Why is the I-75 median so wide south of Dayton?

Started by TempoNick, April 08, 2024, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TempoNick

Why is the I-75 median so wide south of Dayton? Is there an engineering reason for this, such as needing the extra median for water to collect? See:

https://www.facebook.com/KelleyKingWDTN/posts/pfbid0XQeFkWxPouypXAGPaY8cweuWnZkHXqMPDze4uwBrMrJSTENgH35JNTRkTkofHheCl

seicer

Interstate 75 was designed for express/local lanes in several areas (mileposts approximate):
  • Milepost 14 in Sharonville to Milepost 24 in Liberty Township
  • Milepost 38 in Franklin to Milepost 48 in West Carrollton

Similarly, Interstate 271 has express/local lanes from Interstate 480 near Macedonia to Interstate 90 in Wickliffe. Interstate 90 was designed for express/local lanes, never built, from Interstate 271 east Milepost 200 at Painesville.

TempoNick

Of course, I've driven through there, but I've never really viewed things from that angle. I didn't realize it was so wide. I thought they were showing a picture of maybe Atlanta at first.

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully, future reconstruction projects will be implemented to eliminate the unnecessary space in the medians of those portions of the freeways.

michiganguy123

Quote from: TempoNick on April 08, 2024, 04:20:27 PMWhy is the I-75 median so wide south of Dayton? Is there an engineering reason for this, such as needing the extra median for water to collect? See:

https://www.facebook.com/KelleyKingWDTN/posts/pfbid0XQeFkWxPouypXAGPaY8cweuWnZkHXqMPDze4uwBrMrJSTENgH35JNTRkTkofHheCl

These huge medians are everywhere in Michigan with uncut trees, very nice because the trees block highbeams.

mgk920

I agree that it is reserved space for an undefined future upgrade to the highway.

Mike

GCrites

Wasn't there also talk of a passenger rail corridor in the median at some point?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.