News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non-standard Interstate shields

Started by Quillz, November 30, 2010, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I was on I-5 the other day between CA-99 and CA-126 and noticed several Interstate shields that do not appear to be standard:

This pic from the Shield Gallery (which just happens to be located within the area I was in the other day) is more or less what I saw. At first I thought it was just a typical 3di shield, but the points are sharper, not rounded like they are on any Interstate shield.

Does anyone know what type of shield this is, and if vectors/specs exist of it?

EDIT: This I-8 shield does seem to have the same width of a 3di shield but also has the sharper points of the I-5 shield above.

agentsteel53

that's a 42x36 size interstate shield shrunk blindly to 36x36.  there is no standard for it because it is not a standard. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Quillz

Quote from: corco on November 30, 2010, 07:46:28 PM
See this post
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2253.msg51629#msg51629
Okay, it must be a compressed 3di shield, then. I'll try agentsteel's advice to see if I can get something looking similar to it.

Because I... actually sort of like how it looks.

Quillz

Alright, I'm not very familiar with Inkscape (it's the only vector editor installed on this machine I'm using right now), but I came up with this:

It's still not quite the shield that I saw, because the edge on this one is rounded, while the one I saw was very sharp.

Bickendan

Gah, my eyes! It's like a bad flashback to when I was last in California!

I need to find a bubble 3di to act as eyeball bleach!

myosh_tino

Quote from: corco on November 30, 2010, 07:46:28 PM
See this post
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2253.msg51629#msg51629
When I saw the title of this thread, I was going to either repost my angular and bubble shields or link to my post but it looks like you beat me to it.  Thanks Corco!  :sombrero:

@Quillz...
Like Agentsteel said, there are no specs for these hideous angular 2di shields (thank god) or the portly 3di bubble shields (double thank god).  I'm thinking the 2di angular shields were a manufacturing mistake.  I thought these shields would fade into oblivion but they still keep popping up on I-5, I-80 and I-15 (the three 2d interstates I frequently travel).

Edit: Oh, what the hell.  Here are the drawings from the post Corco linked to...

Angular 2-digit Shield...

Bubble 3-digit Shield...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SteveG1988

General question. I have never seen a bubble shield in NJ, so far. Has NJ Historically been one to stick with standards? Except when it comes to the NJ Turnpike and its quirks.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 01, 2010, 11:06:40 AM
Has NJ Historically been one to stick with standards? Except when it comes to the NJ Turnpike and its quirks.

yes and no.  NJ used some very unusual green route markers before 1961...

The US marker was similar - just a number on a green background with a white border.  Those are not 1948 spec, neither for reassurance (state name, US, number) nor for intersections (24" white square with a shield).

but in 1961 they went to bog-standard federal specification black squares. 

as for interstates, NJ seemed to really like this variant of the 1957 and 1970 specs:

that uses 10" numbers, just like 1970 spec, but keeps the wider margins and larger crown of '57, resulting in the slightly cramped appearance of the number. 

nowadays, NJ uses standard 1970 specifications as do many other states, for their interstate, US, and state shields.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Quillz

mightyace

^^^

Quillz,

Whether you keep the image or not is your prerogative.  However, it will be helpful for people who haven't read the thread to see all the images and see the progression you made toward better images.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Quillz

none of these are really accurate, though... what i need is the 42×36 shield, that way i can get the proper look at the bottom.

SteveG1988

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NJ19731951

Oddball 195 sign, is that a 1960s sign? Or is it newer, but NJ used a older blank?

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NJ19791951 and New Jersey's Wonderful 3DI huge signs. I hope NJ does not decide to entirely drop having the state name in the shield, on signs like that it is wonderful.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 01, 2010, 02:25:23 PM
Oddball 195 sign, is that a 1960s sign? Or is it newer, but NJ used a older blank?

it probably is.  it is definitely a 1961 specification shield.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

General question. I have never seen a bubble shield in NJ, so far. Has NJ Historically been one to stick with standards? Except when it comes to the NJ Turnpike and its quirks.

There's at least one on I-287 northbound between I-78 and the state line. I saw it last fall.

And then there's this...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Is that second one a stretched-out angular shield?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on December 01, 2010, 02:57:18 PM
Is that second one a stretched-out angular shield?

no, the stretched-out angular shield is a standard 42x36

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Then what is that NJ shield? First time I've ever seen that.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

That one there looks a lot like the I-5 one I saw. Is that another narrowed 42x36?

Bickendan

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2010, 02:52:31 PM

There's at least one on I-287 northbound between I-78 and the state line. I saw it last fall.

And then there's this...

The horror!
Both of those shields need to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

The 'standard' bubble's numeral's are garrishly huge. And the second... 'nuff said.

Scott5114

That second 287 is not even symmetrical... :\
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2010, 02:52:31 PM

Gahhh! My eyes! My eyes!  Oh the horror!!!  :ded:

BTW, is that sign below the shield some sort of truck route sign?  What does the number "102" within the truck symbol mean?  I've never seen a sign like this before.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

The Premier

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 01, 2010, 04:07:41 PM
BTW, is that sign below the shield some sort of truck route sign?  What does the number "102" within the truck symbol mean?  I've never seen a sign like this before.

That's the National Network Symbol sign. Too bad Wikipedia commons don't have that yet. :thumbdown:

Alex P. Dent

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.