News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Non-standard Interstate shields

Started by Quillz, November 30, 2010, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

I don't have any images handy, but WisDOT used a very hideous looking non-standard 2di shield for several years in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on December 02, 2010, 09:57:02 PM
I don't have any images handy, but WisDOT used a very hideous looking non-standard 2di shield for several years in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Mike
www.alpsroads.net/roads/wi/i-39/w135.jpg (cut and paste, don't just click)

Quillz

That looks like the "angular" that is apparently fairy commonplace, but with the 1970-spec numerals. So, sort of a "modern classic," if you will ('61 shield with '70 numerals.) At least that's what it looks like to me.

Ian

Washington, D.C. has a few oddball interstate shields...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

Looks like a Helvetica or Arial shield.

Dr Frankenstein

That's Helvetica.

New Brunswick also uses Helvetica on the few I-95 shields they have (because they use it on all their own shields).

That reminds me, a local signshop seems to be using only Helvetica on their signs, there really is a crapload of those around here.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 04, 2010, 09:42:13 PM

Helvetica and a 2di shield?  :S  That's also tiny.  

Anyways, California has its oddballs apart from the bubble shields. 

Take the road less traveled.

Quillz

Hmm... How was that I-880 angular shield made? It's not from stretching your typical 2di shield.

SteveG1988

I spotted one in NJ on 295 Southbound, right after the NJ38 interchange (exit 40). it looks like a beet, that is what the off standard sign makes me think of. The sign is not visible on google streetview, so it is a newer sign. A few others along that strech of 295 seem to be off standard.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tollboothrob

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 01, 2010, 11:06:40 AM
General question. I have never seen a bubble shield in NJ, so far. Has NJ Historically been one to stick with standards? Except when it comes to the NJ Turnpike and its quirks.

There's some oddly shaped I-295 shields once you pass through the toll plazas in the southern part of the Turnpike. I remember seeing them at interchanges 2 and 3 definitely, if not 4 and 5. I drive through interchange 3 daily... I'll have to snap a pic.
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

national highway 1

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 04, 2010, 09:42:13 PM

I bet the original I-395 shield looked better. Thank god they didn't remove the original SOUTH banner!
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

hbelkins

Quote from: tollboothrob on April 12, 2011, 03:07:41 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 01, 2010, 11:06:40 AM
General question. I have never seen a bubble shield in NJ, so far. Has NJ Historically been one to stick with standards? Except when it comes to the NJ Turnpike and its quirks.

There's some oddly shaped I-295 shields once you pass through the toll plazas in the southern part of the Turnpike. I remember seeing them at interchanges 2 and 3 definitely, if not 4 and 5. I drive through interchange 3 daily... I'll have to snap a pic.

I've seen a few bubble shields and otherwise oddly-shaped ones in Jersey.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

The 710 in L.A. seems to only use state-name bubble shields for mainline reassurance (of which there is little). The 705 doesn't use any shields at all.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 13, 2011, 10:05:03 AM
The 705 in L.A. seems to only use state-name bubble shields for mainline reassurance (of which there is little).

you mean 710?  if so, I'd never noticed that.  the usual form of reassurance on the 710 is green overhead pull-through signs; offhand I cannot think of a single place where there's a stand-alone reassurance marker.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 13, 2011, 10:25:32 AM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 13, 2011, 10:05:03 AM
The 705 in L.A. seems to only use state-name bubble shields for mainline reassurance (of which there is little).

you mean 710?  if so, I'd never noticed that.  the usual form of reassurance on the 710 is green overhead pull-through signs; offhand I cannot think of a single place where there's a stand-alone reassurance marker.
At least three of them I noticed heading NB, but I drove the entire road at once.

huskeroadgeek

I didn't know where to put this, so this seems like as good of a place as any. Wheel of Fortune this past week had a "Road Trip" theme. They had many different types of road signs as a background for the set. Included among these were several route marker signs. One was a somewhat wide-looking Interstate 80 sign in what looked like Helvetica. There were also two California-style US shields, also in Helvetica. What was somewhat disappointing was they did have one seemingly perfectly rendered state-name California Interstate shield in FHWA font-the problem was it was for the non-existent Interstate 50.

Quillz

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on April 17, 2011, 03:27:09 PM
I didn't know where to put this, so this seems like as good of a place as any. Wheel of Fortune this past week had a "Road Trip" theme. They had many different types of road signs as a background for the set. Included among these were several route marker signs. One was a somewhat wide-looking Interstate 80 sign in what looked like Helvetica. There were also two California-style US shields, also in Helvetica. What was somewhat disappointing was they did have one seemingly perfectly rendered state-name California Interstate shield in FHWA font-the problem was it was for the non-existent Interstate 50.
Reminds me of this:

The shield uses Myriad Pro in place of the FHWA Series.

agentsteel53

really?  that's not EM?  I'll be danged.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

There are a couple of I-64 signs on overheads in the Charleston, WV area that look just like that sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

Quote from: Quillz on April 18, 2011, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: huskeroadgeek on April 17, 2011, 03:27:09 PM
Reminds me of this:

The shield uses Myriad Pro in place of the FHWA Series.
I believe Myriad Pro is a better substitute for Clearview.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Quillz

I dunno, I doubt Myriad Pro has gotten any proper field testing for long-range visibility. It does work way better than Helvetica, though.

agentsteel53

I actually perspective-corrected that 64 shield, and indeed that is not EM.  But it is damn close - to within a margin of error of sign shop sloppiness.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Well, Myriad Pro does look a lot like E(M).

Anonymity Lane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 20, 2011, 01:49:24 AM
I actually perspective-corrected that 64 shield, and indeed that is not EM.  But it is damn close - to within a margin of error of sign shop sloppiness.

It looks like Interstate:

http://myfonts.us/td-3e2Co0

Central Avenue

Quote from: Anonymity Lane on April 20, 2011, 02:43:34 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 20, 2011, 01:49:24 AM

It looks like Interstate:

http://myfonts.us/td-3e2Co0

That makes sense. There's no reason for someone at Apple to have a spec-compliant FHWA font, but it seems likely they'd have a commercially-available "general purpose" typeface like Interstate.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.