News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Winter 2015, has it gone on long enough

Started by SteveG1988, February 16, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, has it gone on long enough?

Yes
13 (35.1%)
No
13 (35.1%)
Bring me the groundhog's head on a platter for predicting 6 more weeks of winter!
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SignGeek101

Compared to last winter:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-worst-winter-since-98----1898-254004961.html

I'm just gettin warmed up this winter; only had to shovel a few times and only a handful of days below -25C. Nothing like last year.

So no, bring it on, winter 2015  :-D

Pete from Boston

It hasn't gone on long enough, because it's still going.  We're only halfway through February.

jakeroot

I think it snowed once in December here in Seattle. Once was enough. I'm glad we're into Spring. ;-)

kkt

There's still not enough snow to sled or ski in the mountains around Seattle.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2015, 11:21:21 PM
There's still not enough snow to sled or ski in the mountains around Seattle.

For those unaware of the situation:

From KOMO News: Mountain snowpack now totally gone in some spots

The numbers have been ugly...and they're getting uglier by the hour.

The National Weather Service has put out its twice-monthly report on the mountain snowpack and the numbers for Feb. 15 and, well, skiers should probably stop reading here. Perhaps water managers and those who have to battle wildfires might just head on over to the sports sectio...well, maybe the offbeat news?

To those who are brave enough to stomach the results, here goes:

Hurricane Ridge: Current snowpack is...4 inches. It's supposed to have 87". The worst ever before since 1979 was 17" in 2005. You know it's saying something when 2005 had 4 times as much snow as this year.

How about Mt. Baker? That's the one spot due to its elevation that seems to weather the (lack of) storm best in these winters. Uh...just 22 inches up there -- 2 inches less than the current record-warm winter of 1977 had at this point in the winter. You know what Boston calls 22 inches of snow? A lunch break.

Mt. Baker is supposed to have 138 inches there now and even had 107 inches last year as we were amidst our big snow rally.

And to think in 1999, there was 244 inches of snow up there on Feb. 15. Good times...

Snoqualmie Pass? Just 21" of snow (well, down to 20" now). That's just 25 percent of the normal 85" that's supposed to be there. It's been worse -- that 1977 year had just 4" at this point. But give Snoqualmie another few weeks...

Two spots are down single digits-- Mission Ridge (5,170' level) at 9" and Crystal Mountain (4,370' level) at 8". Yes, read that again: 8 inches of snow at the bottom of Crystal Mountain in mid-February. (Do you know what Boston calls 8 inches of snow? They can't remember because 10 inches just fell in the time it took you to read that.) Note to skiers -- those measurements are near the roadway base -- the resorts do have some snow up on the higher runs and are creating some of their own snow so they're still running.

But at least all of those spots can at least say they have *some* snow. Because White Pass roadway? Zero. Nada. Zilch. Bagel -- at least, at the official snowpack measuring gauge about 1/4 mile from the web cam seen here. (Looks like there is a little snow in spots though).

They're supposed to have 54 inches of snow up there now, but instead, they're tied with Phoenix for current official snow cover. (Again, White Pass ski resort does have enough snow on their slopes higher up to be up and running. It's just no snow worries on the drive there.)

The one spot that *does* have snow? Paradise Ranger Station at Mt. Rainier -- living up to its name. It has 57 inches of snow -- not a lot, but at least makes you wonder if Elsa from Frozen might be secretly vacationing there. That's 40 percent of their normal 143 inches by now.

Speaking of which, with the next 10 days remaining essentially dry, if Elsa wants to visit any of our other gorgeous mountain spots...we extend an open-ended invitation.

kkt

Paradise is not living up to its reputation.  It usually has about 10' at this time.  The Park requires 5' of snow before they'll authorize sledding, to protect the plants that overwinter under the snow and to protect sledders from breaking through.  We had some lowland rain a week ago, and normally that should fall as snow at Paradise, but it was too warm and fell as rain.

Scott5114

We haven't really had any snow at all here in Oklahoma, just less than an inch in November. We had some thundersleet Sunday night.

Other than that we've had weeks at a time of 70°F highs. So no, I'm not quite ready for tornado season yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

We have had more than enough abnormal cold here in Maryland, Virginia and D.C.

As compared to eastern Massachusetts, we have almost no snow at all (again, by comparison).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kj3400

The east coast extends its apologies for stealing everyone's snow this winter and wishes everyone would claim the rest of it before we get buried in it some more. I feel sorry for New England though.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

OCGuy81

Winter? It's 73 degrees here today, and is going to be in the upper 70s the rest of the week. :-)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kj3400 on February 17, 2015, 04:49:43 PM
The east coast extends its apologies for stealing everyone's snow this winter and wishes everyone would claim the rest of it before we get buried in it some more. I feel sorry for New England though.

I would admittedly feel different if I took public transportation to work or was elderly, but since neither of those is the case, I'm actually loving this winter.

corco

Montana is having a disastrously warm winter. I expect most of the west to have a drought and be on fire this summer. Without the snowpack, we're pretty much fucked.

Brandon

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 17, 2015, 04:57:17 PM
Winter? It's 73 degrees here today, and is going to be in the upper 70s the rest of the week. :-)

It'll be 3 degrees tomorrow morning, and -8 degrees Thursday and Friday mornings here.  Not quite cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

geocachingpirate

I would love to see a foot of snow here in NC.  I know New England would like to give some of there mess down south. Bring it on!
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

Desert Man

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 17, 2015, 04:57:17 PM

Even warmer (80sF/26-29C range) in the Palm Springs area, but some rain fell last weekend. I went to the Riverside county fair/National Date festival on the 21st with my wife, Mom and the rest of family. There's a good huge advantage living in a warm desert climate in winter, except the summers here are HOT triple-digit highs for 4 months straight (ROFL).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Pete from Boston

This winter reminds me a lot of 93-94, during which I remember about 18 accumulating storms hitting.  I told someone then that I hoped it kept snowing as long as it was going to be cold, and she became almost offended. 

What I have noticed to be the biggest casualty is that everything happens a lot slower, and people are mostly handling that pretty well in my experience.  Of course, I don't ride the T that often.

That leads to the other casualty–travel.  I pick my times and destinations a lot more carefully, and much more easily pass on trips of even a few miles away.  It's gotten better as roads have been continuously widened, but with the extra time involved some trips aren't as worth it.  Just takes a delivery truck that can't get into a snow-filled parking lane, and you're looking at some gridlock.

roadman

The amount of snow we've received in the Boston area so far hasn't really bothered me, as our local towns are pretty good at plowing (typically streets are down to bare pavement a couple of days after a major storm).  What is starting to seriously annoy me, however, is the fact our commuter rail system is on a "limited' schedule (i.e. cancelling 26 trains on my line alone) due to the fact they couldn't be bothered to properly maintain and repair their equipment beforehand, so they weren't prepared for the inevitable equipment failures due to the weather.   Because of this, my 'door to door' workday has increased by about two hours, and I'm usually totally sapped by the time I get home, especially if it's a cold day.

And the commuter rail operator has just announced that the "limited" schedule will be in place until March 30th.  Oh boy!
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 16, 2015, 10:21:50 PM
Compared to last winter:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-worst-winter-since-98----1898-254004961.html

I'm just gettin warmed up this winter; only had to shovel a few times and only a handful of days below -25C. Nothing like last year.

So no, bring it on, winter 2015  :-D
I was in Winnipeg exactly one year ago. The cold was something. I was in Vancouver a couple days later, without a jacket.

Besides that, no, I'm not completely sick of the winter just yet, but that's the skier in me speaking. I'm pretty much tired of every other aspect of this winter. :p

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on February 27, 2015, 09:39:05 AM
I was in Winnipeg exactly one year ago. The cold was something. I was in Vancouver a couple days later, without a jacket.

I recall reading someplace that Vancouver, B.C. is to Canada as San Diego, Calif. is to the U.S.  - the mildest climates in their respective nations (excluding discontiguous U.S. possessions with warm climates (Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa and Hawaii)).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: There is light at the end of this winter's cold, dark tunnel

QuoteAs we bear another day with freezing temperatures and the chance of record cold tonight (at Dulles International Airport and Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport), this update is intended to reassure you milder weather is truly around the corner. (Hats off to the groundhog, by the way, for calling it right this year.)

QuoteNo, I'm not ready to pronounce winter over. I'll do that once there is no longer a plausible threat of accumulating snow and a sustained period of cold temperatures. That could be a while. (Last year, it wasn't until March 28 that I was able to do that – and then it snowed on March 30, whoops!).

SD Mapman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 27, 2015, 07:14:32 PM
QuoteNo, I'm not ready to pronounce winter over. I'll do that once there is no longer a plausible threat of accumulating snow and a sustained period of cold temperatures. That could be a while. (Last year, it wasn't until March 28 that I was able to do that – and then it snowed on March 30, whoops!).
For us that won't be till June. We have the most unpredictable weather ever.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Laura

I'm enjoying all of the snow here. We haven't had this much in the city proper since 2010.  The extreme cold also doesn't bother me - I'm as snug as a bug with my layers on. The only time the cold was truly miserable was the day when we had crazy cold wind (and wind chills). I stayed in bed pretty much the whole day, lol.

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

Coldest month in 107 years in CT and 4-8" of snow forecasted for March 1st.  I'll be sitting fireside listening to Bing Crosby for Memorial Day.  Thank you Global Warming :banghead:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pete from Boston

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.