News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best/Worst Signage by State

Started by DrZoidberg, February 01, 2009, 02:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrZoidberg

This may help with agentsteel's US 78 question.  Great site, I might add.

http://www.geocities.com/usend7079/End078/end078.htm
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

mrivera1

I would have to say California has the best.  Although CA's signage is the oldest (just pick any random piece of freeway signage in LA County or on I-15/I-215 at the base of the Cajon Pass), it is still remarkably effective.  I have never gotten lost once in California.  There might be some bias in that, figuring I'm a native Californian.  Exits are signed accordingly; thru routes as well.  'Tis all I have to say about that.
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Scott5114

Kansas is almost certainly the best in my book. Clear, consistent signage... all concurrencies are marked (even when I-35 runs concurrent with three US routes they're all signed). The signs are very reflective and the state highway shield is unique and easy to spot.

New Mexico has to be among the worst. Only done a little driving through NM, where I encountered a state highway intersection which contained absolutely no arrows. Just two shields and a fork in the road. I had to guess that since the highway I wanted had its shield posted on the right that the right fork was correct. Thankfully I was right, or who knows where I would have ended up. I've looked through some NM pictures and it looks the whole state is similarly bad.

The District of Columbia is pretty bad, too. There's this unsigned interstate that branches off I-395 that you have to take to get to DC 295 from I-395. Well, as if having a road with no real easy name isn't difficult enough, I was trying to find DC 295...there it is on one gantry, but by the next, the exit is renamed to "Pennsylvania Avenue". Couldn't determine if that was where I wanted to go or not, so I passed it up–and ended up getting dumped onto a surface street in Anacostia. Finally just ended up giving up finding DC 295 and going back to the Capital Beltway and going around that way instead.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Voyager

South Carolina had some pretty bad signage in the areas that I was. Oh and the Charlotte area of NC was just unbelieveable.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Tarkus

Oregon's marking of highways, particularly downtown Portland, is pretty bad.  It's partially messed up a little because they've actually moved the routing on US-26 . . . it used to be routed down Market and Clay down to Naito, then down Naito to the Ross Island ramps.  Now, it's very briefly multiplexed with I-405, then up 5th/6th into the "Willy Wonka Zone", as I call it, where it curves around and does some really weird stuff--none of which is well-marked--before getting onto the Ross Island.

OR-10, OR-43 and OR-99W get lost in the Willy Wonka Zone as well, and the signage tends to contradict where they actually begin and end.  They really ought to just get a big bulldozer and level some of those office buildings in the way.  The Willy Wonka Zone is one of the worst designed setups out there. 

Plus there's all the post-2002 routes that aren't signed yet, or are badly signed. 

I'm actually a huge fan of our variant Speed Limit signs without the word "Limit", though, even if the FHWA doesn't like them. 

DrZoidberg

QuoteOregon's marking of highways, particularly downtown Portland, is pretty bad.  It's partially messed up a little because they've actually moved the routing on US-26 . . . it used to be routed down Market and Clay down to Naito, then down Naito to the Ross Island ramps.  Now, it's very briefly multiplexed with I-405, then up 5th/6th into the "Willy Wonka Zone", as I call it, where it curves around and does some really weird stuff--none of which is well-marked--before getting onto the Ross Island.

OR-10, OR-43 and OR-99W get lost in the Willy Wonka Zone as well, and the signage tends to contradict where they actually begin and end.  They really ought to just get a big bulldozer and level some of those office buildings in the way.  The Willy Wonka Zone is one of the worst designed setups out there. 

Plus there's all the post-2002 routes that aren't signed yet, or are badly signed. 

I'm actually a huge fan of our variant Speed Limit signs without the word "Limit", though, even if the FHWA doesn't like them. 

- Downtown Portland, at least when I last drove through it, still has Clay signed as West 26, not so sure if Market is signed as East 26.  You are correct that 26 does multiplex with I-405 for about 1/2 mile, and it is signed, but once you exit 405, good luck!

- Another interesting note on OR-10 and the Ross Island Bridge, is that 10 is signed on the western end of the bridge, even though it doesn't actually start until it splits from Barbur a few miles south.

- There is at least one OR-99W shield along Barbur Blvd.  I hit it a few times a week if I go up Corbett to Barbur (I work on John's Landing and sometimes use this as an alternative to I-5)

- OR 43 is signed as Macadam "loops" around to I-5 south, but it simply disappears.  Now that I think about it, does Oregon use "END" shields at all on their highways?  I've never seen one.

Oregon just isn't bad about route signing, they're also bad about updating them.  Drive along 217 and see for yourself.  There's a few really old school 217 signs.

barcncpt44

Alabama does a somewhat good job signing its roads, but a lot of the signs are very, very old and fading badly.  My state with the best signs would be missouri.  whenever i travel there i like the evry .2 mile milemarker and all the signs are very new and routes are signed well.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

DrZoidberg

I read something on MTR a while back that CA doesn't multiplex highways at all.  If that's the case, does that give I-10 a small "gap" near downtown LA where it technically multiplexes with I-5?  I haven't driven that stretch of I-10....going east, are you directed onto 5 to continue on along I-10?

Alex

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 04, 2009, 07:50:53 PM
I read something on MTR a while back that CA doesn't multiplex highways at all.  If that's the case, does that give I-10 a small "gap" near downtown LA where it technically multiplexes with I-5?  I haven't driven that stretch of I-10....going east, are you directed onto 5 to continue on along I-10?

California just does not have that many overlaps. However U.S. 95 and Interstate 40 is signed. The overlap between Interstate 5 and 10 is so short that once they merge, the sign bridges already tout the split.

See the bottom of http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/i-005nf_ca.html and http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/i-005sq_ca.html

DrZoidberg

Thank you, aaroads, for clarifying that.

Bryant5493

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 02, 2009, 02:45:01 PM
Georgia is home to the absolute most hideous signing error in my experience.  I was going down a road in Atlanta at night that dead-ends .... silently, with no warning, with a *black tarp* over a pile of cinder blocks.

I was doing 35 (speed limit was marked as 35 or 40) and I basically had to slam the brakes at the last second.

Yeah, good you didn't hit that.

I know one time, I was merging onto I-75 northbound from Akers Mill Road (or Cumberland Boulevard, can't remeber which one connects with I-75), and I was cruising along. I thought the entrance ramp to I-75 northbound turned into an exit-only lane, but no -- it ended abrutly. Good thing no one was already on the freeway mainline.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

DrZoidberg

Another signing question that jumped into my head was the use of Freeway Entrance signs.  Is CA the only state to do this?

corco

Washington uses Freeway Entrance signs fairly religiously, and I've seen a couple in Idaho, but none in Wyoming

Alex

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 05, 2009, 07:16:08 PM
Another signing question that jumped into my head was the use of Freeway Entrance signs.  Is CA the only state to do this?

Nevada uses them see example, and a few pop up in Utah minus the reassurance shield. I wish they used them everywhere. :camo:

Tarkus

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 04, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
Oregon just isn't bad about route signing, they're also bad about updating them.  Drive along 217 and see for yourself.  There's a few really old school 217 signs.

Yes, there's that one really old OR-217 shield on the northern Hall Blvd overpass (near Washington Square).  That's the only old school shield I remember of the top of my head at the moment, though I kind of vaguely remember there being one near 99W as well.  I'd imagine it probably dates to when the actual freeway was just opened in the 1970s. 

OR-99W was really only signed on the "Pacific Highway" section in Tigard before, so it's interesting to hear there's shields on Barbur now.  Some of the ODOT maps I've seen show it going down Barbur and splitting off at the Naito Parkway interchange, then going over the Steel Bridge and getting lost, though I believe historically it was routed down Interstate Avenue and joined up with 99E again somewhere near Marine Drive.

I've always considered OR-43 to end there at SW Kelly Avenue--which, supposedly, is US 26 WB, but it's the Willa Wonka Zone, so who knows.

I also wish they'd sign First Avenue/Glencoe Road between OR-8 in Hillsboro and US-26 in North Plains as part of OR-219, too.  It's a major road, and it'd only be logical to have that highway designation continue up to a US highway, even if it is county-maintained--which has a precedent anyways with all of OR-210 and parts of OR-8 and 10.

I think this may be material for another topic in the West Coast Roads area. :biggrin:

-Alex (Tarkus)

Freewayjim

I always though Maryland has great signage, Texas was surprisingly weak.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

FLRoads

Florida is pretty good when it comes to its signage but it is not perfect. The state does have a knack for this:

Eastbound US 90 and Southbound US 331 multiplex just west of DeFuniak Springs

US 331 having a junction with itself one mile later...

This is a common occurrence in Florida in regards to multiplexed routes, especially the US highways.  The only thing I can think of as to why FDOT does this is to alert motorists who enter the highway after the multiplex begins...otherwise it doesn't really make any sense.

Sykotyk

Quote from: aaroads on February 05, 2009, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 04, 2009, 07:50:53 PM

California just does not have that many overlaps. However U.S. 95 and Interstate 40 is signed. The overlap between Interstate 5 and 10 is so short that once they merge, the sign bridges already tout the split.

See the bottom of http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/i-005nf_ca.html and http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/i-005sq_ca.html

I've driven that. First time, it startled me because I thought I had gotten off I-10 by mistake as there was no reassurance sign as you bank to the right after the underpass. It isn't until a quartermile when you're merged with I-5 that there's a sign indicating that I-10 exits to the right. Considering it's the junction of the 101, it's easy to assume you took the wrong road.

Sykotyk

DrZoidberg

QuoteOR-99W was really only signed on the "Pacific Highway" section in Tigard before, so it's interesting to hear there's shields on Barbur now.

I've only seen two along Barbur.  One is seen when driving up Corbett prior to turning onto Barbur.  The shield simply reads "99W <-->"  The other one was seen near the Fred Meyer at Terwilliger.  Pulling out onto Barbur, signs direct traffic to northbound I-5 and 99W. I'll try and snap a picture next time I'm over that way.

Revive 755

A minor correction to my rant on NDOR's poor signage of the US 77/I-80 multiplex:  there is a sign on NB US 77 instructing US 77 traffic to follow I-80 EB:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.80603,-96.750412&spn=0,359.978027&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.805804,-96.750257&panoid=gVjyskXxlDW4W1yM2O-a7A&cbp=12,14.547315505654353,,0,2.3705967338992666

That said, I have a few new complaints:

1) Signage in the work zone on I-80 around Lincoln is subpar.  First, they need to list more than the exit number on some of the temporary signs.  Shouldn't be too hard to add a shield for US 77 and I-180.  Then there are spots where the construction is pretty much finished for now, like on EB I-80 at the US 6/Waverly Exit, yet there is no signage marking the exit for US 6.

2) The eastern US 77/NE 92 intersection is poorly marked, and this is extremely apparent after dark.  If not better signage, it needs more reflectors or better lighting.  It also probably should have an advisory speed for the SB-WB ramp.

3) Poor business route signage.  Since the business routes are not state maintained, this varies from city to city, but Fremont is definitely not good at signing business routes.

4) Signage on EB I-80 approaching the I-480 interchange neglects to provide details for those wanting to use SB US 75:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.222859,-95.981841&spn=0,359.956055&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.222818,-95.981965&panoid=cVY2hbpjyiFToINJR4fapQ&cbp=12,69.0850188772257,,0,-22.240617836803594

geoking111

I wish California would put up the direction of the route(s) on some of its BGS. I don't like seeing an interstate or state highway with out any indication if the route is going north, south, east, or west.

Sykotyk

Worst signage in Lincoln was going from I-80 to NE-2 to cut down to Kansas City.

I wonder if/when they'll ever build a southern bypass around Lincoln for those going I-80 to NE-2?

Sykotyk

Hellfighter

On M-10, there are two different control cities. At I-75 and at I-94, the control city is Southfield. But just a few miles north at M-8, it suddenly becomes Lansing! WTF?  :ded:

DrZoidberg

Another strike for Oregon DOT.  OR 217, a major artery on Portland's west side....not a single reassurance marker heading north for the entire length.  Also, OR 210, Scholls Ferry Rd, not a single reassurance marker.   The only way you know it's 210 is the sign guiding you off of 217.

xonhulu

"OR-99W was really only signed on the "Pacific Highway" section in Tigard before, so it's interesting to hear there's shields on Barbur now.[/quote]

I've only seen two along Barbur.  One is seen when driving up Corbett prior to turning onto Barbur.  The shield simply reads "99W <-->"  The other one was seen near the Fred Meyer at Terwilliger.  Pulling out onto Barbur, signs direct traffic to northbound I-5 and 99W. I'll try and snap a picture next time I'm over that way. "

There are also overhead signs on Naito north of the split with Barbur.  Two on southbound near the US 26 exit which mark the route as OR 10/99W and one on northbound which identifies it as US 26/OR 99W, which is right after a reassurance assembly indicating it's US 26/OR 10.

There used to be reassurance markers on southbound Barbur south of Corbett, but they've been gone awhile.  I do have a picture of them if I can retrieve it from the hard drive of my old PC.

In general, I agree that Oregon's signing is generally poor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.