Oklahoma Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 14, 2016, 08:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2021, 04:46:35 PM
At this Oklahoma location, they used a portable VMS to say "TAKE TURNS / AT MERGE".
I believe NM was pretty much the same I don't remember exactly what it said. They had about 2-3 of them in a mile before the final merging point.

skluth

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 08, 2021, 01:27:08 PM
How do you "slide over" an existing bridge?

They did this in St Louis with the I-55 bridge over the Mississippi (better known as the Poplar St Bridge)

okroads

Took a quick trip yesterday from Norman to the northern outskirts of the DFW area, then back to Norman. Sign replacement is underway on the southern 55 miles of I-35 (from the Red River to OK 7). A couple notes:

- The "EAST 40" error sign (sign where the exit tab said EAST 40 instead of EXIT 40) has been replaced and corrected on I-35 SB
- This project replaced some signs that were less than 10 years old, mainly in Ardmore & Marietta
- The overhead sign bridges in Ardmore are being replaced with monotubes. Some monotubes are already up but only one had signs attached to it. However, in typical Oklahoma fashion, there's an error...
- Monotube sign bridge on I-35 NB is at Exit 31A (former OK 199 East). Advance signage for the OK 142 exit is also posted. the sign should say OK 142 East TO OK 199, but the shields were switched, so it says OK 199 East TO OK 142. OK 199 used to start at I-35 and ran east, directly through Ardmore, but the western end was truncated to OK 142 (the Ardmore NE "bypass") a couple years ago.
- Many distance signs on I-35 NB now list Norman and Oklahoma City (plus the nearest city/town to the sign). Previously, Norman wasn't on any distance signs until past Pauls Valley (Exit 72, well north of the northern extent of the sign replacements).
- Speaking of distance signs, the new sign sizes are smaller than what they replaced.
- Yesterday afternoon on the trip back, work crews were installing new signs near Exit 55 (OK 7) on I-35 NB
- For the exits with new signage, advanced signs have also been added for 2 miles and 1/2 mile. Previously, there were just signs for 1 mile out, then at the exit.

Pictures can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/albums/72157719536478671

rte66man

Quote from: okroads on July 13, 2021, 03:50:59 PM
Took a quick trip yesterday from Norman to the northern outskirts of the DFW area, then back to Norman. Sign replacement is underway on the southern 55 miles of I-35 (from the Red River to OK 7). A couple notes:

- The "EAST 40" error sign (sign where the exit tab said EAST 40 instead of EXIT 40) has been replaced and corrected on I-35 SB
- This project replaced some signs that were less than 10 years old, mainly in Ardmore & Marietta
- The overhead sign bridges in Ardmore are being replaced with monotubes. Some monotubes are already up but only one had signs attached to it. However, in typical Oklahoma fashion, there's an error...
- Monotube sign bridge on I-35 NB is at Exit 31A (former OK 199 East). Advance signage for the OK 142 exit is also posted. the sign should say OK 142 East TO OK 199, but the shields were switched, so it says OK 199 East TO OK 142. OK 199 used to start at I-35 and ran east, directly through Ardmore, but the western end was truncated to OK 142 (the Ardmore NE "bypass") a couple years ago.
- Many distance signs on I-35 NB now list Norman and Oklahoma City (plus the nearest city/town to the sign). Previously, Norman wasn't on any distance signs until past Pauls Valley (Exit 72, well north of the northern extent of the sign replacements).
- Speaking of distance signs, the new sign sizes are smaller than what they replaced.
- Yesterday afternoon on the trip back, work crews were installing new signs near Exit 55 (OK 7) on I-35 NB
- For the exits with new signage, advanced signs have also been added for 2 miles and 1/2 mile. Previously, there were just signs for 1 mile out, then at the exit.

Pictures can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/albums/72157719536478671

Did you notice if they corrected the series of BGS's at the OK32 Marietta exit? That 'JCT' on all of them is grating.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

I-35

Quote from: rte66man on July 26, 2021, 10:19:58 AM

Did you notice if they corrected the series of BGS's at the OK32 Marietta exit? That 'JCT' on all of them is grating.

They have not.  I actually called the local ODOT engineer overseeing the project to let him know of a typo on a distance sign (Gainsville...) about a year ago, and mentioned the JCT issue at SH 32 then.  He said he thought the JCT was there because it was a full intersection, but I pointed out SH 7 was a full intersection and has never had the JCT added.  He agreed, but I don't think he followed up on it.  I get it, the guy is probably busy.  This signage project has dragged on for more than a year now.  At least they're replacing Clearview with Gothic  :)

Scott5114

Photo by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

To that ODOT engineer–if SH-32 didn't junction with I-35 there wouldn't be a sign there at all, now would there?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-35

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 26, 2021, 09:16:38 PM

Photo by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

To that ODOT engineer–if SH-32 didn't junction with I-35 there wouldn't be a sign there at all, now would there?

Very true.  That sign has been JCT my whole lifetime, and I'm pulling up on 40.  Goes to show how strong the copy/paste urge is in the sign department.

Plutonic Panda

Lots of renumbering and interstate designation extensions coming to central Oklahoma area:

Taken from OKCTalk:

Turnpikes getting Highway Numbers
Item No. 105 - State Highway System Numbering Revisions — Mr. Swift

a) Removal of the SH-152 Designation between JCT I-44/SH-152 and JCT SH-152/John Kilpatrick TP
b) Addition of a new Designation of I-240 to the above section of SH-152, the John Kilpatrick TP, and
the Kickapoo TP
c) Addition of an I-240 Follow Route on portions of I-44 and I-40
d) Addition of a new Designation of SH-4 to the H.E. Bailey Turnpike — Norman Spur
e) Addition of a new Designation of SH-301 to the Chickasaw Turnpike
f) Addition of a new Designation of SH-312 to the Cimarron Turnpike Spur
g) Addition of a new Designation of SH-375 to the Indian Nation Turnpike

QuoteSecretary of Transportation Tim Gatz will update the commission on the next phase of the modernization effort involving three state transportation agencies, ongoing federal funding discussions in U.S. Congress, and proposed state highway numbering designations at Oklahoma turnpike connections.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2021/july/august-transportation-commission-meeting-scheduled-for-monday--a.html

US 89

I'm surprised the Bailey Spur is becoming a SH-4 extension. Yeah, it makes sense, but I would have guessed they'd go with SH-309.

Scott5114

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 29, 2021, 11:20:35 PM
Lots of renumbering and interstate designation extensions coming to central Oklahoma area:

Taken from OKCTalk:

Turnpikes getting Highway Numbers
Item No. 105 - State Highway System Numbering Revisions — Mr. Swift

a) Removal of the SH-152 Designation between JCT I-44/SH-152 and JCT SH-152/John Kilpatrick TP
b) Addition of a new Designation of I-240 to the above section of SH-152, the John Kilpatrick TP, and
the Kickapoo TP
c) Addition of an I-240 Follow Route on portions of I-44 and I-40
d) Addition of a new Designation of SH-4 to the H.E. Bailey Turnpike — Norman Spur
e) Addition of a new Designation of SH-301 to the Chickasaw Turnpike
f) Addition of a new Designation of SH-312 to the Cimarron Turnpike Spur
g) Addition of a new Designation of SH-375 to the Indian Nation Turnpike

QuoteSecretary of Transportation Tim Gatz will update the commission on the next phase of the modernization effort involving three state transportation agencies, ongoing federal funding discussions in U.S. Congress, and proposed state highway numbering designations at Oklahoma turnpike connections.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2021/july/august-transportation-commission-meeting-scheduled-for-monday--a.html

Approved effective immediately (other than I-240, which is pending AASHTO/FHWA approval).

okroads

OK 4 is now signed on the H.E. Bailey Norman Spur, at least from I-44. It does not appear to be signed on the spur itself yet.

DSC04009 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

DSC04010 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

Scott5114

It's also signed as such from SH-76 (although only on independent-mount shields, the guide signage still just says TURNPIKE).

Those signs look pretty new, so it's kind of a shame that they ended up with a shoehorned-in shield like that. If they had to reuse the same panel, on the exit direction sign, I'd have rather them green out the "H.E. Bailey Spur" line and put the shield there. At least they used the correct arrow this time...

Also, what's with OTA's weird obsession with not posting an exit number at that interchange?

yakra

I've seen photos of OK375 signage. I'm not 100% certain on the location; maybe on OK9 US270.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

dchristy

OK 375 signage is up at Hugo, Antlers, and Savanna.  Interestingly, it appears that they have taken the Indian Nation signage down.

Scott5114

Quote from: dchristy on November 07, 2021, 07:56:08 PM
OK 375 signage is up at Hugo, Antlers, and Savanna.  Interestingly, it appears that they have taken the Indian Nation signage down.

Not too unusual; that's what they did when SH-351 and 364 were numbered.

yakra

Dec 2021 GMSV shows OK301 on the Chickasaw Turnpike.
The OK7 Spur has stayed as-is, leaving a route change mid-pike. One could call this silly & needless, or say there's some merit in having different designations on the free & toll portions.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Scott5114

The 7 Spur designation was silly and needless before 301 was designated; it always should have been 7B.

Plutonic Panda

US-70 will be realigned around Madill with an interim configuration of two lanes with at grade intersections and an ultimate setup of a fully controlled access facility for a few miles:

QuoteThe Oklahoma Department of Transportation is conducting a public hearing to receive comments on the proposed project and the environmental study performed for realignment on US-70 in and around Madill. The project will improve safety, efficiency and travel time through the corridor.

The project consists of a realignment of US-70 half a mile west of US-177 at Mockingbird Lane extending east about 1 mile, crossing US-177 and BNSF railroad, then continuing southwest on a new alignment to SH-199 then south for 3 miles back to US-70 near Archard Rd.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/public-input-needed-on-us-70-realignment-in-madill-.html

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 04, 2022, 04:50:04 PM
US-70 will be realigned around Madill with an interim configuration of two lanes with at grade intersections and an ultimate setup of a fully controlled access facility for a few miles:

QuoteThe Oklahoma Department of Transportation is conducting a public hearing to receive comments on the proposed project and the environmental study performed for realignment on US-70 in and around Madill. The project will improve safety, efficiency and travel time through the corridor.

The project consists of a realignment of US-70 half a mile west of US-177 at Mockingbird Lane extending east about 1 mile, crossing US-177 and BNSF railroad, then continuing southwest on a new alignment to SH-199 then south for 3 miles back to US-70 near Archard Rd.

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/public-input-needed-on-us-70-realignment-in-madill-.html

Uhh, how about southeast instead.

Seriously, this trend of ODOT to build out bypasses as 2 lanes with at-grade intersections is troubling.  First Chickasha, now Madill. Odds are they never come back and finish it off.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

I thought the bypass around Chickasha was supposed to be a combination of intersections, a couple limited access and others at-grade. It looks like the same design "template" at the Duncan bypass. In the case of the Duncan bypass they've done some spot upgrades since it was built. And there is enough ROW to add a second roadway to make it 4 lanes. The ROW is key for any future upgrade capability. I don't know if the Madill bypass will be built like that.

skluth

Quote from: rte66man on May 04, 2022, 06:51:01 PM

Seriously, this trend of ODOT to build out bypasses as 2 lanes with at-grade intersections is troubling.  First Chickasha, now Madill. Odds are they never come back and finish it off.
Here's the study with a map of the bypass.

Personally, I don't think anything more than a 2-lane bypass is justified at present. Not every bypass needs to be built as a freeway; freeways and interchanges are expensive and may not justify the expense to the taxpayers. This bypass will get much of the thru truck traffic out of Madill. As Bobby stated, it's important to make sure the ROW is adequate so that an improved four-lane expressway or better can be built if future trends warrant it. I'll also add it's as important to prevent any driveways or new streets connecting to the new bypass and I would recommend that citizens include that in their input. Doing these simple, oft-neglected, steps will save taxpayers in the long run.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ as long as ODOT preserves the ROW and doesn't allow for development to encroach and make a future upgrade more costly due to poor planning then I'm all for it.

rte66man

Quote from: skluth on May 05, 2022, 03:48:10 PM
Quote from: rte66man on May 04, 2022, 06:51:01 PM

Here's the study with a map of the bypass.

Personally, I don't think anything more than a 2-lane bypass is justified at present. Not every bypass needs to be built as a freeway; freeways and interchanges are expensive and may not justify the expense to the taxpayers. This bypass will get much of the thru truck traffic out of Madill. As Bobby stated, it's important to make sure the ROW is adequate so that an improved four-lane expressway or better can be built if future trends warrant it. I'll also add it's as important to prevent any driveways or new streets connecting to the new bypass and I would recommend that citizens include that in their input. Doing these simple, oft-neglected, steps will save taxpayers in the long run.

A bigger issue with the plans are at the western end. Rather than beginning the bypass further west on 70 and bypassing Oakland to the north, they cheaped out and essentially send it east from the existing OK199 intersection. Of all the intersections needing to be an interchange, that is the one. It doesn't look like they left room for one in the future.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

^^^ yeah I kind of see what you're saying now I looked at it more closely. I'm a bit confused by the proposed ROW but it looks like they aren't leaving any room for expansion at the NW part of this project. That leads me to believe maybe they build a future project to bypass Oakland but if that's the case why didn't they route a section around the SW part of Madill? Unless the majority of traffic is continuing north west on US-177.

I think traffic counts are going to start growing faster as Ardmore and Durant continue to see more economic activity coupled with a growing tourism scene at the Arbuckles, Lake Texoma, and SE Oklahoma. Davis and Sulphur are also starting to increased popularity. I've really started to go to Sulphur more and more. They have a really nice hotel there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.