News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

(US) Why is the 'no passing zone' pennant yellow?

Started by NE2, March 28, 2011, 03:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

We should all know that a white rectangle is regulatory and a yellow diamond is warning. But why is the 'no passing zone' pennant yellow? Does it have no regulatory meaning without an associated double-yellow centerline or white 'do not pass' sign?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mgk920

Likely so that drivers can see it.  There are no other signs in the MUTCD that look anything like it, so it is easy to recognize.

Mike

Mergingtraffic

Plus the sign "points" back to the right side of the road too.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

J N Winkler

Quote from: NE2 on March 28, 2011, 03:18:42 AMWe should all know that a white rectangle is regulatory and a yellow diamond is warning. But why is the 'no passing zone' pennant yellow? Does it have no regulatory meaning without an associated double-yellow centerline or white 'do not pass' sign?

It depends on the state but, as a general rule, the striping configuration carries the regulatory meaning.  No-passing-zone pennants do not have to be used to indicate all no-passing zones, and many states normally post them only for no-passing zones which are created by summit curves (intersection no-passing zones are indicated by striping but not upright signs).  Regulatory "DO NOT PASS" and "PASS WITH CARE" can be used, but are optional.  In California some years ago (2003, I think), the CTCDC reclassified these signs as warning and therefore they retain the rectangular format but have yellow background.

I incline to agree that the pennant (which was introduced nationally in the 1971 MUTCD, IIRC) was chosen for recognition by shape at a distance, since its purpose is to suppress the initiation of unsafe passing maneuvers while the overtaking driver is still in a dilemma zone which, for small speed differentials between overtaker and overtaken, lies a considerable distance from the sign.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

"PASS WITH CARE" is indeed yellow here.

that is one sign whose legend needs to be reworded, as the sign means "cross into oncoming traffic to pass", not that the lane to your left is a dedicated passing lane for your direction, which would be the general level of safety I'd associate with the words "WITH CARE".  "PASS AT YOUR OWN RISK", perhaps?  

Or, on highway 395 between Kramer's Junction and Adelanto, I'd go with "612 PEOPLE KILLED SO FAR THIS YEAR ATTEMPTING TO PASS THAT DAMNED RV WHICH IS DOING 39 IN A 65.  YOU'RE PROBABLY GONNA BE #613, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THIS SIGN SAYS, SO FUCK IT."
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

The National Park Service recently replaced a number of DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE signs on the colonial parkway with yellow ones, so is that becoming a national standard, or is this just a fluke? It looks awful to me, as they're mixed in with existing white ones, which are what I am used to seeing. Not that it matters to the average motorist.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

J N Winkler

Deathtopumpkins--it is possible FHWA bought CTCDC's argument and reclassified these signs as warning in the 2009 MUTCD.  All I know is that the policy change in California dates from the early noughties and was accompanied by issue of new specs for these signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

A driver itching to pass will not likely see around the vehicle to find the sign if it were on the right.  Hence the left side mounting.  I tend to agree with the arrow pointing to the start spot of prohibited passing.

I've seen a couple places on local roads where the centerline is double yellow yet there are NPZ signs still posted (someone forgot to take them down)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Pass with care is a regulatory message. There's no warning there; it's telling you what you can now do, not what you can no longer do. It should not be yellow. Do not pass is both regulatory and warning - the warning being to get back over on your side. That message is of an urgent nature, hence yellow beats white.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 28, 2011, 08:06:15 PM
Pass with care is a regulatory message. There's no warning there; it's telling you what you can now do, not what you can no longer do.

it is about the only regulatory message I can think of that is optional.  This in contrast with, say, KEEP TO RIGHT, which is quite mandatory, as is SPEED LIMIT 55. 

but you'll never get a ticket for not passing (with care, or otherwise)

jake@aaroads.com

DRMan

In Vermont, they use "UNSAFE TO PASS" signs that are black text on white rectangles (at least that's what they looked like last time I was in VT).

Do those signs carry any different meaning than "DO NOT PASS"?  Are they used elsewhere?

ctsignguy

Connecticut used the following signs over the years

This is the model they still use...not as common as they used to be, but still in reasonably common use.  The yellow "pass card" (necktie) beneath the sign signals to the motorist the start of passing/no passing zones

Here are the three standard pass cards (right three signs)

And this style (NO PASSING) passed out of use in the 1980s...(courtesy of the Mike Summa collection)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Scott5114

Oklahoma uses no signs at all. Just the stripes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Neither does Oregon, save for the white rectangle 'Do Not Pass' signs.

roadfro

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 28, 2011, 01:18:42 PM
Deathtopumpkins--it is possible FHWA bought CTCDC's argument and reclassified these signs as warning in the 2009 MUTCD.  All I know is that the policy change in California dates from the early noughties and was accompanied by issue of new specs for these signs.

The 2009 MUTCD retains the Do Not Pass and Pass With Care as regulatory black on white (R4-1 and R4-2, respectively).

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 28, 2011, 08:06:15 PM
Pass with care is a regulatory message. There's no warning there; it's telling you what you can now do, not what you can no longer do. It should not be yellow. Do not pass is both regulatory and warning - the warning being to get back over on your side. That message is of an urgent nature, hence yellow beats white.

I'd agree that Do Not Pass is both regulatory and warning. However, regulatory trumps warning every time, including this case. The pennant works for the warning here.

Quote from: ctsignguy on March 28, 2011, 08:43:33 PM
This is the model [Connecticut] still use...not as common as they used to be, but still in reasonably common use.  The yellow "pass card" (necktie) beneath the sign signals to the motorist the start of passing/no passing zones

Those don't appear to be signs intended for the motorist, but rather something for road maintenance workers to know the point at which the centerline detail changes for striping operations. Especially helpful on mill & fill paving operations that are quick jobs where a surveyed pilot line is not be used for striping purposes.

Nevada DOT uses similar objects in some areas of two-lane highway. NDOT's version is usually black on white (I've also seen yellow on black), posted at similar height to a standard Nevada milepost paddle, and frequently found on the wrong side of the road from the direction of travel.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Quillz

Quote from: mgk920 on March 28, 2011, 10:32:25 AM
Likely so that drivers can see it.  There are no other signs in the MUTCD that look anything like it, so it is easy to recognize.

Mike
Isn't the sideways triangle a unique shape already, though? It seems a "no passing zone" that was black on white in the same shape will still be distinctive.

RoadWarrior56

I had read an article years ago that Missouri had used a yellow solid stripe down the middle of the lane back in the 40's and maybe the 50's instead of next to the skip white (the centerline was always white before 1971) for a no-passing zone.  That is way before my time, so I have never seen it in the field or even a photograph.

J N Winkler

It sounds like Missouri may have had a variant of the basic three-line striping system.  Before about 1961 (and, to a lesser extent, between 1961 and 1971) there was considerable variation from state to state in how passing zones were striped, with some states using a two-line system while others used a three-line system.  There is still variation between states in how much space is provided between parallel stripes and how they are positioned transversely when they are used.  In the case of Oregon I believe the extra space provided between solid yellow lines (signifying no passing in either direction) is a legacy of an old three-line system.

agentsteel53

I believe it was the 1978 MUTCD that mandated the current striping system.  I know CA was using the double-yellow by 1962; they might have been the ones who invented it - but they were using single white broken stripe for roads on which passing was permitted as late as 1978.

there are some older roads here in CA that have the white broken stripe down the middle.  Some even older ones survive that have a double white unbroken stripe indicating no passing.  Some roads even older than that have the double white, with a black unbroken stripe in the middle, to contrast against the light concrete!  I believe they got away from that by the 40s.

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

QuoteIn Vermont, they use "UNSAFE TO PASS" signs that are black text on white rectangles (at least that's what they looked like last time I was in VT).

Most of them are yellow-diamond warning signs now.  I don't recall the last time I saw one which was a black-on-white rectangle.

QuoteDo those signs carry any different meaning than "DO NOT PASS"?  Are they used elsewhere?

By Vermont law, they have the same meaning, and are considered regulatory, even the yellow-diamond ones.  I'm sure you've also noticed the "End No Passing" signs in Vermont which mark the end of the zone.

Brian556

In Lake Dallas, Tx , there is a no passing zone marked with both "No Passing Zone" and "Do Not Pass" signs. The center stripe, however, is broken yellow. Shows how smart city employees are.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on March 29, 2011, 03:41:37 PM
In Lake Dallas, Tx , there is a no passing zone marked with both "No Passing Zone" and "Do Not Pass" signs. The center stripe, however, is broken yellow. Shows how smart city employees are.

I'll make sure to file a lawsuit after I am scraped off that 18 wheeler's grille.

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

This is the model they still use...not as common as they used to be, but still in reasonably common use.  The yellow "pass card" (necktie) beneath the sign signals to the motorist the start of passing/no passing zones

I thought the yellow signs were for DOT purposes so the crews knew when to paint the correct type of yellow line...especially when repaving was done.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

deathtopumpkins

I've always noticed those little signs in CT ("pass cards" as you call them)... wish more states used them.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ctsignguy

Quote from: doofy103 on March 29, 2011, 04:04:36 PM

I thought the yellow signs were for DOT purposes so the crews knew when to paint the correct type of yellow line...especially when repaving was done.

It may have been, but the 'pass cards' were often attached under other signs, esp if the no passing zone ended, and on occasion, they could be found mounted by themselves, one on each side....so they were useful for both DOT crews, and also to alert motorists when it was OK to pass again...

so they were, and still are, incredibly useful...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.