News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Conn Sign update

Started by ctsignguy, May 24, 2011, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

I was in to visit Jeff today and after asking and answering a few questions about other sign issues, he advised me that given the new Federal standards for signage, that he will talk to the new overseers and see how receptive they are to our prototype Connecticut shields.  When he gets them out, he still gets positive comments, but at least one guy who was a roadblock has retired, so he thinks it is a good time to try again...(I noted that if the Feds are requiring hex or prismatic faces, then now would be a great time to switch to bring new signs online with the changes Fed expectations....

So, we will see.  While the money still isnt there, Jeff figures minds might be more open to a change, especially if it can be sold as a way to help promote tourism....

so, we shall see.....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Quillz

What are the new federal standards for signage and where can I see one of these prototype Connecticut shields?

Ian

Quote from: Quillz on May 24, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
where can I see one of these prototype Connecticut shields?

Look at his avatar.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

Ah, I thought that was an old-style shield that was discontinued. That does look nice, clean and simple.

wytout

Quote from: ctsignguy on May 24, 2011, 05:50:28 PM

So, we will see.  While the money still isnt there, Jeff figures minds might be more open to a change, especially if it can be sold as a way to help promote tourism....

so, we shall see.....

I tried the tourism argument when I was "pedaling" my signs. 

Good luck!  I really do hope you can make this a reality.  And I'm glad you haven't given up the fight.  As a CT resident who longs for a distinct state route shield, I am grateful for your efforts
-Chris

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Scott5114

Why not bring up the possibility of gradually phasing the signs in as old ones need replacement? That's the route SC is going with their new shields. You don't need to go the Oklahoma route and replace all the signs in a year.

Is there a major anniversary of anything in Connecticut's history that you could use as an excuse to "commemorate"? Oklahoma's new shield design was expressly done for the dual purposes of commemorating the state's centennial and replacing all the worn out signage in the state.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

400th anniversary of the first European exploration, 2014.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Still like wytout's version better...

Alps

Time to grab some bolt cutters and head to Connecticut.

Quillz

It'd be nice if some other states would move toward cutout shields, but I guess the federal standards won't allow for that.

papaT10932

Not only would this sign change be a victory for Connecticut, but it would also be a victory for New England!
I await the day when I log onto the forum and see a thread titled "Conn Signs approved!" Keep up the good work.  :clap:

I would like to add one point. The tourism argument is weak. Just because CT gets new signs doesn't means hoards of tourists will start flocking to the state. They know that.
A stronger and more practical argument is in the CT square's similarity to surrounding states (Mass and R.I.). Especially on BGS, squares for all three neighboring states are confusing. (I know I've been confused on occasion as to which state I was actually in.) Not only would a new sign be good for state pride as it would distinguish from Mass and R.I., but also practically in the aid of New England of drivers.

connroadgeek

I think the plain square for state route markers is fine. You can print bigger numbers in the same area making the sign more legible from a greater distance, especially at night which is important since lit signs aren't used. Besides, I don't think the state highway marker helps you figure out what state you're in. The big signs at state borders do. That would be equivalent to including the state after towns and cities to avoid confusion as to what state you're in.

agentsteel53

I never get confused as to what state I am in to require state highway markers to differentiate me. 

the difference is solely aesthetic - having the same marker everywhere would be boring.  (ugh, generic circle, thanks 1948 MUTCD!) 

the squares are just about the most boring state markers imaginable - Connecticut should use a little more imagination.  and besides, it can be shown that for two- and three-digit markers, wytout's design can fit the same size numbers.  ctsignguy's design (which I personally prefer) isn't quite as flexible, but is more than adequate.  both would be a significant improvement from the boring square!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 26, 2011, 09:14:28 PM
I never get confused as to what state I am in to require state highway markers to differentiate me. 

the difference is solely aesthetic - having the same marker everywhere would be boring.  (ugh, generic circle, thanks 1948 MUTCD!) 

the squares are just about the most boring state markers imaginable - Connecticut should use a little more imagination.  and besides, it can be shown that for two- and three-digit markers, wytout's design can fit the same size numbers.  ctsignguy's design (which I personally prefer) isn't quite as flexible, but is more than adequate.  both would be a significant improvement from the boring square!
What really sucks is how most states used to have unique cutout shields then slowly phased them out. Fortunately, California hung onto theirs.

Scott5114

You could also make the argument that at higher speeds a Connecticut route marker looks a lot like a speed limit sign (both white squares with large numbers). I know I've made that mistake in Texas and Illinois before (though I quickly sorted it out after a double take).

Quillz

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 27, 2011, 10:07:24 AM
You could also make the argument that at higher speeds a Connecticut route marker looks a lot like a speed limit sign (both white squares with large numbers). I know I've made that mistake in Texas and Illinois before (though I quickly sorted it out after a double take).
That's why I think state route shields should be a color scheme other than white and black, it's too generic.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 27, 2011, 10:07:24 AM

Really? I suppose an R2-2P speed limit sign would be the closest thing to what you're talking about, though it distinctly says "TRUCK" across the top, so it'd be tough to mistake that for a route marker. It seems like the area of the route marker signs is fixed, so in that case, being able to make the numbers as big as possible is paramount. The black background and state abbreviation of the sign also poses some problems in that it reduces the area available for printing the route number, and good luck reading a sign with a black background at night. I like the design, but it's not practical unless the minimum size of the sign is doubled to bring the route numbers to full height.

wytout

Quote from: connroadgeek on May 27, 2011, 07:13:22 PM
being able to make the numbers as big as possible is paramount. The black background and state abbreviation of the sign also poses some problems in that it reduces the area available for printing the route number, and good luck reading a sign with a black background at night. I like the design, but it's not practical unless the minimum size of the sign is doubled to bring the route numbers to full height.

I disagree, Half of the route shield in the state use a much smaller number leaving piles of white space, I can see the numbers fine (like the abounding piles of signs able to fit unmodified series D for 3 di's in a regular ct square w/ much room left over).

Many states with unique state route shields have character heights that are less than that on MUTCD compliant US and interstate route Shields.  Look at Colorado, South Carolina, Michigan, North Carolina, Louisiana, and even many Florida state shields, they all have smaller numbers than their US Route counterparts.

I believe on a 24 inch square the standard height is 12 inches... i could be wrong and correct me if I am, but ctsignguy's prototypes look to have approx 10" numbers.  We have ct shield right now w/ 8" numbers in them.

And lets face it, most of the route shields in CT up to the latest replacements use grabage engineer grade sheeting.  Most of them have been up a while, and a good number hardly retroreflect at all at night... I'd trade in signs i can't see at all anymore at night, for some cool shields that we can take pride in.  And I'm sure if they were made w/ high grade prism sheeting, they'd glow and be very visable at night.
-Chris

Scott5114

The size of the numbers on the Conn. prototype appears to be no smaller than that on Oklahoma's shields, at least, and their 3-digit blanks use Series B.

ctsignguy, do you have a spec drawn up for this?

myosh_tino

Quote from: wytout on May 27, 2011, 08:36:38 PM
Many states with unique state route shields have character heights that are less than that on MUTCD compliant US and interstate route Shields.  Look at Colorado, South Carolina, Michigan, North Carolina, Louisiana, and even many Florida state shields, they all have smaller numbers than their US Route counterparts.

I believe on a 24 inch square the standard height is 12 inches... i could be wrong and correct me if I am, but ctsignguy's prototypes look to have approx 10" numbers.  We have ct shield right now w/ 8" numbers in them.
Add California to the list of states that use smaller digits on route shields.  The 25x24 California route shield uses 10-inch digits while the 31.25x30 California route shield uses 12-inch digits.

It's probably worth noting that...
the 24-inch US route shield uses 10-inch digits
the 30-inch US route shield uses 12-inch digits
the 24-inch Interstate shield uses 8-inch digits
the 36-inch Interstate shield uses 12-inch digits
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Quillz

Wouldn't the spacing between numerals actually be a stronger factor towards distance recognition rather than size? After all, that's one of the stated goals of Clearview, was to give more spacing between the letters (by default, anyway.)

Most state route shields that use smaller numeral height than what is recommended by the MUTCD seem to have adequate enough spacing to still be legible.

ctsignguy

To answer a few of the questions that have popped up here.

Current CT standard is SUPPOSED to be 12' numerals on State shields, but Jeff has admitted that they dont always follow that rule when they sticky-on numbers as opposed to screening them.  The numbers I used were 10", and Jeff and i discussed how spacing could be played with with teh State outline and the word 'CONN' to allow for the larger numbers while still maintaining the character of the original sign.  As Jake noted, my design isnt quite as versatile as wytout's but there still is the wiggle room to accommodate 2 Series C/D or 3 Series B numbers (I think ConnDOT will be one of the last states in the country to use B fonts...)

I would imagine the design would look better with hex or prismatic sheeting, especially at night
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

papaT10932

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2011, 11:09:02 PM
Is there a major anniversary of anything in Connecticut's history that you could use as an excuse to "commemorate"? Oklahoma's new shield design was expressly done for the dual purposes of commemorating the state's centennial and replacing all the worn out signage in the state.

I just thought I'd mention that Maine's bicentennial year is upcoming in 2020. If Maine was to implement a "South Carolina" style implementation for new highway shields beginning soon, it's completion could be scheduled in time for it's bicentennial. This idea could be easily pitched to the Maine DOT. Something to consider...

realjd

wytout, can you post a picture of your concept? I'm just curious for comparison's sake.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.