News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Summerlin Parkway

Started by bing101, January 07, 2014, 08:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

It's obvious Summerlin Parkway is going to be an Interstate-class freeway between CR-215 (Future I-215) and Future I-11. The route of the Summerlin Parkway Freeway gets unclear outside the CR-215 loop. Judging by what is being dug up outside the 215 loop it looks like Grand Park Blvd would be a continuation of the Summerlin Parkway freeway.

The Ghostbuster

It looks like Summerlin Parkway west of 215 beltway will be called Sunset Run Dr. In fact, it seems an entire neighborhood is being prepped to be built west of 215. I wish Summerlin Parkway had exit numbers, though.

NE2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 24, 2023, 03:16:41 PM
I wish Summerlin Parkway had exit numbers, though.
Failure to read the thread, inane buster.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ilpt4u

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 24, 2023, 12:55:02 AM
It's obvious Summerlin Parkway is going to be an Interstate-class freeway between CR-215 (Future I-215) and Future I-11. The route of the Summerlin Parkway Freeway gets unclear outside the CR-215 loop. Judging by what is being dug up outside the 215 loop it looks like Grand Park Blvd would be a continuation of the Summerlin Parkway freeway.
Almost would have expected NV 611 or 615 for Summerlin Parkway as a placeholder for a potential I-shield. An urban radial connector from Downtown west to the Beltway (which is slated to become I-215 fully at some point when I-shield standards are met and Clark County and NDOT work out the details) could/should be deserving a 3di

cl94

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. As it is, Summerlin isn't fully up to I-standards given the presence of signals at the west end, though that may be coming.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 89

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 24, 2023, 08:40:30 PM
Almost would have expected NV 611 or 615 for Summerlin Parkway as a placeholder for a potential I-shield. An urban radial connector from Downtown west to the Beltway (which is slated to become I-215 fully at some point when I-shield standards are met and Clark County and NDOT work out the details) could/should be deserving a 3di

I'd be surprised - nobody except for North Carolina is really putting interstate shields on new freeways these days. Phoenix and Salt Lake are doing just fine with state or US highway numbers for their new urban freeways. CC-215 to I-215 is a unique exception that has been planned for many years.

ilpt4u

Quote from: US 89 on October 24, 2023, 11:45:38 PM
I'd be surprised - nobody except for North Carolina is really putting interstate shields on new freeways these days. Phoenix and Salt Lake are doing just fine with state or US highway numbers for their new urban freeways. CC-215 to I-215 is a unique exception that has been planned for many years.
The under construction I-490 O'Hare Airport Ring Tollway says hello. Summerlin Pkwy is different in Vegas, tho, as it wasn't originally constructed by a state DOT. Now that NDOT has it, it has at least received a state highway shield in NV 613

Wasn't that long ago that Nevada posted new I-11 shields between I-215 and the Hoover Dam on newly constructed freeway, either

cl94

But it wouldn't be the only example of a freeway in the state that doesn't get the I-shield. There are no plans to extend I-580 north of I-80 despite the freeway being Interstate-grade to the state line, nor are there plans to make the new 395-445 connector freeway north of Reno an Interstate. CC 215 has been planned to eventually be an Interstate for decades, sure, but I wouldn't say an x11 is certain along SR 613. 613 fits the numbering scheme and is sequentially next after SR 612. And using a 6xx instead of a 1xx here means little, as major arterial roads have gotten numbers in the 5-6xx range if it stays within urban limits.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

roadfro

It's obvious Summerlin Parkway is going to be an Interstate-class freeway between CR-215 (Future I-215) and Future I-11.
Quote from: cl94 on October 25, 2023, 02:46:02 AM
But it wouldn't be the only example of a freeway in the state that doesn't get the I-shield. There are no plans to extend I-580 north of I-80 despite the freeway being Interstate-grade to the state line, nor are there plans to make the new 395-445 connector freeway north of Reno an Interstate. CC 215 has been planned to eventually be an Interstate for decades, sure, but I wouldn't say an x11 is certain along SR 613. 613 fits the numbering scheme and is sequentially next after SR 612. And using a 6xx instead of a 1xx here means little, as major arterial roads have gotten numbers in the 5-6xx range if it stays within urban limits.

Summerlin Pkwy is of near-interstate quality. There's a few points with some shoulder deficiencies and of course the signalized interchange with the 215 (which is apparently still in an interim configuration), but otherwise good. An interstate shield could be applied, but is likely not in the cards (although 5-10 or so years ago, I wouldn't have expected Summerlin Pkwy to have a state route number or shields posted, so who knows...).

Note that the 613 number was adopted before the I-11 routing had been decided through the Las Vegas Valley, so 611 wouldn't necessarily have been a reasonable placeholder at the time. And really, the number chosen doesn't totally make sense with the numbering scheme adopted in the renumbering—500/600 series being federal aid urban roads consisting mostly of urban arterials. A number in the 170s would be more appropriate—100-400s being federal aid primary routes with the mid-100's being assigned in Clark County, and 174 would've been the next number in sequence when NDOT took over the freeway. Note also that SR 171 is the NDOT-maintained portion of the airport connector, and Nevada's first state route freeway—which made me think Summerlin Pkwy would have a different number than it got. (BTW: I always thought SR 195 would've been a good number for Summerlin Pkwy, fitting the numbering scheme and acting as a "spur" of US 95.)

The route of the Summerlin Parkway Freeway gets unclear outside the CR-215 loop. Judging by what is being dug up outside the 215 loop it looks like Grand Park Blvd would be a continuation of the Summerlin Parkway freeway.
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 24, 2023, 03:16:41 PM
It looks like Summerlin Parkway west of 215 beltway will be called Sunset Run Dr. In fact, it seems an entire neighborhood is being prepped to be built west of 215.

I haven't seen any official maps, but it does seem like you both could be right...hard to tell. But it will be a surface arterial and not a freeway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

triplemultiplex

If a certain, national chain of convenience stores is willing to throw in some bread, then the Summerlin can be called "I-711" and give them in-perpetuity advertising. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

There is a 7-11 convenience store near the eastern terminus of the Summerlin Parkway at the corner of Westcliff Dr. and N. Tenaya Way: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7-Eleven/@36.1738426,-115.2490205,1162m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x80c8c05a57ed9143:0x26df71dc535b73a7!8m2!3d36.1744189!4d-115.2505345!16s%2Fg%2F1tf5ky1p?entry=ttu. So an Interstate 711 along the Summerlin would not be out of place.

ilpt4u

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 25, 2023, 10:39:02 AM
If a certain, national chain of convenience stores is willing to throw in some bread, then the Summerlin can be called "I-711" and give them in-perpetuity advertising. ;)
711 also has gambling connotations, especially for Craps players. Perfect for Vegas

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 25, 2023, 10:39:02 AM

This is horrible and totally plausible and don't give NDOT any ideas.

Joseph R P

$110M+ Summerlin Parkway interchange project to start later this year: https://www.fox5vegas.com/2024/01/08/110m-summerlin-parkway-interchange-project-start-later-this-year/

From the article, the project is slated to begin in the second half of 2024 and be completed in about 2 years. Here's an image from the article, albeit a low-quality one:

The Ghostbuster

The new CC-215/NV 613 interchange would certainly be an improvement over the old interchange.

vdeane

Looks like a traffic light would still remain in the interchange, meaning that only 3/4 of the movements would be freeway/freeway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2024, 08:42:55 PM
Looks like a traffic light would still remain in the interchange, meaning that only 3/4 of the movements would be freeway/freeway.

It wouldn't be unusual for Nevada if the WB direction (top to bottom here) was free-flowing, at least for the freeway-freeway movement. This state loves seagulls.

Great Lakes Roads

https://lvrealty4sale.com/summerlin-parkway-215-beltway-construction-project-2024/

Here's a much better view of the improvements of the Summerlin Parkway/215 interchange construction project.

cl94

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 09, 2024, 10:32:15 PM
https://lvrealty4sale.com/summerlin-parkway-215-beltway-construction-project-2024/

Here's a much better view of the improvements of the Summerlin Parkway/215 interchange construction project.

As I figured. That light is a seagull intersection with free-flowing WB traffic. Only EB-EB and NB-WB traffic will encounter a light.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadfro

Another article, for the record, from the LVRJ's Road Warrior (same basic information as the Fox5 story posted upthread):
Summerlin Parkway-215 interchange upgrade project to begin this year, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 1/8/2024.

What's interesting to me is that it was mentioned in these articles that this project was supposed to start in 2023. I don't ever recall reading anything about it last year (If I had, I certainly would've posted about it here).

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 09, 2024, 10:32:15 PM

Kinda sad that a local realtor has the best available images of the improvements as opposed to Clark County or NDOT...

As far as the design, that's mostly what I thought we'd get, although NB>WB and EB>NB movements are a bit better than I expected. Braided ramps between Far Hills and Summerlin Pkwy are welcomed. I am kinda displeased that the WB>SB ramp is remaining a tight loop, but happy that the existing traffic signal is taken out of the equation. The images on that site don't seem to include the space along 215 between the Far Hills braided ramps and Summerlin Pkwy's ramps—but it appears the ramps from Summerlin Pkwy to SB 215 will merge into one lane before merging onto the 215, and that seems like a flawed design to me. 
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Voyager

Where would the extension of this even go? There's mountains not too far to the west.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

vdeane

Quote from: Voyager on January 11, 2024, 07:26:32 PM
Where would the extension of this even go? There's mountains not too far to the west.
The extension is just local roads to a new subdivision.  It's not a freeway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.