News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maps/Atlases

Started by BigMattFromTexas, April 04, 2009, 07:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I have about 7 Texas maps,2 Atlas's,1 Kansas map, and 1 Iowa map not to mention about 20 city/metro area maps from hotels and TxDOT places whatever there called.
Just wondering how many maps and the rest yall have

BigMatt

corco

I've got official state highway maps for all fifty states from the 2004-2006 run, plus several more recent ones. i have in the mail on the way a 2009 Quebec map. I also have official Washington State highway maps from 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1974, 1978, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2006-7, 2008-9, full Rand McNallys from 1994, 1996, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and a few late 40's Washington-Oregon-Idaho gas station maps (Signal, Richfield, Mobil). I've also got a 1993 Gousha and a 2001ish Canadian road atlas

un1

RandMcNally Maps:
- Minneapolis - St Paul
- Duluth, MN
- Maidson, WI

MapArt Maps:
- Thunder Bay, ON
- Sudbury, ON
- Toronto
- Ottawa
- Regina, SK
- Vancouver, BC
- 3 Ontario Roads atlas'.
- Manitoba (including Winnipeg)

CAA Maps:
- Interstate 35
- Interstate 75
- Interstate 24
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

All WSDOT maps, 1993-present

All Randy McNally atlases, 2005-present

mightyace

I've never inventoried mine but I have nearly all Rand McNally's from since the early 70s.  Plus I have a large collection of official state maps and gas station maps.  I got both granddad's collections so I have stuff that goes back to the 1930s.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

I have several Rand McNally atlases (large scale); 1987, 2007, 2008 and 2009 plus dozens of State Highway maps. I also have a Georgia wall map hanging in my kitchen  :cool:

BigMattFromTexas

i got a Mississippi, Kansas, Oregon, Washington State, and a couple other state maps last night of the DOT websites

deathtopumpkins

Heheh Chris you're not the only one. I used to have a jumbo map of the southeast US on my wall that I plotted out everywhere I've been on, as well as used to track hurricanes. It got a bit torn up trying to take down when I moved though...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

corco

Yep- I have giant maps of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and Nebraska up on my walls where I cross out a route every time I drive it

Bryant5493

Re: Chris' post
I've got that same Georgia map in my room. Two actually. I also have a map of Indiana, Nevada, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Arkansas and Missouri. I also have a map of Fulton County, GA, as well.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

yanksfan6129

I own only one atlas: 2007 Rand McNally

eventually .  .  .

Sykotyk

I've never saved any. I had a 1994 RM atlas, that I wish I had kept. Mine get abused from wear and tear (especially when out driving) that I go through many every year.

Wish I had kept that one, though. Would've been nice to see all the updates from then until now. One in particular is US78 in Mississippi and Alabama becoming a limited access highway.

Sykotyk

Tom

I once had road maps (official highway, AAA, + gas station maps) from the 30's through the 60's that I collected, and 1 of Jackson, Michigan in a green folder type from 1927.  After I moved away from home, I had planned 2 get them out of there someday, but my mother had other ideas, and I can only hope that they're in someone's possession and not in a landfill.  I probably can never replace every single 1, but some I'm currently looking 2 replace are a 1962 Ohio Official Highway Map, 1966 Hammond Road Atlas, 1966 + 1967 Rand McNally Road Atlases, 1967 Rand McNally Interstate Road Atlas, 1969 Rand McNally Pocket Mini Road Atlas, and 1971 Rand McNally Road Atlas. :coffee:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mapsandatlases/?yguid=148538425

Alps

I showed a road enthusiast who finally met one of us for the first time my old map collection.  I have about 50-60 current maps of states, provinces, regions, cities, countries.  Then I have about 15-20 old NJ maps and another 20-30 retired maps that have been supplanted by newer versions or are just otherwise old.  So I'd say over 100 total.

Chris

Wow, that was a "quick check"?  :-D

I just ordered the 2010 Rand McNally Large Scale atlas. They sell it for 28 dollars here, seems more expensive than in the US, but many road atlases in Europe are too expensive IMO, 30 - 40 dollars for nationwide atlases are no exception.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Bryant5493 on April 05, 2009, 01:15:34 PM
Re: Chris' post
I've got that same Georgia map in my room. Two actually. I also have a map of Indiana, Nevada, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Arkansas and Missouri. I also have a map of Fulton County, GA, as well.

Be well,

Bryant

I used to keep a 1925 map of Columbus along with a 1932 map of Suburban Philadelphia (aka The Main Line) in my bedroom along with a map of the Louisiana State Univ. campus in my kitchen.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Chris

What happened to the Rand McNally 2010 large scale road atlas? My order was cancelled at my Dutch retailer, but I can't find it on the Rand McNally site either...  :confused:

florida

This might be off-topic, but I didn't want to make a new thread...

In the '95 to '97-ish Rand McNally's, did they have insets for Rochester, NH and Dover, NH? I swear I remember seeing those, but can't find them, and most of you guys have these atlases :biggrin:
So many roads...so little time.

Chris

After another 2 failed orders, and no sign of them on the Rand McNally site, I finally got an email that my 2010 Large Scale atlas has been shipped. Hope to find it in the mail tomorrow.

deathtopumpkins

Chris: I actually just picked up that exact Atlas from Barnes & Noble this morning...  :-D
I had to ask for it though, they didn't have any atlases stocked at the time, much less my preferred brand...  :rolleyes:

And you're right about it not being on the website... odd.  :-/
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

It came in the mail today  :clap:

I see the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis is still shown as U/C in the 2010 atlas, weird, because it opened a couple of months ago.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Chris on June 30, 2009, 12:52:14 PM
It came in the mail today  :clap:

I see the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis is still shown as U/C in the 2010 atlas, weird, because it opened a couple of months ago.
Must be a different release - I glanced at an atlas in a Wal-mart and it showed completed
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

BigMattFromTexas

I got some more maps: Del Rio, San Angelo, El Paso, Greater El Paso, Big Bend National Park (topographical), and Des Moines. Im gonna get a Rand McNally DFW map and a Houston city map. A greater Houston map was $6.00 and the Dallas map was $9.28, It would be cheaper to get a RMN map from Wal-Mart
BigMatt

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2009, 06:43:09 AM
Not a big fan of Rand McNally anymore.  I've long gravitated towards the American Map style of cartography.  Even using something similar to that in a few of my GIS projects...
I noticed a couple mess-up on the Rand McNally San Angelo map: First-off they messed up my street name :( , then they said a San Angelo school was WAY away from where it is, i could say more but im not just gonna go on and on about that. :)
BigMatt

Chris

IMO, the Rand McNally Large Scale atlases could use some more detailed state maps, for Texas, Michigan and "empty" states like Idaho, North Dakota and Maine.

Also, metro maps should be bigger, most of them are still the size of 20 years ago, while cities have grown exponentially since then. For instance, the Rand McNally atlas only shows the I-285 area of Atlanta detailed, while the city has grown much bigger since.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.