News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Model Road Sets

Started by Mergingtraffic, March 17, 2011, 08:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

You've heard of Model Train Sets...but what about model road sets?  Since we are affectionatley called road geeks, just wondering does anybody have a model road set?

I used to have one, I would buy all the HO Scale highway scenes (signs, street lights, traffic lights, stores etc) from the railroad sets and make my own model road set.  This was back in the early 90s, I wonder if they have more "realistic" stuff nowadays. 

I always wanted a HO Scale highway flyover but i don't think that was ever made.  There were flyover railroad bridges but not highway bridges.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

kurumi

Just for fun: the I-84/I-691 interchange extends 1.04 miles along I-84. In HO scale that would be more than 63 feet. Hope you've got a big basement...
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

cjk374

www.blairline.com sells realistic highway signs.  Rix Products has a highway overpass and other road-related items (I can't seem to find their website). 
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

PAHighways

Quote from: doofy103 on March 17, 2011, 08:08:28 PMYou've heard of Model Train Sets...but what about model road sets?  Since we are affectionatley called road geeks, just wondering does anybody have a model road set?

Yes

Interstate Trav

they have model road sets?  where can you find these?

cjk374

Those US-1 trucking set commercials brought back some fond memories of my childhood. (sighs)   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

myosh_tino

Quote from: cjk374 on March 20, 2011, 08:58:13 PM
Those US-1 trucking set commercials brought back some fond memories of my childhood. (sighs)   :nod:
Me too!  See my post in the topic linked to by PAHighways
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on March 20, 2011, 08:58:13 PM
Those US-1 trucking set commercials brought back some fond memories of my childhood. (sighs)   :nod:

I still have it here in the basement in a couple of boxes.  It's complete with its own big green signage.  Of course, it's fun to mix it with the model RR sets I have and the Legos (Lego bricks make great HO scale model building material IMHO).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

RoadWarrior56

As a kid in the mid 1960's, I had a couple of Kenner Bridge and Turnpike building sets.  I would run matchbox and other small model cars on them.  A bit later, I had an Aurora Model Motoring HO Race Car set.  I had hours of play and fond memories of both.

njroadhorse

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 21, 2011, 07:17:54 AM
As a kid in the mid 1960's, I had a couple of Kenner Bridge and Turnpike building sets.  I would run matchbox and other small model cars on them.  A bit later, I had an Aurora Model Motoring HO Race Car set.  I had hours of play and fond memories of both.
I always wanted one of those.  My grandparents had the the skyscraper set from when some of my uncles were younger, but I could never find the Bridge and Turnpike one, and six year old me thought that they still made them :-D
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

RoadWarrior56

I remember seeing updated versions of the Kenner sets in the 1980's in Toys R Us after I had a child of my own, but I don't think they have been made since then, although I don't know for sure.

I will have to say, the Kenner sets (I had two of them) were one of my favorite toys of all time.  They did have little pieces included that would now probably be considered "dangerous" for children by the government and other PC institutions.

2Co5_14

I also got one of the Kenner Girder & Panel Bridge sets in the early 80's (still have it). They were a great way to build truss, cantilever, and suspension bridges using the actual structural principles.  They also had cool roadway pieces, realistic signs, and streetlights.  They were scaled for Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars, but I squeezed my Lego cars (barely!)onto those bridges. I had so much fun with it that one of my parent's friends gave me an extra (used) bridge set, along with a skyscraper set!  :cool:

Recently I've been doing Ebay searches for Girder & Panel and I saw some even older "Bridge & Turnpike" sets from the 60's that had more types of roadway pieces to be able to build highway interchanges. I've been tempted to get one of them but they don't come along very often, and they're really expensive as vintage toys.  :wow:

There is one company that recently got the rights to start manufacturing & selling the Girder & Panel sets again:
http://www.bridgestreettoys.com/index.html
Their bridge sets are modeled more closely with the original sets than the ones I have.

thenetwork

I had gotten a Corgi Town Center set in my waning years of my pre-high school days.  It was mostly a styrofoam-like set with separate buildings and connectable roadbeds.  I got it out of the Sears catalog. 

Prior to that, my grandfather worked at a bank and he would get me boxes of old IBM punchcards.  I used the blank/back side and create my own signs, roadbeds & buildings.

I think my parents threw all of that stuff out before I went to college, but they kept most of the Hot Wheels & Matchbox tracks.

Truvelo

Has anyone heard of a modular toy kerbing/sidewalk system produced by a French company called Majorette? I used to have some as a kid. It consists of molded plastic sidewalk with kerb edging in pieces about 4 inches long. They clip together to make streets. There's also corner versions for side roads. Each section has tiny holes where things like traffic lights, signs, fire hydrants and streetlights can be placed. The traffic lights have a tubular center with printed on colored dots to represent each phase and these are changed by turning the top.

I had it back in the 80's so I'm not sure if it's still produced.
Speed limits limit life

Brian556

I still have one of those Majorette sets. It was an Auto Service garage. My aunt still has some of these, too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.