News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

$3 billion project to widen South Carolina insterstates

Started by afguy, October 19, 2018, 04:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

The plan would widen I-26 to six lanes between Columbia and Charleston and widen I-95 from GA State line to U.S. 17, a distance of 33 miles.

QuoteThe plan calls for adding an additional lane in each direction for 33 miles between U.S. 17 and the Georgia state line.
It also calls for expanding to three lanes in each direction on I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.
The agency said the I-26 work would cost about $1.8 billion. The I-95 work would cost $1.2 billion.
Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall said Thursday's vote will let the agency begin planning.
https://www.wjcl.com/article/dollar3-billion-project-to-widen-south-carolina-insterstates/23928105

kevinb1994

Quote from: afguy on October 19, 2018, 04:21:30 PM
The plan would widen I-26 to six lanes between Columbia and Charleston and widen I-95 from GA State line to U.S. 17, a distance of 33 miles.

QuoteThe plan calls for adding an additional lane in each direction for 33 miles between U.S. 17 and the Georgia state line.
It also calls for expanding to three lanes in each direction on I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.
The agency said the I-26 work would cost about $1.8 billion. The I-95 work would cost $1.2 billion.
Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall said Thursday's vote will let the agency begin planning.
https://www.wjcl.com/article/dollar3-billion-project-to-widen-south-carolina-insterstates/23928105

This is a much-needed improvement project for the Palmetto State. Although we haven't driven on I-26 yet, I-95 really could use a widening for its entire length in SC. Especially for emergencies.

wriddle082

Quote from: afguy on October 19, 2018, 04:21:30 PM

This is hillarious, as it didn't make the news on either WIS or WLTX in Columbia, but it's the top story on 3rd-place WOLO.

Obviously I'm all for this, and they have a head start with the 95 stretch right now since they're been clearing many of the median trees.

I sincerely hope that they consider replacing a couple of the loop ramps at the 26/95 cloverleaf with flyovers, namely the movements from 95 NB to 26 WB (2 lanes minimum) and 95 SB to 26 EB.

sparker

I'm surprised that the 6-laning on I-95 wasn't done at least north to the I-26 interchange.  And in complete agreement with wriddle082's suggestions about upgrading the 26/95 interchange (long overdue!).

VTGoose

Quote from: sparker on October 21, 2018, 01:26:21 AM
I'm surprised that the 6-laning on I-95 wasn't done at least north to the I-26 interchange.  And in complete agreement with wriddle082's suggestions about upgrading the 26/95 interchange (long overdue!).

Work on all of this should have started long ago. There are some here who argue that "occasional" high traffic loads around holidays and vacation time don't have much impact on the total traffic counts that drive improvements, but odds are good those people haven't had to deal with those traffic messes. Two lanes of I-95 aren't adequate for heavy traffic filled with people who can't drive. Mixing traffic that moves below the speed limit with drivers who want to greatly exceed the speed limit, with a heavy dose of trucks at all speeds (including passing each other with a 1-MPH difference) only leads to frustration and long backups.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Henry

This is very badly needed! I do think that I-95 needs to be widened so it can accommodate traffic from the Northeast that's headed for FL and vice versa. Along with I-85, they are two of the most important corridors in both NC and SC.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.