News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Albuquerque to San Diego Route

Started by realjd, April 04, 2011, 08:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

people are a big enough social problem.  should we start eliminating them for the good of the people?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Mods, can we split the sobriety checkpoint discussion into a separate thread? I'd like to continue the discussion and hear about other states, but it doesn't really fit in with my original topic. Thanks!

pianocello

Quote from: realjd on June 04, 2011, 03:24:52 PM
The US Supreme Court ruled that sobriety checkpoints are indeed an infringement on our constitutional 4th amendment rights, but that drunk driving is a big enough social problem that the government is OK infringing on that right for the good of the people. I wish I were joking, but it's true.

:wow:
Shouldn't they be preserving, protecting, and defending the US Constitution?
Time to move to Canada?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Dr Frankenstein

I thought that the Constitution was non-negotiable...

Well, we do have those random sobriety checkpoints in Canada too... especially around Christmas, New Year, Confederation Day, St. Jean-Baptiste Day...

J N Winkler

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 05, 2011, 10:28:55 PMI thought that the Constitution was non-negotiable...

In theory it is.  In practice it is all a matter of interpretation.  We had Jim Crow despite the Fourteenth Amendment.  The businesses got their turn in the late 19th/early 20th century with the Lochner era.  The sixties generation had civil rights.  Now we are in the throes of another neo-Lochner era.

QuoteWell, we do have those random sobriety checkpoints in Canada too... especially around Christmas, New Year, Confederation Day, St. Jean-Baptiste Day...

I think every other advanced industrialized country has them too in some form.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

andytom

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 05, 2011, 10:28:55 PM
I thought that the Constitution was non-negotiable...

The Constitution is general in nature on purpose.  That makes it very negotiable when it comes to specifics.  Sometimes too much so.

--Andy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.