News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Limon should be a control city

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 01, 2023, 02:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Ah, Limon. Beautiful Limon, Colorado, the most important town on I-70. Of course, due to it's great importance as THE MOST important junction in America, I believe that not only should Limon be a control city, the usage of it should be greatly increased.

So first, of course Limon should be signed on I-70 west! It makes sense, as Denver is only a place where people go to smoke weed. I believe that Limon should be signed going westbound on I-70 since Maryland (not Baltimore since I-70 doesn't go there) as it features the uber important US 24 junction to get to Colorado Springs, the greatest city in the American west. In the unamerican state of Colorado, Colorado Springs is a beacon of hope. It features two of the most important institutions in America: Focus on the Family and the Air Force Academy. Both quintessential American institutions! Going eastbound on I-70, Limon should be signed going east on I-70 since I-15. The reason for that is that Colorado is a state that any real American would not want to live in. Exiting at Limon onto US 287 allows us to get to one of the best states in America, Oklahoma. And besides, nobody wants to go to Denver anyway. Once you enter Limon, you enter the real America.

As you can see, any real American should support the usage of Limon on every single sign on I-70, due to it's great importance to America. Thank you and god bless America.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Did you lose a bet? Sounds like something I'd have to write if thspfc and I argued about something in the NFL thread.

on_wisconsin

From one of the past Limon threads:
Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

I'll support making Limon the new capital of America since it's more centrally located.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Hunty2022

Control City Freak isn't gonna be very happy about this.

Would we have a new 3di for Limon?
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

FrCorySticha

Quote from: on_wisconsin on April 01, 2023, 09:22:40 AM
From one of the past Limon threads:
Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

The town's name is a misspelling of the legendary lymon, found only in Sprite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHMh8HUPLx8

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hunty2022 on April 01, 2023, 10:08:03 AM
Control City Freak isn't gonna be very happy about this.

Would we have a new 3di for Limon?
Yes I-70 from Grand Junction to Limon would become I-870 as I-70 is getting rerouted through Colotado Springs

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Does Limon have a Buc-ees, a Cracker Barrel and a Waffle House?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 01, 2023, 09:12:29 AM
Did you lose a bet? Sounds like something I'd have to write if thspfc and I argued about something in the NFL thread.
Check the calendar

formulanone

Just to be the terrific douche nozzle that I am about the played-out Limon thing, I actually bought a Colorado sticker in Limon last year; a little store let me use the restroom so I bought something in return.

For anyone who's ever hoped that Yeehaw Junction was going to be a blast and a half, and wound up seriously disappointed, Limon is a worthy control city because what else is there east of Bennett, Colorado?

Quillz

No, no, the most important control city is Weed, CA. Every sign should direct motorists how to get to Weed.

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2023, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 01, 2023, 09:12:29 AM
Check the calendar
New record for the longest it's taken me to be fooled on April Fools. Almost got through the whole day.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 01, 2023, 01:13:03 PM
It has a state prison, which is nearly as good.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kalvado

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 02, 2023, 08:07:53 AM
Tangential question - what are the food and service options on those long haul highways? If Limon is indeed an important intersection, it could qualify for Pilot or something similar.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kalvado on April 02, 2023, 08:25:59 AM
Tangential question - what are the food and service options on those long haul highways? If Limon is indeed an important intersection, it could qualify for Pilot or something similar.

There are a TA and a Flying J (Pilot) diagonally across the freeway from each other.  I have no idea what's taking Love's so long to get in on the action.  https://goo.gl/maps/J1nmHXwxJq5skJUk8
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

hbelkins

Burlington and Hays are two that come quickly to mind for I-70 between Topeka and Denver.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

Limon makes sense as a control city for the non-interstate routes that feed into it. But for I-70 Denver/Kansas City should be control cities.
For 3 tier millage signs however, Limon should be tier 2 between Denver and Hays.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

JayhawkCO

Between Salina and Denver, you basically have Russell, Hays, Colby, Goodland, Burlington, and Limon.

Flint1979

Uh Limon is a control city and that isn't going to change.

Flint1979

Back in the day they used to have Standish as a control city for NB I-75 at the eastern terminus of US-10 and then SB the control cities were Flint and Detroit. At that point NB the control city is Mackinac Bridge and the SB control city is Saginaw which they have corrected now.

JayhawkCO

As I posted in another thread, I'm actually okay if Limon isn't a control city going westbound, but it should be eastbound. Limon is more of a "if you don't stop now, there's a whole lot of nothin' coming up" heading east than it is coming into Colorado.

Eastbound should be Limon, Colby, Hays, Salina, Topeka, Kansas City. Westbound should be Topeka, Salina, Hays, Colby, Burlington, Denver. I'd also be okay with Goodland instead of Burlington just since states tend to be a little more partial to in-state control cities.

I posted this chart a while back too, which shows the distances required in each direction to drive to another city of x population.  It shows the cities where there are "ledges" in ability to get hotels/food/services/auto-repair/etc.

HighwayStar

Obviously this comes down more to what a "control city" should be, which here is around here a deep philosophical, moral, and ethical question but I generally don't think control cities should be unidirectional where that applies (terminus cities are an obvious exception).
I don't think being the "last option" really qualifies something as a control city in my mind. That would be better served by making it the 2nd tier on the millage signs (and actually, I would argue that the 2nd tier on mileage signs should have services, unless it is a junction). The blue "last services for X miles" traveler information sign would also convey this better than making it a control city.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.