News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Botts' Dots in Arizona?

Started by Pink Jazz, April 08, 2015, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

According to the Wikipedia article on Botts' Dots, it says they are used in the snow-free areas of Arizona.  Really?  I have never seen them on any Phoenix area road; the standard used here is painted lane markings with raised reflectors between them.

Perhaps they may have been used by ADOT in the past; I wonder if they still exist in the Tucson or Yuma districts.

swbrotha100

They used to be used, but were being phased out by the late 1990s. I've seen traces of where there used to be Botts' Dots on AZ 143, AZ 210 and a stretch of I-10 east of I-19.

corco

Yeah, plenty down in Tucson, but mainly off state highways.

Here's some in San Luis:

pumpkineater2

US-95 from the Mexican border to county 11th street is all Botts' Dots. I don't think they will be around for much longer if that stretch ever gets repaved in the near future(for which it is way overdue in my opinion).
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

JKRhodes

US 60 in Mesa, Tempe and Apache Junction had them until the rubberizing and widening that occurred in the early 2000s. One of my earliest memories of driving to the valley involved the distinct "ripping" sound whenever I changed lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.