News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Metro Detroit Freeway Sign Graffiti

Started by kennyshark, March 31, 2014, 12:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyshark

Anyone else notice the spray paint graffiti on freeway signs in the Detroit area?  I noticed them mostly on I-75 from about the Wayne State University area to Southfield Road.  This morning, I noticed one on I-696 westbound at the Bermuda-Mohawk exit.

Is this an MDOT thing, or do we have a serial freeway vandal around here?

Zeffy

Quote from: kennyshark on March 31, 2014, 12:48:01 PM
Anyone else notice the spray paint graffiti on freeway signs in the Detroit area? ...

Isn't this the same Detroit that has thousands of abandoned buildings, had to declare bankruptcy, and can barely fund their own (depleted) police force? It would not shock me in the least if the freeway guide signs were defaced with graffiti. California fixed this problem by installing barbed wire around guide signs on freeways (at least the overheads) to deter vandalism.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

pianocello

They've been there for a while. I was in Detroit around July and every sign on NB I-75 between I-375 and I-94 was tagged.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Brandon

Anyone else notice the spray paint graffiti on freeway signs in the Detroit area?  I noticed them mostly on I-75 from about the Wayne State University area to Southfield Road.  This morning, I noticed one on I-696 westbound at the Bermuda-Mohawk exit.

Is this an MDOT thing, or do we have a serial freeway vandal around here?

Must be a vandal.  I haven't seen much graffiti on the freeway signage in either Detroit or Chicago to the extent one sees it in Los Angeles or other such places.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2014, 01:23:07 PM
Anyone else notice the spray paint graffiti on freeway signs in the Detroit area? ...

Isn't this the same Detroit that has thousands of abandoned buildings, had to declare bankruptcy, and can barely fund their own (depleted) police force? It would not shock me in the least if the freeway guide signs were defaced with graffiti. California fixed this problem by installing barbed wire around guide signs on freeways (at least the overheads) to deter vandalism.

Most of the MDOT sign bridges around Metro Detroit are inaccessible to the average person.  They usually lack a place to walk and are not lighted at night.

Some examples:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.286624,-83.209341&spn=0.001619,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=42.286938,-83.209215&panoid=mCgDhXMNRviUL80JPjreRA&cbp=12,61.27,,0,-10.32

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.341277,-83.117205&spn=0.001629,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=42.341277,-83.117205&panoid=-XO0HfHiu-rYdmFSjYtmvQ&cbp=12,46.2,,0,-2.74

They would be difficult to climb in stark contrast to the CalTrans sign bridges.  Example:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=34.100249,-118.247947&spn=0.001825,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=34.100345,-118.248009&panoid=_H7vMB_cNiiVrnclDO3Ymg&cbp=12,72.39,,0,-11.88
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Looks like we've uncovered further proof that the once-mighty Motor City is falling apart.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on March 31, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
Looks like we've uncovered further proof that the once-mighty Motor City is falling apart.

Must be the same proof about Chicago.  I've seen a few signs here tagged.  Must be the same proof about LA.  They have graffiti-ed signs all over the place.

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: Brandon on March 31, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 31, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Must be the same proof about Chicago.  I've seen a few signs here tagged.  Must be the same proof about LA.  They have graffiti-ed signs all over the place.

And for that matter Denver. I-25 near downtown alway has tagged signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.