News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by webny99 - Today at 06:58:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 02:31:12 PMOn my eclipse trip, I was taken aback by how slowly Texans drive -- at least where I was in San Antonio and the adjacent Hill Country.  Seemed to me there was more of a compliance with the speed limit compared to the Thruway, where 80 mph+ in a 65 mph zone is common in the left lane.

I agree relative to the speed limit, but the limits are also higher, so faster traffic still moves at ~80 mph and the overall flow is about as good or better (though I-10 north/west of SA can be a slog).
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 06:57:12 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on April 16, 2024, 03:32:18 PMHasn't been well publicized but the Governor did sign legislation that increases work zone speed camera fines.  Initially the fines will double to $80 but will change a year later. At that point, they will start at $60 and go up based on speed, up to $500.  They can still fine when there is no work, but the fines are doubled when workers are present (looks like the legislation requires flashing signage similar to PA to signal activity). 

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2024/04/16/increased-fines-public-education-campaign-focus-of-highway-safety-efforts/

I'm more than happy to continue to heed the work zone warnings to avoid said fines, but what I'm really worried about are the drivers who will pay no mind to it and zip past or tailgate you through them.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by webny99 - Today at 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2024, 12:54:03 PMDriving sure seems simpler staying within 10 mph of the speed limit.  Now if only the northeast would raise its speed limits so I could go exactly the speed limit (without substantially affecting my travel time) and make it simpler still; while most places won't pull you over for 5-7 over, some do, and that's even more common with cameras.

I would extend that to 15 over on freeways. The risk of getting pulled over for 10-14 over in a 55 or 65 mph zone in NY is pretty low, especially because you usually won't be the fastest one on the road, you can slow down to 10 over almost instantly, and might not even be going as fast to begin with depending on your speedometer error. 15-19 over is what I think of as the calculated risk zone, meaning I wouldn't typically drive this fast on a road trip nor set the cruise in this range, but am comfortable with it intermittently on local highways. And 20+ over is the true danger zone due to standing out from other traffic, 6 points on your license if ticketed, and mandatory $300 fine.

Surface streets are trickier. There are some where I speed 10-14 over quite regularly, and others where that feels too fast (or where traffic rarely/never allows for it anyways).

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 06:32:11 PM
Sortie 64, with an extremely rare "A" exit in Québec:

A-15 SB, sortie 64 (Décarie) - 1 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
Off-Topic / Re: Layoffs at Tesla
Last post by bing101 - Today at 06:27:50 PM

Here is aother story on Musk and the Hyperloop. 
New dmitrivalencia video of the long expressway run from Batangas to Rosario:

Of interest to me is the section along Skyway, particularly some overhead signage in Quezon City:

q avenue northbound overhead by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Q avenue 500m to go overhead by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Q Avenue and R10 gore point sign by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

EDSA 5km ahead sign by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

That EDSA 5km Ahead sign feels a little wonky in one sense, in that it doesn't tell you what actual exit name to use is (A. Bonifacio), and Skyway lacks exit numbers so there's no other way to cross-reference this.
Last post by Jim - Today at 06:25:12 PM
Tough sun position and a windshield that needed a little work, but it's an Exit 395 on A-5 in Spain.  June 25, 2023.

Pacific Southwest / Re: Caliente-Bodfish Road
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 06:24:34 PM
This was the gem of the recent Bakersfield Road Meet.  I blew the blog up and rewrote it to properly illustrate the history of the road during the 1860s-1870s.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/06/caliente-bodfish-roadkern-county-route.html
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 06:14:49 PM
CR 395 > QC 395 (photo previously played for QC 109):

QC 111 SB and QC 395 NB, Amos - 1 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
Pacific Southwest / Re: Nevada
Last post by cl94 - Today at 06:12:39 PM
I don't think we can even rule out arterials inside city limits going to the county. Charleston between Commerce and Fremont is county, despite that being inside Las Vegas limits. Though you would think that they'd try and download Rainbow, Flamingo, Tropicana, etc. before looking inside Las Vegas itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.