News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend

Started by monty, July 12, 2019, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on December 07, 2019, 12:28:28 AM
I didn't see those ramps on the south side. I guess my split diamond idea wouldn't have worked.
Too close to the US-24 interchange. In my concept, I relocated the roadway further north and put a partial cloverleaf fully in the northern quadrant in order to provide an adequate merging / weaving area between the interchanges via an auxiliary lane, about 2,000 feet. Still slightly short, but it's either that or braided ramps.

Life in Paradise

With that last photo and the ramps just to the south, that reminds me of the mess at US 41 just north of I-64 at Haubstadt/Warrenton IN.  There are three truck stops at a lighted intersection just to the north of the cloverleaf.  It is so close that the acceleration/deceleration lanes for the cloverleaf start basically at the intersection.  Talk about a cluster....No one thought this through when they were starting to purchase property, but INDOT has worked on this area for years, and it is still a mess.  When I go north from Evansville, I have a way around it, just because I don't want to get caught at the light behind slow moving trucks coming on the road.

silverback1065

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 07, 2019, 01:06:27 PM
With that last photo and the ramps just to the south, that reminds me of the mess at US 41 just north of I-64 at Haubstadt/Warrenton IN.  There are three truck stops at a lighted intersection just to the north of the cloverleaf.  It is so close that the acceleration/deceleration lanes for the cloverleaf start basically at the intersection.  Talk about a cluster....No one thought this through when they were starting to purchase property, but INDOT has worked on this area for years, and it is still a mess.  When I go north from Evansville, I have a way around it, just because I don't want to get caught at the light behind slow moving trucks coming on the road.

this tends to happen a lot near cloverleaves  :banghead:

JREwing78

I'd put in an interchange at 200N and build access roads on each side of the roadway to provide direct connections to the State Police post, REMC, and the truck stop. If you're putting in another overpass, I'd do it at Eel River Cemetary Rd (425W). 100N should be cul-de-sac'ed at US-31.

It's not ideal for access to any of these entities, but it's the safest option and much cheaper than trying to shoehorn in a short-spaced interchange. No need to tear down any of the existing buildings either.

Revive 755

With that last photo and the ramps just to the south, that reminds me of the mess at US 41 just north of I-64 at Haubstadt/Warrenton IN.  There are three truck stops at a lighted intersection just to the north of the cloverleaf.  It is so close that the acceleration/deceleration lanes for the cloverleaf start basically at the intersection.

Nitpick:  The ramp from WB I-64 to NB US 41 doesn't get an acceleration lane, and is instead signal controlled.  Google Aerial Photo

theline

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 12:32:18 AM
Quote from: X99 on December 07, 2019, 12:28:28 AM
I didn't see those ramps on the south side. I guess my split diamond idea wouldn't have worked.
Too close to the US-24 interchange. In my concept, I relocated the roadway further north and put a partial cloverleaf fully in the northern quadrant in order to provide an adequate merging / weaving area between the interchanges via an auxiliary lane, about 2,000 feet. Still slightly short, but it's either that or braided ramps.

As has been mentioned, all those suggesting interchanges at US-31/CR 100 are firmly in fictional ground currently, since INDOT has designated this spot as an intersection rebuild and signal removal only. I was trying to suggest what they might actually do here. I agree that the J-turns are not a good solution, especially this close to the US-24 ramps. It may end up that INDOT sees the folly of this plan before it gets implemented and hold off until interchange money can be found, or maybe in their wisdom they can come up with some interchange rebuild plan better than what I've outlined.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 07, 2019, 11:06:29 PM
With that last photo and the ramps just to the south, that reminds me of the mess at US 41 just north of I-64 at Haubstadt/Warrenton IN.  There are three truck stops at a lighted intersection just to the north of the cloverleaf.  It is so close that the acceleration/deceleration lanes for the cloverleaf start basically at the intersection.

Nitpick:  The ramp from WB I-64 to NB US 41 doesn't get an acceleration lane, and is instead signal controlled.  Google Aerial Photo
That is true, but it was originally the other way, and the traffic was so bad with trucks moving over at a slow speed to make the left turn at the light that they had to put a light on US41 at the exit ramp intersection to slow the N/B traffic down.

SSR_317

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 12:20:10 AM
A bit on the fictional side, but here's a conceptualization I made of a full build out for the CR-100 / US-31 intersection.

Thoughts?
I like it. I assume there would be auxiliary lanes on NB 31 between the entry ramp from WB 24 and the exit loop to the relocated CoRd 100N as well as the reverse on SB 31 between the entry loop from the new alignment of CoRd 100N and the exit ramp to WB 24.

Buck87

One week ago I drove US 31 from I-465 to US 20 for the first time

Put me down for being in the camp that says that while it doesn't need to be a full freeway, it should have all the remaining traffic lights removed, and preferably replaced with interchanges. I do like sprjus4's above proposal, and agree with SSR_317's suggestion of adding auxiliary lanes between the two exits to make it work better.

Also, on my drive last week I did roll my eyes at the fact that when the freeway ended north of Westfield the speed limit went up. I imagine that must be really frustrating coming the other way. "Hey look, this road is becoming a freeway! That must mean that the speed limit will be going from 60 up to.........55??? WTF!!!"

2trailertrucker

The 4lane divided  55 mph stretch is patrolled by the locals, so you better behave. But once you clear the light at Bakers Corners, hammer down. If you don't, you will get run over.

silverback1065

drive it enough and you will know where they hide, it's always the same places, once you know, you can go back to 70 mph. 

sprjus4

Waze is your best friend for finding police.

monty

Your illustration is close to one draft proposal I saw several years ago. Pushed the interchange north of 100 N to the road to the next county road - which also has a state police post. Then those leads trickle back south to the truck stop.
monty

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 07, 2019, 11:06:29 PM

Removed in 1999 due to so many trucks trying to reach Flying J and Loves on the left after leaving I-64 West.  It was causing accidents with northbound US-41 drivers.

theline

There is still a lot of support in my area for making 31 a full freeway, though I suppose that could diminish once all traffic lights are eliminated. As for now, the U.S. 31 Coalition director at a recent meeting said that the progress is encouraging but the work isn't done: https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/foodforthought/u-s-improvements-on-mark-so-far/article_94c131b4-1dec-11ea-a011-0b3e4729ee2c.html.

The coalition wants the state to find the money to finish the freeway, which may take "$700 million to $900 million to complete." They don't think J-turns are the answer.
QuoteThe two new overpasses and seven interchanges are big wins, but he doesn't agree with all the changes INDOT is proposing. Some of the 16 improvements being planned are what are called "J turns,"  where a right hand turn and re-entering the highway are necessary for U-turns rather than interchanges. "A J-turn is not a freeway,"  he said.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theline on December 19, 2019, 02:57:27 AM
There is still a lot of support in my area for making 31 a full freeway, though I suppose that could diminish once all traffic lights are eliminated. As for now, the U.S. 31 Coalition director at a recent meeting said that the progress is encouraging but the work isn't done: https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/foodforthought/u-s-improvements-on-mark-so-far/article_94c131b4-1dec-11ea-a011-0b3e4729ee2c.html.

The coalition wants the state to find the money to finish the freeway, which may take "$700 million to $900 million to complete." They don't think J-turns are the answer.
QuoteThe two new overpasses and seven interchanges are big wins, but he doesn't agree with all the changes INDOT is proposing. Some of the 16 improvements being planned are what are called "J turns,"  where a right hand turn and re-entering the highway are necessary for U-turns rather than interchanges. "A J-turn is not a freeway,"  he said.

$700-900 million could pay to add a 3rd lane to a lot of miles on 65 and 70, and that will improve safety more than converting the rural parts of 31 to freeway.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Terry Shea

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 19, 2019, 07:28:36 AM

QuoteThe two new overpasses and seven interchanges are big wins, but he doesn’t agree with all the changes INDOT is proposing. Some of the 16 improvements being planned are what are called “J turns,” where a right hand turn and re-entering the highway are necessary for U-turns rather than interchanges. “A J-turn is not a freeway,” he said.

$700-900 million could pay to add a 3rd lane to a lot of miles on 65 and 70, and that will improve safety more than converting the rural parts of 31 to freeway.
Why ration safety?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Terry Shea on December 19, 2019, 03:53:17 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on December 19, 2019, 07:28:36 AM

QuoteThe two new overpasses and seven interchanges are big wins, but he doesn’t agree with all the changes INDOT is proposing. Some of the 16 improvements being planned are what are called “J turns,” where a right hand turn and re-entering the highway are necessary for U-turns rather than interchanges. “A J-turn is not a freeway,” he said.

Why ration safety?

I wouldn't ration it, but as funds become available, I'd put it towards the highest-benefit projects first.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ibthebigd

If Michigan want's an I-67 to Grand Rapids then go for it.

SM-G950U

sprjus4

An interstate-grade US-31 between Indianapolis and South Bend would be ideal and is a good long-range vision, but I agree that I-65 and I-70 widening should have top priority. Those highways have high truck percentages and moderate traffic volumes that warrant 6-lanes. US-31 is a rural 4-lane expressway with tolerable traffic conditions, and billions of dollars shouldn't be shoved at it to make it freeway grade as I-65 and I-70 sit there still with only 4-lanes.

Once I-65 and I-70 have been largely expanded to 6-lanes throughout Indiana, then we can start looking at upgrading US-31 to interstate standards.

monty

The thought of J turns on this segment scare me. You've got people going 70+ mph approaching semi trucks making U turns. I am lucky to find an open space to cross the highway safely in a semi as it is now - let alone U turning.
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on December 19, 2019, 10:51:32 PM
The thought of J turns on this segment scare me. You've got people going 70+ mph approaching semi trucks making U turns. I am lucky to find an open space to cross the highway safely in a semi as it is now - let alone U turning.

these are band aids.  also i just learned that division road will be an interchange, and it is currently on it's way to design

sparker

Since the long-term plan by INDOT was, at least originally, to deploy a full freeway (Interstate grade?!) along US 31 -- and that plan was publicized at least ten years ago -- locals may see some form of "bait & switch" being applied here.  Of course it's a two-way street -- if they want that full freeway treatment, they've got to put up with property taking and indirect access to the new facility.  Obviously the scaling down of the project is primarily for fiscal reasons -- but it will be interesting to see how the agency will respond to those who claim that they're being short-changed. 

Since Indy-Kokomo is planned to be freeway in any case, the "downscaled" territory is essentially the 25 miles north of the end of the new Kokomo bypass to around the IN 16 junction, plus a few locations north of there with private access points -- problematic, but only a portion of the full corridor.  My guess is that INDOT will upgrade the remainder of the route where the facility is already an effective expressway without private access, put whatever interim facilities (including those J-turns) are deemed appropriate along the "conventional" divided highway -- while making it clear that they are interim measures -- but offer only a "ballpark" timetable for full freeway corridor completion.  Then they can simply procrastinate until funding is clearly identified or, alternately, they're put on the political hotseat to expedite the project.   Either way, it's probably a decidedly long-term situation.

SSR_317

Quote from: monty on December 19, 2019, 10:51:32 PM
Amen! Do it right (full freeway) or don't do it at all (leave the signalized intersections until you can afford interchanges).

ysuindy

Came across this page today in a link from a newspaper article

https://www.in.gov/indot/3973.htm

Includes a map with scheduled dates for each improvement

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.