News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Started by webny99, March 03, 2023, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 10, 2024, 08:51:53 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2024, 01:08:46 PMDon't have to go to Thacher...not sure why'd they kick you out.  I've found a couple of cornfields for stargazing...lots of wide spots off the road to look up from and the like.
The park is closed at night.  It comes up on r/Albany whenever the northern lights might be visible and people ask where they can go to see them.

But a state highway goes right through it. :D

I do have to say I find it easier to find a quiet spot outside of Syracuse than outside the Albany area.  Seems there's more of an abrupt end to the development outside of the metro area of Syracuse, so you don't have to go that far to find the dark.

Gotta be a place out in Clarksville or out thattaway... :D
It's legal to drive through on NY 157.  What's not legal is stopping and staring at the sky.  Presumably the police treat it like that road in Estonia that passes through Russia.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Evan_Th

I saw the eclipse from Georgetown, TX!

In the morning, the sky was at least half clouded over, but my friends and I decided to stay and risk it.  There were lots of gaps in the clouds during the partial eclipse phase, and it was even more epic to watch through sometimes-thin clouds.  And then, about ten minutes before totality, everything cleared around the sun.

It was epic.  We heard the birds go silent, the crickets start chirping, and the dogs from the next house over whine and look around confused.

This's the second total eclipse I've seen (after Salem, OR, in 2017); I'm hoping to see another.  Spain 2026?

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2024, 12:43:18 PMIt's legal to drive through on NY 157.  What's not legal is stopping and staring at the sky.  Presumably the police treat it like that road in Estonia that passes through Russia.

Eh don't assume, it depends on whether the responsible agency has a stick up their ass or not.

My photos of the 2020 comet, coincidentally enough, were taken in a park that technically I wasn't supposed to be in at night but that rule is only enforced against people who cause trouble and no one stopped me.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on April 14, 2024, 12:13:04 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2024, 12:43:18 PMIt's legal to drive through on NY 157.  What's not legal is stopping and staring at the sky.  Presumably the police treat it like that road in Estonia that passes through Russia.

Eh don't assume, it depends on whether the responsible agency has a stick up their ass or not.

My photos of the 2020 comet, coincidentally enough, were taken in a park that technically I wasn't supposed to be in at night but that rule is only enforced against people who cause trouble and no one stopped me.
There are plenty of stories on Reddit of people getting kicked out of Thacher for stargazing, unless they're all lying to keep the riff-raff away?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.