News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida Signals vs Texas

Started by Brian556, July 29, 2013, 12:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I do like the vertical signals. It's interesting that FL uses blue red light indicators above the heads, but Texas uses white. The blue is kinda pretty and looks decorative.

I did notice some things about Florida signals that aren't as good as Texas:

1. Lack of extra heads or signal ahead signs when a signal is located around a curve. I noticed this at several intersections and it is a safety hazard.
I think this was one of the intersections that I thought needed and extra head on the far side:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.593391,-81.349833&spn=0.000009,0.00626&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=28.593459,-81.349754&panoid=-KMkvdIjK85Ng1rLkzgBew&cbp=12,241.46,,0,0

2. At a few intersections, the heads don't line up with the lanes properly:
example: US 192 at Polynesian Isles: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.333317,-81.495833&spn=0.000002,0.001565&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.333317,-81.495833&panoid=H6rLa6n9B3ZTpzz6Y3Klqg&cbp=12,169.43,,0,0

3. When the name of a cross street changes at an intersection, both names do not appear on the sign located on your side of the road. You have to look at the back of the sign on the opposite side of the road to get this information, which is impractical because this area is outside of the area you look at while driving, b) it is sometimes too far over to see, c)If you see a sign on your side with only one name, you assume that the only name of the cross street.

This intersection is bad for several reasons. There is poor signal visibility because:
a. The signal is located in a curve.
b. The signal is located under a bridge.
c. The signal indications are 8-inch, when all others in the state (except maybe Key West) are 12 -inch.
d. The signals are very dim due to lens deterioration and/or dirty reflectors (mirrors behind bulbs)
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.536326,-81.378635&spn=0.000013,0.00626&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=28.536384,-81.378657&panoid=vyNSCix7taX3DjrQeBJ5KA&cbp=12,159.86,,0,0

UptownRoadGeek

Which part of Texas, since signal setups vary across the either state depending on what region you're in. Also, you do realize that you just basically described most of America and probably even some parts of Texas in the OP?

roadman65

Florida does not have a standard set up for signals, but its default is concrete strain poles and span wire.  Many areas are placing mast arms. Orlando is using CalTrans bent arms painted brown and most signals have a light attached to the top of the poles even when regular street lights prevail and some even post extra lights on corners without signals to give all four corners light.

Orange County is standardizing with brown monotube mast arms as its norm, if they are willing to pay extra for it, as one intersection is going backwards where Orange County is replacing a mast arm assembly with a span wire assembly.

Dade and Monroe Counties are using monotube mast arms with horizontal heads.
The Panhandle is going horizontal, but unlike Dade and Monroe are painting them brown.
Tampa Bay area is going monotube, with some intersections span wire with metal poles, and all bare metal.

FDOT does not maintain signals, and allows the individual municipalities to operate them and give them carte blanche when deciding on a design.

Texas, seems to use horizontal signals as the norm, but see vertical in many places.  San Antonio uses vertical as well as Galveston from what I have seen.  Also the colors seem to change when you move to SE Texas as it goes to black there where normally Texas signals are yellow.  I am guessing the color scheme is a district thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

brickbuilder711

Wow, out of curiosity which intersection in Orange would that be? I also read up two intersections in Osceola went that way too, one of them I think I found which is 535 and the Osceola Pkwy off ramp, now I couldn't find the other.

roadman65

Taft-Vineland Road and OBT.  The one where those who widened Taft-Vineland west of OBT decided to end the road widening project 500 feet west of OBT and not continue at least to the intersection.

Both Osceola Parkway signals are on 535.  The one as you said at Poinciana Boulevard and the other at is at Polynesian Isles, that were both mast arms and relatively new in instalation.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.