News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Traffic Maps

Started by 3467, July 10, 2010, 11:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am interested in hearing what you think of the Google (and other) Traffic Maps

CL

Google Maps is horrible. I used to have a lot of respect for them but after they stopped using professional data in the states, their map quality went downhill. It has the best interface IMO but that's it. There are so many errors in their maps that it's just . . . unbearable.

So when I need a reputable map I use Bing (the beta version). It's pretty good actually.

As for Yahoo and Mapquest, I don't use any of those so I don't have an opinion. (Well, I did use Mapquest ten years ago.)
Infrastructure. The city.

TheStranger

Google maps has its errors, but I do like its traffic-data algorithm.
Chris Sampang

rickmastfan67

I've kept trying to get them to fix the I-10/I-95 interchange correctly and each time, they mess it up even more. :banghead:

JREwing78

Google Maps have actually improved considerably in the years since. Sure, when they started using their own data, it was god-awful. And, you still see a few old route designations. But they were responsive when I reported a local freeway exit had a ramp removed. And the traffic data beats Wisconsin's own 511 website (not to mention Michigan's traffic websites) for comprehensiveness.

Duke87

Google suddenly took a huge dip in quality when they started using OSM data, but the various mistakes have gradually been getting addressed and it's improved a lot since then. The most noticable errors around nowadays are the purely cosmetic ones (e.g. minor freeways being yellow instead of orange).
Also, they seem to have gotten quicker at including recent construction.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

I think he meant the traffic option in Google Maps (and Earth).

Alps

I've found the traffic maps to be fairly accurate in real time.  I've questioned the minor streets - they can show up as Slow or Very Slow just because of a traffic signal, and there's no clear description of what would cause them to be designated one way or another.  Still, if I have a choice of two routes during rush hour, I would say it's worth consulting the traffic map.

Duke87

Well, clearly they're inaccurate. There's no way the traffic in LA was moving that well. :-P

In all seriousness, the data may well be accurate in realtime, but that doesn't necessarily make it useful... after all, it's not relevant what the traffic looked like two hours ago when I was at home on my computer, what matters is what it looks like when I get to the spot in question.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheStranger

Quote from: Duke87 on July 11, 2010, 06:49:57 PM
In all seriousness, the data may well be accurate in realtime, but that doesn't necessarily make it useful... after all, it's not relevant what the traffic looked like two hours ago when I was at home on my computer, what matters is what it looks like when I get to the spot in question.

Accessing said map via a smart phone increases its usefulness tenfold...

...though this really makes me wish that VMSes were smarter at showing alternate routes, i.e. when I'm on 80 westbound in Fairfield, I want to know if 80 or 680/24 is the fastest way to the Bay Bridge!

Chris Sampang

Thank-you. Yes I meant the traffic.I had also read pedestrains could be the cause of red in the bigger cities .
It could be teh standard they use. Western Avenuue in Chicago was studied by CATS the emtroploitan planning org for improvements . It moved about 20 miles per hour because of traffic lights. Google might consider that a red but I would rate it a yellow because 30 is your theoretical max.

There is alos a good  site
http://www.lakecountypassage.com
It uses cameras plus sensors for aterialsI must admit I have a facination comparing it to Google

I wanted to see what others said before putting my bias in .
It isnt perfect but some data is better than none. I wish thye would add the US routes outside the metros though
Yahoo has a service I am really sceptical of . I do not believ there has been a 10 mile traffic ham on US 34 in southern Iowa for the last month

UptownRoadGeek

The biggest thing about traffic on google IMO, is that they seem to apply the same standards to both freeways and surface streets. Surface streets are often red or yellow when traffic is moving at the posted speed limit.

agentsteel53

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 12, 2010, 01:34:48 AM
Surface streets are often red or yellow when traffic is moving at the posted speed limit.

that sure does sum up the problem with arterial street design, doesn't it?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Google's traffic maps, IMHO, suck.  They show congestion on the wrong side of the expressway, and not always accurately either.  No idea where they get their data from.  Locally, I trust this site instead: http://www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/home.jsp
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

The best solution I've found is to check a DOT-run website (here in VA that is http://511virginia.org/) for incidents, as they're usually fairly accurate, and then check the traffic cameras to confirm, if available.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bickendan

Quote from: Duke87 on July 11, 2010, 06:49:57 PM
Well, clearly they're inaccurate. There's no way the traffic in LA was moving that well. :-P
Beat me to it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.