District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 18, 2012, 12:00:55 PM

I do not support speed cameras, but I also don't think the public has any right to know what, if any, tolerance the devices allow. If the speed limit is 50 mph, people don't really have a "right" to "expect" to be able to get away with going anything faster than that, even if the 50-mph limit is unreasonable.
You know the big kicker is the fact that the Freeway portion of NY Avenue is only 40 mph. and signs warn of cameras.  That should be 50 mph or even 60 would be safe.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2012, 06:25:25 PM

I do not support speed cameras, but I also don't think the public has any right to know what, if any, tolerance the devices allow. If the speed limit is 50 mph, people don't really have a "right" to "expect" to be able to get away with going anything faster than that, even if the 50-mph limit is unreasonable.
You know the big kicker is the fact that the Freeway portion of NY Avenue is only 40 mph. and signs warn of cameras.  That should be 50 mph or even 60 would be safe.

You're quoting me there, not "agentsteel53." That section of New York Avenue is now posted at 45 mph.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2012, 06:17:17 PM

Can I just say how unsuitable the DC shield is for an overhead sign? At least at this pitiful size.

froggie

QuoteYou know the big kicker is the fact that the Freeway portion of NY Avenue is only 40 mph. and signs warn of cameras.  That should be 50 mph or even 60 would be safe.

Outbound, perhaps, but not inbound.  And as 1995hoo mentioned, outbound has recently been increased to 45 MPH.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: Steve on December 19, 2012, 06:47:31 PMCan I just say how unsuitable the DC shield is for an overhead sign? At least at this pitiful size.
Agreed.  It uses space very inefficiently, especially for a rectangular shield.

1995hoo

It also appears, based solely on that admittedly grainy picture, that the "DC" that normally appears on the DC shield is missing. Not a big deal, just strikes me as odd.

agentsteel53

yeah, I was thinking to myself "while I agree with the general sentiment; I don't remember using that exact sequence of words".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2012, 06:27:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2012, 06:25:25 PM

You're quoting me there, not "agentsteel53." That section of New York Avenue is now posted at 45 mph.
I will not attempt to break the quote here, but SORRY!  I guess I need some work on this.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2012, 02:25:00 PM
yeah, I was thinking to myself "while I agree with the general sentiment; I don't remember using that exact sequence of words".
I do not know how I did this exactly, but I am sorry for it looking like you said something you did not.  I need to learn how to not mix two quotes together properly and how to get a quote from another topic to be commented on another too.  Hopefully I figure this one out.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2012, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2012, 02:25:00 PM
I do not know how I did this exactly, but I am sorry for it looking like you said something you did not.  I need to learn how to not mix two quotes together properly and how to get a quote from another topic to be commented on another too.  Hopefully I figure this one out.

Check the sticky information found at the following address for some tips on the quoting: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4000.0

My #1 tip is, don't try to edit the quotes if you're posting from a mobile phone. An iPad or similar device with a larger screen might be feasible, but when I've posted on my iPhone I've found that it's REALLY EASY to lose track of the "quote" and "end quote" tags!

1995hoo

WTOP reports that now the DC Council wants to LOWER the new speed limits back to what they were before and to deny the mayor any authority over such issues.

What a screwed-up government those people have over there. I guess they get the government they deserve.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2012, 04:44:20 PM
WTOP reports that now the DC Council wants to LOWER the new speed limits back to what they were before and to deny the mayor any authority over such issues.

What a screwed-up government those people have over there. I guess they get the government they deserve.
I did not try to find the quotes here.

Anyway, to add to this you have to remember Marion Barry was once mayor.  For those who were too young to remember he was a crackhead.  If a person like that can be elected, it proves your point about getting what you deserve.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2012, 04:44:20 PM

I did not try to find the quotes here.

Anyway, to add to this you have to remember Marion Barry was once mayor.  For those who were too young to remember he was a crackhead.  If a person like that can be elected, it proves your point about getting what you deserve.

More to the point in this forum, Barry was an enthusiastic participant in efforts to cancel planned but not built freeways in the District of Columbia and nearby Maryland, and "replace" them with Metrorail.  Even though Barry did not use and does not use transit, except at Metro ribboncutting events (there were quite a few of those during the years that he was Mayor-for-Life).  Even though he has a free lifetime Metro transit pass because he served on its Board of Directors.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: District police officer says a department speed camera is wrong

QuoteA District police officer who is challenging the accuracy of his own department's speed camera program said a discrepancy on a speeding ticket from the Third Street Tunnel helped him beat the charge, and could lead to many other dismissals that would force the city to give back hundreds of thousands of dollars.

QuoteSgt. Mark E. Robinson, who cast himself as a whistleblower, argued that the citation issued by a speed camera in the Third Street Tunnel was invalid because the camera should have been set to enforce a posted 40-mph construction-zone speed limit. Instead, the camera was set to enforce the 45-mph limit that is regularly in force there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

That's just silly. If it's enforcing 45 mph, it's certainly only catching people going faster than 40 mph.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Washington Post Dr. Gridlock blog: Key Bridge closed in both directions

QuoteThe Key Bridge is blocked in both directions due to a person possibly threatening to jump from the bridge, according to D.C. police.

QuotePolice report that a call came in at 4:42 p.m. from someone who spotted a man on the outside of the bridge rail. Police also reported that as of 5:30 p.m., the Whitehurst Freeway as well as 27th and K streets NW were also being shut down. Commuters are being diverted from eastbound M Street to Pennsylvania Avenue and from westbound M Street to Canal Road, which is creating massive headaches on M Street.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: D.C. Council to Secret Service: Give us easier parking for Obama's inauguration

QuoteIt was billed as a "security briefing,"  where the District's homeland security and public safety directors would update all 13 council members on the city's preparations for President Obama's inauguration later this month.

QuoteHomeland Security Director Christopher T. Geldart and Public Safety Director Paul Quander told members, for example, that the U.S. Secret Service is in charge but the city will have a backup command center at the ready should and emergency develop.

QuoteCouncil members, like the public, should also prepare for much of downtown to be locked down as early as Sunday afternoon prior to the Jan. 21 swearing-in ceremony on the Mall, officials said.

QuoteBut when it came time for council member questions, the meeting turned into a debate about the adequacy of the perks for council members wanting easy access to the inauguration.

And the biggest point of disagreement was over — you guessed it — parking.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Gray: All options on table to fix D.C. congestion

QuoteD.C. Mayor Vince Gray says new transportation strategies will need to be explored to accommodate the area's growing population.

QuoteGray says one of the long term goals of his Sustainable D.C. plan is to have 75 percent of trips be car-free by 2032.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: David Alpert: His vision for Greater Greater Washington and the District

QuotePart news site, part advocacy group, part community newsletter, Greater Greater Washington is like an unending handbook to being an engaged D.C. area resident. It draws more than 100,000 unique visitors a month.

QuoteWhile the blog has attracted an array of contributors, it's the vision of Alpert – a former software engineer with no formal planning experience – that has shaped the views of citizens and politicians on what a better city means and how to achieve it.

1995hoo

Found this great photo of Arlington Memorial Bridge and thought it belonged in this thread rather than starting a new thread just for one picture. Don't know when it was taken.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2013, 10:24:36 AM
Found this great photo of Arlington Memorial Bridge and thought it belonged in this thread rather than starting a new thread just for one picture. Don't know when it was taken.

I have never, ever seen the Memorial Bridge in an open position.  Interesting how the old and new Wilson Bridges look something like this when they were/are open.

I know it has an operators compartment somewhere built-in to the span, because in one of the bios of President Truman, it describes him being out for a walk (while he lived in the White House or the Blair House) and stopping to talk to the guy who opened and closed the bridge. I think access to that compartment was from a hatch in one of the sidewalks.

andrewkbrown

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2013, 10:24:36 AM

Sources I've read say it was opened for the last time on February 28, 1961.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

1995hoo

I believe it's been welded shut. The expansion of the 14th Street Bridge complex made the Memorial Bridge draw span useless because the 14th Street Bridge's outbound and HOV spans are not drawbridges; in addition, the construction of the Roosevelt Bridge (also without a draw span) meant that even if Memorial Bridge were to open, there's not really anywhere for a large vessel to go.

I've never seen it open either since I was not born the last time it opened, which is one reason I was happy to find that picture. Most people I know have no idea there's a draw span on that bridge and are surprised to learn of it, but when I point out how that arch is a different color they then usually see it immediately the next time they see that bridge.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Changes in I-395, East Capitol Street lanes among possible projects in transportation planning document

QuoteA stretch of Interstate 395 could be expanded to four lanes in the coming years while several D.C. roadways could lose lanes, regional planning officials said Wednesday.

QuoteThe changes to the area's long-range transportation plan took a step forward on Wednesday at a meeting of the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.