California SR 83 (Euclid. Ave., San Bernardino County)

Started by M3100, October 10, 2020, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

I traveled this route yesterday (10/9/20); here are some pics from along the way.  It is entirely within San Bernardino County and (south to north) goes from Chino, through Ontario, to Upland.  The south end is rural; it then transitions through commercial and is residential in the northern segment.

1. The SR 71 offramp signs for Euclid Ave. all included the SR 83 shield.  This is northbound 71.

2. This is at the intersection with Riverside Drive.

3. I saw no roadside reassurance shields along the way.  The only one I saw on the route itself was on the SR 60 overpass.

4. This is at the intersection with Mission Blvd. in Ontario; Mission Blvd. was US 60 in years past.

5. This is view on Mission Blvd., facing west to the Euclid Ave. intersection

6. This is the intersection with Holt. Blvd. also in Ontario; Holt Blvd. was US 70-99 in years past.

7. The northern terminus of the state highway is at I-10.  This view faces south on Euclid toward the I-10 interchange; I-10 is below grade.

8. This view is on Foothill Blvd. facing east at the Euclid Ave. interchange, in Upland.  Note the sign still refers to it as SR 83.  [I also drove several miles on Foothill Blvd.  I saw a few "Historic US 66" signs, but this was the only CA 66 sign I saw.]

9. According to an Auto Club (AAA) map from 1983, SR 83's northern terminus back then was with SR 30 at this intersection in Upland.  This sign remains at the corner of Euclid/19th Street, for westbound traffic on 19th.  SR 210 replaced SR 30 some years back; SR 210 has no interchange with Euclid Ave.

RZF

As a young kid growing up in Ontario, I was always surprised at the width of the street. It has some very wide medians, and I wonder if that's the reason why it hasn't been relinquished yet. Maybe they want CalTrans to preserve its vintage charm?

M3100

Quote from: RZF on October 10, 2020, 10:16:01 PM
As a young kid growing up in Ontario, I was always surprised at the width of the street. It has some very wide medians

In years past there was a Pacific Electric rail line that ran down the median in Ontario and Upland; I think it was abandoned in the 1930s.  The northern section now has a walking path down the median.

ClassicHasClass

The "unified 83-66" shield is the only one I've seen of CA 66 in that area. I don't know who maintains that stretch, but I'm sure the size discourages the sign thieves.

Max Rockatansky

CA 66 is making a comeback in terms of field signage.  It's signed now from the new segments of I-215.  But vinyl overlays on large background signs seems to be the only way to prevent them from getting stolen.

ARMOURERERIC

I remember when pic 1 was an at grade t intersection.

SeriesE

This could have been a good corridor for a mid point north-south freeway between CA-57 and I-15

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 12, 2020, 07:36:33 PM
CA 66 is making a comeback in terms of field signage.  It's signed now from the new segments of I-215.  But vinyl overlays on large background signs seems to be the only way to prevent them from getting stolen.

Which is funny because almost all of it has been relinquished to local jurisdictions.

sparker

Quote from: SeriesE on October 14, 2020, 02:35:02 AM
This could have been a good corridor for a mid point north-south freeway between CA-57 and I-15

At one point there was an unadopted CA 142 corridor that essentially followed Central Avenue from Chino Hills up to (now) CA 210 near the Clarmont/Upland line (aka the L.A./S.B. county line as well); early speculation was that it was to be a N-S freeway from CA 71 northward.  Of course, like many unadopted corridors from the '59 initial statewide freeway/expressway system, it never advanced beyond a line on a map.   Dense development in Chino, Montclair, and adjoining cities essentially rendered that corridor DOA after the late '60's.  But CA 83 was never included in the freeway & expressway system; it was always intended to remain a surface facility.   

ClassicHasClass

Was over in downtown Rialto today. Spotted a 66 shield at the southeast corner of Riverside and Foothill. In good shape, so the thieves missed at least one of them.

sparker

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 24, 2020, 11:58:54 PM
Was over in downtown Rialto today. Spotted a 66 shield at the southeast corner of Riverside and Foothill. In good shape, so the thieves missed at least one of them.

CA 66 or US 66?  Last time I was out on Foothill in the Fontana/Rialto area, there were some "reproduction" US 66 signs that looked exactly like the reflectorized 1959-spec stuff the DOH was issuing back then.   I can see a reasonably broad market for genuine-looking US 66 shields; except for us roadgeeks, can't see a CA 66 sign having much interest to thieves. 

skluth

Quote from: sparker on October 26, 2020, 02:02:24 AM

CA 66 or US 66?  Last time I was out on Foothill in the Fontana/Rialto area, there were some "reproduction" US 66 signs that looked exactly like the reflectorized 1959-spec stuff the DOH was issuing back then.   I can see a reasonably broad market for genuine-looking US 66 shields; except for us roadgeeks, can't see a CA 66 sign having much interest to thieves.

I can. Just because some people are too stupid to know the difference.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on October 26, 2020, 07:17:38 PM

Every time a CA 66 shield pops up on eBay or a signage meet they usually have a $350-$600 dollar price tag, people know exactly what they are.  Even modern AZ 66s usually have a $200-$300 dollar asking price. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 26, 2020, 07:22:00 PM

Every time a CA 66 shield pops up on eBay or a signage meet they usually have a $350-$600 dollar price tag, people know exactly what they are.  Even modern AZ 66s usually have a $200-$300 dollar asking price. 

Wonder what a CA 69 shield is worth today?  Obviously it doesn't have the "mistaken identity" cachet of a "66" variant, but that route has been gone for 50 years as of this fall.  But so far no one has directly answered my original question:  was the 66 shield spotted in Rialto a state or US one -- Foothill Blvd. in that town has featured both over the last 15 years or so. 

ClassicHasClass

CA 66. Rialto did have some US 66 signs posted, but they weren't particularly noteworthy.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on October 27, 2020, 04:29:36 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 26, 2020, 07:22:00 PM

Wonder what a CA 69 shield is worth today?  Obviously it doesn't have the "mistaken identity" cachet of a "66" variant, but that route has been gone for 50 years as of this fall.  But so far no one has directly answered my original question:  was the 66 shield spotted in Rialto a state or US one -- Foothill Blvd. in that town has featured both over the last 15 years or so.

CA 69 was worth about $200 dollars and I missed out on it.  I stopped bidding at about $150.  Considering my affinity for CA 245 part of me regrets bidding to win that one.  Then again, I've only ever paid over $100 for a sign three times. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.