News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads without names or any sort of identifying mark

Started by inkyatari, August 08, 2017, 10:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

I live near two roads, Pine Bluff Rd. and Old Pine Bluff Rd. in Illinois.  There's a short, maybe 100 ft. tops connector street where the two roads are at their closest.  I've found no name for this road, or any sort of identifying mark.

For reference...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.346794,-88.384394,19.63z

Are there any other streets or roads that you know of like this?  Particularly longer ones.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hotdogPi

I assume you're excluding roads for malls.

However, this one might or might not count:

The road immediately south of the freeway (MA 213), for the back of the shopping plaza, is not the same as the other shopping plaza roads; it's more like a back entrance. The road eventually loops to the south (it's a bit hard to tell in the photo), and after crossing the major surface road at the bottom of the screen (MA 113), it becomes a normal road called Milk St.

It's about 4000 feet.

EDIT: https → http so that the image shows again
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

inkyatari

Not sure I'd count that, as it looks like just an entrance into the shopping center.

However, most malls at least name the roads in and out something like Mall Loop Dr...

EDIT:  I would say the bit behind the Wal Mart portion qualifies.

Chris19001

inkyatari

freebrickproductions

This connecting road between CR 30 and AL 35 near Limrock, AL in Jackson County isn't named or even part of a county route, apparently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6679621,-86.221076,265m/data=!3m1!1e3

However, one thing worth noting is that the FRA lists the crossing on the connecting road as being on CR 30, so I just usually refer to it as that, even if it's technically not part of CR 30.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mwb1848

Mississippi 617 and Mississippi 619 in Pascagoula are both largely devoid of any marking.

They serve Ingalls Shipbuilding – the state's largest employer – and Singing River Island. Mississippi 617 was named in honor of the long-time president of the company and Mississippi 619 was named for a ship homeported at Naval Station Pascagoula which used to be located on Singing River Island.

Here is the intersection of these two state highways:

https://goo.gl/maps/BajhdzKpFVN2

Good luck finding a street name sign much less a shield.

SectorZ

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S+Madison+Rd,+North+Billerica,+MA+01862/@42.594833,-71.2612238,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e3a13fcfad1e17:0x1b6adecdd4287ecf!8m2!3d42.5960434!4d-71.2611004

This one takes some explaining. The connector between S Madison and S Monroe is labeled as "S Madison" but it's not. No Billerica map, no other map, no signage on location, or anything give it a name. As you can see when you zoom in, S Madison continues to the southeast on its own to Oak St, with the property lines showing where it goes as a paper st.

bzakharin

https://goo.gl/EHhJ3A
This short freeway connects I-76, I-676, US 130, and NJ 168, but has no signed name or number (it is internally known as NJ 76C).

MNHighwayMan

Not sure if this counts, but old MN-101 between US-169 and MN-13 is no longer marked with its own number (just posted with signs leading you to MN-13 or to US-169/CR-101 at either end), but this section has tenth-mile posts that label it as "RAMP 101":

Internally it is known as MN-901B.

sbeaver44

For a long time I did not know the name of Old York Road (used as a shorter Rossville-Dillsburg connector versus PA 74) because there was very little signage at intersections. 

The whole road is 55 with no lights or stop signs on the road itself except at either end.  It connects Rossville to Dillsburg in 7 miles, while PA 74 does the same in 9 as it goes through Wellsville.  It always seemed like Old York should be PA 74.

Nexus 6P

inkyatari

Quote from: inkyatari on August 08, 2017, 10:36:23 AM
I live near two roads, Pine Bluff Rd. and Old Pine Bluff Rd. in Illinois.  There's a short, maybe 100 ft. tops connector street where the two roads are at their closest.  I've found no name for this road, or any sort of identifying mark.

For reference...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.346794,-88.384394,19.63z

Are there any other streets or roads that you know of like this?  Particularly longer ones.

I found my county's GIS system, and I found that this little connecting road actually does have a name...

Ready?

It's official name is "Connecting Rd."

kphoger

The county I grew (Rawlins County, KS) up in didn't have road names at all until around 2000 or so.  We owned a poster-sized map of the county with every road and every farmhouse marked on it.  The pastor of our church before my dad had kept a database of all the rural church members with a code system for getting to their farm.  So, for example, 6N3E1N2E1S sould mean:  6 miles north, then 3 miles east, then 1 mile north, then 2 miles east, then 1 mile south.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were still counties in the West that still don't have road names.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

This old U.S. 10 alignment in Powell County, Montana possibly fits this bill

https://goo.gl/maps/TTFEmfYzjEP2

There's a very loose argument to be made that it's "Montana Highway 88" and that's what I call it on my website (http://corcohighways.org/?p=731) with the caveat that I don't think it's called that. It's more likely an unnumbered state highway despite appearing in the MDT route logs as"Mont 88" from US 12 and I-90.

It's in the Powell County 911 database as US HIGHWAY 10, but that's obviously not accurate. There are no addressed structures along it so the name doesn't really matter.

Brandon

On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the roads
There were signs and lights and lines and things
There was 6 and geeks and rings
The first thing I met was a troll with a buzz
And the 'net with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the 'net was full of sound

I've been through Morris, Ill on a road with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
On the highway you can remember your name
'Cause there is that one for to give you a pain
La, la

After two days in the Morris sun
My skin began to turn red
After three days in the Morris fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead

You see I've been through Morris, Ill on a road with no name
La, la

After nine days I let the road run free
'Cause the highway had turned to sea
There were signs and lights and lines and things
There was 6 and geeks and rings
The ocean is a highway with it's roads underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the NIMBYs will give no love

You see I've been through Morris, Ill on a road with no name
La, la

(Apologies to America)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

roadman65

PA used to have the US 1 freeway in Bucks County not numbered until 1987 when the final segment opened between Oxford Valley and the Trenton Freeway in Morrisville.  For years where US 1 Business exits the freeway in Neshaminy it had an exit guide for US 1 North, but nothing on the straight through freeway ahead to even show a number or even some destination.

In Berks County, PA the current US 222 was also unnumbered until it got connected to US 422.  Ditto to PA 12 east of former US 222 (now US 222 Business) as it was just signed Pricetown from what is now US 222 Business and though referred to as part of Warren Street by locals it never had the name on ramp signs.

PA was always good about that one, but internally they used reference numbers similar to NY.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

In NC, there's an itty bitty stretch of undesignated freeway from I-795's offical end at US-70 in Goldsboro to the traffic light at the NC-581/Ash Street intersection. There's no designation other than a "Future I-795" sign that was posted fairly recently. Google Maps jumped the gun and labeled it as I-795 anyway.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

dfilpus

Quote from: LM117 on February 10, 2018, 04:24:08 PM
In NC, there's an itty bitty stretch of undesignated freeway from I-795's offical end at US-70 in Goldsboro to the traffic light at the NC-581/Ash Street intersection. There's no designation other than a "Future I-795" sign that was posted fairly recently. Google Maps jumped the gun and labeled it as I-795 anyway.
That stretch was part of US 117 when it was built as a freeway. When the US 117 freeway was converted to I-795, that segment was designated as NC 581 Connector in the route change paperwork. It was never signed as such.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2009_04_22.pdf

US 89

Quote from: corco on January 19, 2018, 02:45:02 PM
This old U.S. 10 alignment in Powell County, Montana possibly fits this bill

https://goo.gl/maps/TTFEmfYzjEP2

There's a very loose argument to be made that it's "Montana Highway 88" and that's what I call it on my website (http://corcohighways.org/?p=731) with the caveat that I don't think it's called that. It's more likely an unnumbered state highway despite appearing in the MDT route logs as"Mont 88" from US 12 and I-90.

It's in the Powell County 911 database as US HIGHWAY 10, but that's obviously not accurate. There are no addressed structures along it so the name doesn't really matter.

That was also the first place I thought of. It doesn’t show up as anything in TM, either. It sticks out in my memory because I’m missing the segment of US 12 between that road and the I-90 interchange.

Would that road be a primary or secondary Montana state highway?

LM117

Quote from: dfilpus on February 10, 2018, 08:02:50 PM
Quote from: LM117 on February 10, 2018, 04:24:08 PM
That stretch was part of US 117 when it was built as a freeway. When the US 117 freeway was converted to I-795, that segment was designated as NC 581 Connector in the route change paperwork. It was never signed as such.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2009_04_22.pdf

Yeah, I remember when it was US-117. I was living in Fremont (my hometown) at the time and used to commute on that road a lot before and after it became I-795.

What threw me off was I didn't know that NCDOT designated it as NC-581 Connector until you mentioned it. I just assumed that it went undesignated once I-795 took over the former US-117 freeway north of US-70 since there isn't any signage indicating otherwise. Thanks for the heads up.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman65

There is a stretch of Turnpike in Oklahoma that spurs off of US 412.  It is signed for Stillwater, but no reference, route, or name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrcmc888

If out of country examples are allowed, Japanese roads rarely have any sort of names at all.

SD Mapman

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 02:29:01 PM
The county I grew (Rawlins County, KS) up in didn't have road names at all until around 2000 or so.  We owned a poster-sized map of the county with every road and every farmhouse marked on it.  The pastor of our church before my dad had kept a database of all the rural church members with a code system for getting to their farm.  So, for example, 6N3E1N2E1S sould mean:  6 miles north, then 3 miles east, then 1 mile north, then 2 miles east, then 1 mile south.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were still counties in the West that still don't have road names.
I know Crook County WY didn't put up streetblades or pentagons until mid-late 2000s (can't really remember exactly when); that always bothered me whenever I crossed the border because I didn't know what the roads were called.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
There is a stretch of Turnpike in Oklahoma that spurs off of US 412.  It is signed for Stillwater, but no reference, route, or name.

That's the Cimarron Spur (and is duly noted as such in the control section maps). The H.E. Bailey has a spur like that too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.