News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highways you're surprised it hasn't gotten truncated/decommissioned

Started by Some one, June 03, 2020, 07:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some one

As someone who likes US Highways and doesn't mind concurrencies as much as a lot of people do, there are a lot of highways (US and State) that still exist, despite them being replaced by other highways (most commonly interstates). What's a highway (any highway) you're surprised still exists.

For example, I'm surprised that US 42 still exists in Ohio, especially considering their approach to US 21 and 25. Though US 42 does stray away from I-71 for a bit, so this is somewhat justified. It's also shocking to see that US 81 is concurrent with I-29 from Watertown, SD all the way to the Canadian border (with the exception of a stretch from Manvel to Pembina, ND.

Roadgeekteen

US 5 would be gone if the New England states were like California.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rover_0

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Max Rockatansky

Pretty much all of the unconstructed highways in California that weren't legislatively deleted.  The list is absolutely massive despite how little chance any of them have being built. 

roadman65

GA Highway 23, being it does not connect to FL SR 23 anymore.  It's concurrency through the GA Bend of the St. Mary's River is not really warranted anymore.

US 181 in Texas, as I-37 replaced it.  Usually Texas likes to decommission or truncate every time an interstate parallels a part of or entire route. I-27 is the other exception, only because it's US routes continue on both ends of it all.  However US 181 ends at both ends at I-37 and goes between Corpus Christi and San Antonio.

US 92 and US 192 in Florida considering that I-4 replaced the former.  The latter is a child of US 92 and is less than 100 miles long.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

How about both US 85 and US 87?  Both concur with I-25 in Colorado and New Mexico and both states ignore their existence.  Especially US 85, at least US 87 continues north of Denver and many miles south of its deviation in New Mexico all the way to Port Lavaca on the Gulf Coast of Texas.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

US 223 has needed to go for quite a long time given it's bogus terminus in Ohio.  I've always found it odd US 319 hasn't been scaled back off of a multiplex of US 98. 

zzcarp

Quote from: Some one on June 03, 2020, 07:18:20 PM
For example, I'm surprised that US 42 still exists in Ohio, especially considering their approach to US 21 and 25. Though US 42 does stray away from I-71 for a bit, so this is somewhat justified.

US 42 does serve a lot of communities not served by I-71 and never is/was concurrent with an Interstate, and I think it's appropriate to keep. US 25 and US 21 both had long stretches that were concurrent with the current freeway, and both had adjoining states that desired decommissioning (MI and WV, respectively).

It occurs like the east US 422 in PA should be decommissioned as its noncontinuous and doesn't leave PA. Keep the west US 422 from Cleveland to PA.

US 400 should be a Kansas intrastate route as it only leaves the state on multiplexes with other US routes.

So many miles and so many roads

TheHighwayMan3561

I would bet a lot of these are probably roads the DOTs would love to dump, but can't because of funding and/or local jurisdictions that won't take them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ozarkman417

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 03, 2020, 10:43:43 PM
I would bet a lot of these are probably roads the DOTs would love to dump, but can't because of funding and/or local jurisdictions that won't take them.
Like most of MO's lettered system.. That's why their broke

DandyDan

My local example (so local it's out my apartment window) is IA 122 going east from US 65 in Mason City to the east city limits. I know it was US 18 way back when, but I have no idea why IA 122 exists east of US 65. It doesn't go back to US 18.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 03, 2020, 10:21:26 PM
US 223 has needed to go for quite a long time given it's bogus terminus in Ohio. 

Why?  Without the concurrency with US-23 it still runs about 41 miles on its own, and that's not going to get turned back to the counties anytime soon.

I haven't seen an answer to this question so I'll ask again:  What's the point of "demoting" a US highway to a state highway solely for the purpose of conforming with an arbitrary rule (eliminating routes that are intrastate or <300 miles in length)?  I could see it if the state wants to do something that AASHTO won't approve (e.g. rerouting, adding designated alternate or business routes), but nothing changes with jurisdiction or who pays for maintenance/upgrades.  Change US-223 to M-223, and what is the gain? 

As a real-life example, I never understood the decommissioning of US-61 at Wyoming MN and redesignating the route north of there to the Canada border as MN-61.  Other than incurring the expense of replacing the route signage, what was the purpose?

NWI_Irish96

Indiana is pretty aggressive about truncating/decommissioning, so there aren't a lot of good options left.

US 35 doesn't really need to be a US highway north of Kokomo and could be truncated, though the truncated part should be state highways.

IN 111 doesn't need to be a state highway south of IN 211. There's absolutely nothing down there.

IN 450 doesn't really need to be a state highway at all. No towns on it and isn't the fastest way to get anywhere.

There are a few that INDOT has tried to get rid of but local jurisdictions won't take them: IN 120 west of CR 17, IN 933 east of IN 331, northern IN 931.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wanderer2575

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 04, 2020, 08:48:01 AM
US 35 doesn't really need to be a US highway north of Kokomo and could be truncated, though the truncated part should be state highways.

Again, what's the point?  Why truncate the US route if the truncated part is still going to be a state route?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 04, 2020, 09:00:07 AM

Again, what's the point?  Why truncate the US route if the truncated part is still going to be a state route?

Tell that to Arizona with AZ 89 and AZ 89A. 

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2020, 09:07:11 AM

I don't doubt that states have done it.  I'm asking if anyone can explain states' rationale for doing it.  It makes no sense to me.

Henry

US 199 is definitely one, especially since its parent doesn't exist anymore.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 04, 2020, 09:58:08 AM

I don't doubt that states have done it.  I'm asking if anyone can explain states' rationale for doing it.  It makes no sense to me.

I believe there are standards for US Routes that don't have to be maintained for State Routes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

US 11 and its splits. Everything north of Watertown, NY, is pretty much parallel to an interstate.

US 25W, since it basically parallels I-75 and I-40 and was no doubt created to give US 25 a branch through Knoxville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2020, 11:07:04 AM

I believe there are standards for US Routes that don't have to be maintained for State Routes.

Are there?  I've heard that so many times but never actually seen a "standard"  for US Routes.  Allegedly that's what happened with US 89 and it's alternate route through the mining community of Jerome. 

vdeane

I believe they have to meet AASHTO Green Book standards.  The application for a new number or a reroute has a page where DOTs have to note where the new route would be deficient under those standards.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on June 04, 2020, 01:37:36 PM
I believe they have to meet AASHTO Green Book standards.  The application for a new number or a reroute has a page where DOTs have to note where the new route would be deficient under those standards.

I seem to recall that's how US 666 being extended over UT 95 and UT 24 was denied.  I believe it had something to do with the road (I believe UT 95 at the time was mostly open range and dirt) and it not being direct enough.  I've never actually seen said standards myself and would be legitimately interested in reading them.   

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2020, 01:31:59 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2020, 11:07:04 AM

Are there?  I've heard that so many times but never actually seen a "standard"  for US Routes.  Allegedly that's what happened with US 89 and it's alternate route through the mining community of Jerome. 

US 65 Business was turned over to the city of Branson (MO) when the Skaggs roundabout was constructed.  The reason for that is that the hill grade on US 65 Business was too steep to allow a roundabout to be constructed.  Branson's solution was to take over that portion of the highway and thereby exclude it from the requirement.

While I don't specifically know that this is true, my assumption is that each State can have different standards for such things.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TEG24601

US 199.  Sure it crosses a state line, but still?

US 10, especially in Michigan.  Just run M-10 to "The Beaver" and call it good.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TEG24601 on June 04, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
US 199.  Sure it crosses a state line, but still?

US 10, especially in Michigan.  Just run M-10 to "The Beaver" and call it good.

US 199 at least was embroiled in the Winnemucca to the Sea saga for awhile.  US 199 is one of those highways that doesn't really have apparent regional importance until you end up driving it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.