News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual punctuation in BGSs

Started by andrewkbrown, April 19, 2011, 05:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

If I had my pics from my New Jersey trip from March online, I could show you some "US 1 & 9" photos. Not "US 1 - 9" but with the ampersand.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

I have a few photos of the US 1&9 signs (though the second photo shows an erroneous NJ 1&9 shield):

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

NJ used the ampersand from maybe the 70s into the early 90s. Evidence of this is in NJ Route 139, where the "3" was created out of the ampersand because this had been 1&9 Business. (Before the 70s, there was no combined shield, as evidenced by nonreflective BGS on the Skyway.) Then they went to the hyphen, probably to create a less cluttered shield. I was very surprised to see new ampersand shields out.

hm insulators

Quote from: Steve on April 22, 2011, 07:42:33 PM
I saw button copy tildes around the San Diego area on Thursday (Spanish ñ).

I-210 has the tildes for La Canada (there's a tilde over the N but I don't know how to do that on the computer) Flintridge where it passes through that Los Angeles suburb.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadfro

Quote from: hm insulators on May 18, 2011, 06:31:57 PM
I-210 has the tildes for La Canada (there's a tilde over the N but I don't know how to do that on the computer) Flintridge where it passes through that Los Angeles suburb.

On a Windows computer: For "Ã'", use Alt+0209 (i.e.: hold the 'Alt' key while pressing the '0' '2' '0' '9' keys in sequence on the number pad). For "ñ", it's Alt+0241.

One can use the Character Map to find special characters; select one and it generally tells you in the lower corner if there's a keystroke sequence for that symbol. Newer versions of MS Word have a built-in character map under Insert which does a similar function.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

J N Winkler

If the 437 codepage is enabled (should be the case by default if you are using an English-speaking edition of Windows), ñ = Alt+164 and Ã' = Alt+165.  (Roadfro's method uses the ANSI characterset, I think.)  But personally I use the UK International keyboard layout since that enables the AltGr (right-hand Alt) deadkey.  AltGr+~ followed by n or N respectively produces ñ and Ã'.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.