Hand-drawn maps [Slate Magazine]

Started by kurumi, May 13, 2011, 12:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

April 2010 article about verisimilitude and design decisions in hand-drawn maps we make for friends and family: http://www.slate.com/id/2252161/pagenum/all/

It has Alexander Calder's map to Roxbury, CT (already posted in this forum) along with other interesting maps including details of how to avoid the toll station on I-95 in Delaware.

The article is actually part of a series with roadgeek interest: assorted road signs, slideshow, including old CA 7; the effect more widespread GPS usage could have on the need for road signs; road sign usability; and a few others.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

realjd

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Personally, my hand drawn maps tend to not be geographically correct, but still convey the required information needed to get to the destination. Think the DC or London subway map vs. the NYC subway map. Looking through the article, it appears that most people do that in some form or another.

Henry

Interesting read there! Takes me back to the days of marking up old maps with my dream highways...but in a simpler form.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

yakra

I really dig the Avoiding the Delaware Turnpike Toll map, what with is properly styled state route shields, depictions of just the interchange ramps relevant to the shunpiking route's movements, and its other little touches of personality.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.