that its future growth was headed that way.  It's what happened with Bella Vista as well with Lake Bella Vista.  Bentonville annexed all the way up to and including Lake Bella Vista since Bella Vista was an unincorporated village at the time.  They wanted to keep their Cooper Community origins, but with Bentonville grabbing them from the south, they finally did incorporate a year later to keep from being slowly absorbed into Bentonville.  Now despite their resistance to change, they even have an elementary school, which is certainly not something that retirement communities typically fund.  And the Walton Foundation has sponsored the construction of a rather extensive mountain bike trail system throughout the community since the terrain is so conducive to it and there's so much open space between areas of development there.

Interesting how Bella Vista was in the same boat as Hiwasse at one point.
Renewed roadgeek

US71

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 09, 2021, 02:47:55 PM

BV was carved out as a retirement community in the late 60's/early 70's IIRC. They finally incorporated when Bentonville  tried to annex them.

Hiwasse was courted by Bentonville and  Gravette, IIRC. They opted for Gravette.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tomahawkin

Whats the next town to Sprawl in the NWA area. I would think that Greenland, Goshen, and Farmington would see a lot of growth due to the fact of the close distance to campus? Does anyone know if the NWACC Population has increased over the last 15 years???

IMO Greenland would and should serve as a area for large truckstops hotels, and restaurants, especially since everything would be close to IH 49

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 09, 2021, 06:31:15 PM
Whats the next town to Sprawl in the NWA area. I would think that Greenland, Goshen, and Farmington would see a lot of growth due to the fact of the close distance to campus? Does anyone know if the NWACC Population has increased over the last 15 years???

IMO Greenland would and should serve as a area for large truckstops hotels, and restaurants, especially since everything would be close to IH 49

Greenland has a small truck stop /McDonald's and a Sonic Drive-In.

Harp's Grocery has a store (and gas) in West Fork close to the freeway.

My guess is the communities  along 49 aren't  in a big hurry to rezone.  Maybe after it's extended south of I-40 ?

There was a truck stop in Mountainburg that served traffic leaving AR 549 (I-49), but it closed after 49 was extended north.

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the 411. I didnt know there was a Harps in West Fork. I love that store and hope that they Expand along Towns on the 40 corridor. Im kinda curious as to why Wal Mart hasnt opened a neighborhood market store in those areas...?

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 09, 2021, 08:54:15 PM
Thanks for the 411. I didnt know there was a Harps in West Fork. I love that store and hope that they Expand along Towns on the 40 corridor. Im kinda curious as to why Wal Mart hasnt opened a neighborhood market store in those areas...?

Maybe the demand isn't high enough? Walmart has their own game (like eliminating cashiers), so it's anybody's guess.

zzcarp

Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2021, 05:53:24 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 09, 2021, 02:47:55 PM

BV was carved out as a retirement community in the late 60's/early 70's IIRC. They finally incorporated when Bentonville  tried to annex them.

Hiwasse was courted by Bentonville and  Gravette, IIRC. They opted for Gravette.

What are the actual incorporation limits of the towns? Google maps show both Hiwasse and Gravette's limits separately and not contiguous with one another. Is there no contiguity requirement in Arkansas, or are the Google maps wrong?
So many miles and so many roads

Revive 755

Quote from: Road Hog on December 03, 2021, 11:44:03 PM
Quote from: cbalducc on December 03, 2021, 11:08:59 PM
Will there be any tunnels?
As has been posted before, doubtful. The Foran Gap is not that treacherous and you can drive it easily at posted speed on the existing 2-lane. The sightlines will be that much better with modern engineering.

IIRC - based on the EIS - part of the routing between Fort Smith and Texarkana was selected to avoid having any tunnels, with at least two of the alternate routings considered had a tunnel, one of which would have been 6,000 feet long.

EDIT:  Looking through https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/001747_1997.08.07_aFEIS.pdf, I see mention of a 4,500 foot tunnel on Page 76/358 and an 8,000 foot tunnel on Page 83/358.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.