News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ready for the blizzard?

Started by J Route Z, January 26, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 01:33:30 AM
By the end of everything it'll be no larger than a chihuahua's head.

What ever will be, will be.

Stuck in a hotel in Springfield, Massachusetts...making this my first Snow Day (rather than work/school) in over 30 years.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on January 27, 2015, 01:20:24 AM
Tomorrow's high in Tulsa is forecast to be 72 degrees. Suck it, northeasterners.

Suck it yourself, flatlander.  The moment the roads open, me and my snowboard are going out for some special one-on-one time. 

Zeffy

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2015, 10:42:49 AM
Rhode Island isn't listed. How was Rhode Island able to not get hit by it? How much did they have to pay in order to bribe the storm not to come to them, or was it just chance?

Okay, looking at snowfall totals, Rhode Island too.

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2015, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 01:33:30 AM
By the end of everything it'll be no larger than a chihuahua's head.

What ever will be, will be.

Stuck in a hotel in Springfield, Massachusetts...making this my first Snow Day (rather than work/school) in over 30 years.

Good luck getting out. The entire Massachusetts area is just getting slammed (especially Boston).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JakeFromNewEngland

As of 11:30 AM, the snow in SW CT is slowly letting up. It went from moderate snow to light flurries. I don't expect much else to come. I read that we're getting a small light snow shower Thursday-Friday and another potential "big storm" hitting us Sunday into Monday.

empirestate

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on January 27, 2015, 10:39:44 AM
I think this blizzard was hyped way too much. Different snow total models with varying numbers probably didn't help either. We got around 10 inches of snow. Eastern CT got hit the worst. NWS still shows us as in the 18-24 inch range but I highly doubt that we will even get a foot.

Well, everything is hyped way too much where the Internet's involved, but I'm glad at least that a weather event can still generate hype even after so many "disappointing" results.

But yes, on waking up this morning I find that our abundant snowfall didn't persist, and there's a perfectly manageable amount of snow to deal with on our day off today. And yes, New Yorkers are taking to social media in droves complaining about how they were shortchanged by the weather forecast. The modern, online New Yorker sure does seem to have trouble dealing with almost anything these days!

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 27, 2015, 11:08:37 AM

Tomorrow's high in Tulsa is forecast to be 72 degrees. Suck it, northeasterners.

Suck it yourself, flatlander.  The moment the roads open, me and my snowboard are going out for some special one-on-one time. 

Funny because I live on the side of a hill and there are 2700' mountains within a couple of hours.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on January 27, 2015, 10:39:44 AM
I think this blizzard was hyped way too much. Different snow total models with varying numbers probably didn't help either. We got around 10 inches of snow. Eastern CT got hit the worst. NWS still shows us as in the 18-24 inch range but I highly doubt that we will even get a foot.

Generally, there's always different models that show different storm paths.  Eventually, many of them tend to fall in relative line with each other.  This time they didn't. Forecasters tended to go with the Euro model though for this storm which was providing the very high storm totals, even after the storm was taking a decidedly different path. 

kkt

Call me when it's time for another bailout to rebuild after a tornado.

Seattle:  Yesterday sunny and 65 degrees.  That hardly ever happens in January.

vdeane

Albany was expecting to get a foot of snow from this and it's pretty much been a bust here too.  The meteroilogist said I'd experience 8 inches last night and I woke up feeling very unimpressed.

Just half an inch on the ground this morning.  We do have a little bit now, but it's only expected to accumulate a couple inches.  That's nothing for a girl who grew up in the Lake Ontario snowbelt.

Right now is looking like a REALLY good time to clinch stuff in NYC.  Guess I should have taken the day off and gone down there... so much less traffic with everyone preemptively taking the day off!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on January 27, 2015, 01:05:19 PM

Seattle:  Yesterday sunny and 65 degrees.  That hardly ever happens in January.

Call me when it's time for the bailout when Mount Rainier goes off.

It's 30 and cloudy here today after an icy snow last night.  The salt trucks were out in force this morning.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bugo

We have had a very mild winter (so far) so I expect this spring tornado season to be violent.

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on January 27, 2015, 02:33:59 PM

We have had a very mild winter (so far) so I expect this spring tornado season to be violent.

I'm driving throughout the South in late March. Should I be concerned?

roadman

Travel ban in western Massachusetts (except for I-90) was lifted at noon today (1-27).  Travel ban in central and eastern Massachusetts is to be lifted at midnight tonight.  Massachusetts "non emergency" state workers directed to not report for work on Wednesday 1-28.

Wakefield got just over 21 inches - figure I'm looking at about 3 to 4 hours of shoveling out tomorrow.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ET21

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2015, 04:53:01 PM

Depends on how the setup is. March begins the ramp up in severe storms for the South
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dfwmapper

Monitor the radar and if you see a big angry looking line of storms coming for you, find somewhere substantial to wait it out. The severe storms tend to be over fairly quick (it can go from calm to hailing to calm within the span of an hour). Most of the big storms are driven by cold fronts (cold dry air diving down from Canada and such meeting up with warm moist air from the Gulf), so if you pay attention to the weather reports you can generally guess where the bad stuff might be and work your schedule to avoid it.

bugo

Violent storms are so random that you never know where they're going to strike. I would keep an eye on the weather but things can change very quickly in this part of the country.

KEVIN_224

I estimate about 10 or 11 inches here in New Britain, CT, southwest of Hartford. The storm totals shoot way up once you got east of the Connecticut River. Our state's jackpot was Thompson. They saw 33 inches or so. It's the far northeast corner of the state in Windham County, where I-395 heads north into Webster, MA. A slight jog to the east puts you in northwest Rhode Island. Wells, ME picked up at least 24 inches (I lived there from 1974-77).

P.S. There was residual snow on the ground for the 4 to 5 wet inches that fell on Saturday morning.

froggie

We only wound up with 6.5" here.  But because of the winds, we had 3ft snowdrifts in our driveway.

1995hoo

We're south of where the blizzard forecasts were in effect. We got a dusting of snow, not enough to bother shovelling the driveway (had I really wanted to clear it, I could have used a broom or the leaf blower, but the sun cleared it for me yesterday). The big issue here was the plunging temperature. Yesterday morning the streets in our neighborhood were pretty well frozen over. I was very thankful the traffic light as I was leaving our neighborhood was green when I reached it because the street leading to it was a solid sheet of ice and I was going a little bit fast because I needed the momentum to get up the hill to where the light is. But I must say VDOT did an excellent job clearing the main roads.

Today, it's just windy and cold. Stopped at the gas station to fill the tank and it was no fun.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Probably about 27" here, adjusting and averaging various estimates.  Honestly not that bad, considering that we have been through this three times in the past four years.  Light snow, good times.

JakeFromNewEngland

We're supposedly getting a clipper Thursday-Friday which will bring 1-3 inches. They're looking at two other storms next week which might bring a significant amount of snow/rain.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on January 28, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
We're supposedly getting a clipper Thursday-Friday which will bring 1-3 inches. They're looking at two other storms next week which might bring a significant amount of snow/rain.

4-6 here.  It'll polish the muddy crust of yesterday's snow with a fresh white. 

Snow rode beautifully and forgivingly today.  Pleasant bumps, borderline moguls in spots, and a welcome return to the pure stuff instead of sprayed-on shaved ice.  Not a complaint to be heard on the mountain.

JakeFromNewEngland

Looks like we're getting THREE storms this week. We have tonight's storm that'll last until Monday, another clipper most likely on Thursday, and another possible big storm hitting again Sunday-Tuesday..  :banghead:

ET21

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on February 01, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
Looks like we're getting THREE storms this week. We have tonight's storm that'll last until Monday, another clipper most likely on Thursday, and another possible big storm hitting again Sunday-Tuesday..  :banghead:

Have fun with this current one. Having one hell of a blizzard right now
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

algorerhythms

Glad I flew through Chicago on Friday instead of today.

Though my flight was delayed anyway (mechanical problem with the plane).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.