News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Greetings from Iowa

Started by IowaTraveler, May 03, 2022, 11:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaTraveler

Hello everyone! I've finally put in the time to make an account and write up an introduction post after lurking here for about two years. Now that I've stopped procrastinating and gotten that out of the way, I look forward to finally being able to contribute to discussions.

As for a bit about myself, I'm a lifelong resident of Iowa and I am currently a college student. I've had a lifelong interest in most things road-related that was at least partially fueled by the trips to visit family in northeast Iowa, Indiana, and Michigan that I went on growing up. Now that I have my own car, I've spent the last few years taking trips to explore Iowa's county road system and visit new counties (Hence the username).

As for my specific roadgeek interests, I really like the sound and feel of driving on concrete roads, and I've always been amazed by the wide variety of sounds that can be made by different grooving patterns. Another one of my main road-related interests is the history of highways, such as how alignments and construction standards have evolved over time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to meeting you all.

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

KCRoadFan

MATraveler128

Welcome from the Boston area!
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kphoger

Hello from Kansas!  I have a lot of extended family in Iowa, and also my sister.  Are you at Iowa State University?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Welcome! I have family in Sioux City and have been to NW Iowa several times. Also a Christmas hangout at (frozen) Lake Okoboji.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

IowaTraveler

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 11:14:31 AM
Hello from Kansas!  I have a lot of extended family in Iowa, and also my sister.  Are you at Iowa State University?

Yeah

JoePCool14

Greetings from Wisconsin! The closest I've gotten to Iowa State on my own drives was to Waterloo. It's unfortunate that you're right in the middle of the state. I'm rather fortunate to be able to explore IA, WI, and IL at university.

Also, love that you're a fan of concrete noises for roads. What's your take on the "infamous Indiana concrete noise" if you know what I'm referring to?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 03, 2022, 03:16:40 PM
It's unfortunate that you're right in the middle of the state. I'm rather fortunate to be able to explore IA, WI, and IL at university.

Hey, exploring Iowa's county highways doesn't sound all that bad, though.  I've always enjoyed them, personally.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Hello from Florida! Unfortunately I don't see myself visiting the rest of the Plains yet.

jlam

Welcome from Colorado! Been through Iowa on the Avenue of the Saints, but not much else. How is Ames?

pianocello

Always great to see another fellow Iowan on the forum! I live in Florida now, but I grew up in Davenport and got my master's at Iowa State.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

JayhawkCO

Welcome from a Jayhawk that has spent some good times in Ames visiting friends.

IowaTraveler

Greetings from Wisconsin! The closest I've gotten to Iowa State on my own drives was to Waterloo. It's unfortunate that you're right in the middle of the state. I'm rather fortunate to be able to explore IA, WI, and IL at university.

Being in the middle of the state isn't that bad. Sure, the scenery is a bit lacking in central and north-central Iowa, but the roads are just as interesting as anywhere else in the state. It really just depends on the county. Plus, living in a different part of the state than I used to allows me to easily go to places I haven't been before.

Also, love that you're a fan of concrete noises for roads. What's your take on the "infamous Indiana concrete noise" if you know what I'm referring to?

That was one of the things I always looked forward to when going to Indiana. I love it because the buzzing noise it makes is so different from the whistling noises I'm used to hearing from grooved concrete. I always made sure to savor the few seconds of it going over every bridge. It's been quite a few years since I've been out that way, though.

Quote from: jlam on May 03, 2022, 03:32:55 PM
Welcome from Colorado! Been through Iowa on the Avenue of the Saints, but not much else. How is Ames?

Unseasonably cold.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:19:20 PM
It's unfortunate that you're right in the middle of the state. I'm rather fortunate to be able to explore IA, WI, and IL at university.
Hey, exploring Iowa's county highways doesn't sound all that bad, though.  I've always enjoyed them, personally.

Fair point. I was surprised when I was on one a few months ago and it was concrete. You definitely wouldn't see that in Wisconsin.

Quote from: IowaTraveler on May 03, 2022, 11:07:39 PM
That was one of the things I always looked forward to when going to Indiana. I love it because the buzzing noise it makes is so different from the whistling noises I'm used to hearing from grooved concrete. I always made sure to savor the few seconds of it going over every bridge. It's been quite a few years since I've been out that way, though.

There's entire stretches of highway with that sound. Some parts of I-94 in NW Indiana, for instance. I won't lie, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.