News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Olancha-Cartago 4-Lane Project

Started by pderocco, July 11, 2022, 08:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Quote from: richardwm15 on February 28, 2024, 10:53:48 AM
According to the California Transportation Commission, the northbound lanes in the area of the ancient burial site has been realigned. The delay is quoted to be 175 working days. So the project won't be complete until October 31, 2024 at the earliest. Here's the link: https://catc.ca.gov/-/media/ctc-media/documents/ctc-meetings/2023/2023-06/99-2-5e9-a11y

Could be worse, I wonder what kind of a shift its going to create in the alignment though (since it'll be an expressway they might have to do quite a bit of route change).
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

pderocco

The document doesn't describe where the rerouting is. However, I wonder if it can be explained by this sentence from a CalTrans statement I found in an Inyo Register article: "These laws and regulations require all agencies to maintain the confidentiality of cultural resources on any project, and Caltrans is restricted from providing specific project information which may lead to the disclosure of protected resources." If that's the reason, it won't prove effective, as we know where the road was going to go, and we'll eventually see where it does go, and the discrepancy will be limited to the area they're trying to keep secret.

ClassicHasClass

Stop trying to apply logic to Caltrans. It won't work.  :ded:

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: pderocco on March 01, 2024, 02:59:08 AM
The document doesn't describe where the rerouting is. However, I wonder if it can be explained by this sentence from a CalTrans statement I found in an Inyo Register article: "These laws and regulations require all agencies to maintain the confidentiality of cultural resources on any project, and Caltrans is restricted from providing specific project information which may lead to the disclosure of protected resources." If that's the reason, it won't prove effective, as we know where the road was going to go, and we'll eventually see where it does go, and the discrepancy will be limited to the area they're trying to keep secret.

This sounds completely reasonable? The law says government can't divulge where the cultural resources are, so they're not divulging it. Whether someone else uses process of elimination to figure out where the resources are is irrelevant.

And for heaven's sakes, don't go searching for the resources. Hopefully Caltrans and the tribes have worked out agreements on how to protect them since they have de facto been revealed.

Quillz

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 02, 2024, 11:21:44 AM

This sounds completely reasonable? The law says government can't divulge where the cultural resources are, so they're not divulging it. Whether someone else uses process of elimination to figure out where the resources are is irrelevant.

And for heaven's sakes, don't go searching for the resources. Hopefully Caltrans and the tribes have worked out agreements on how to protect them since they have de facto been revealed.
I agree. So a segment has to be realigned due to existing laws. It happens, life goes on.

I think it's safe to 99.9% of the motoring public will not care or even think about this. "Oh, 395 looks different from before." Is about the most they'll go.

pderocco

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on March 02, 2024, 11:21:44 AM

Well, they're not "resources" to me. I couldn't care less where they are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.