News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 16, 2022, 03:46:55 PM
Well obviously we shouldn't do it based on the last part but otherwise if NYC wants it's problem solved it needs to add more capacity which will include building more GP lanes. That seems to be a fairy tale so if their solution is just to ban as much traffic as they can well it's one I'll disagree with. In a way they would be harming the working class including African Americans as they'd be shutting off of roads if they're working.
More like those vehicles which could travel on now-parkway would have to take longer routes, take more road space, increase traffic elsewhere. More emissions as well.
There is a theory that making car commute more difficult would shift more people towards public transportation. Commercial delivery, though, is not going to shift to subway no matter what.
Of course, there is a beauty of the park to be enjoyed while waiting in traffic - which would be ruined by U-Haul orange.... And I have problems with inserting google link for some less than lovely parkway view. 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kalvado on August 16, 2022, 03:59:23 PM
Well obviously we shouldn't do it based on the last part but otherwise if NYC wants it's problem solved it needs to add more capacity which will include building more GP lanes. That seems to be a fairy tale so if their solution is just to ban as much traffic as they can well it's one I'll disagree with. In a way they would be harming the working class including African Americans as they'd be shutting off of roads if they're working.
More like those vehicles which could travel on now-parkway would have to take longer routes, take more road space, increase traffic elsewhere. More emissions as well.
There is a theory that making car commute more difficult would shift more people towards public transportation. Commercial delivery, though, is not going to shift to subway no matter what.
Of course, there is a beauty of the park to be enjoyed while waiting in traffic - which would be ruined by U-Haul orange.... And I have problems with inserting google link for some less than lovely parkway view.
Then I'm not quite sure where we disagree.

kalvado

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 16, 2022, 04:36:26 PM
Quote from: kalvado on August 16, 2022, 03:59:23 PM
Then I'm not quite sure where we disagree.
@alps is a person, not a place!

roadman65

Does anyone recall the nature of the 3-2-3 traffic configuration of the upper deck of the GWB as seen in the 1972 Maude Sitcom opener?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUvRCHNCTJQ

Looks like only the three outside lanes on each side had some sort of physical divider and that was from the center two lanes that was two ways and a double yellow line with pylons in the middle during the 1950's when the film was captured.  I do remember that layout as a kid when my parents crossed it in the early seventies. So the change had to be mid seventies to the jersey wall and four lanes each way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on August 16, 2022, 09:03:00 PM
Does anyone recall the nature of the 3-2-3 traffic configuration of the upper deck of the GWB as seen in the 1972 Maude Sitcom opener?

Speaking of which, in that opening at 0:28, what road is that?

roadman65

Quote from: ixnay on August 17, 2022, 07:17:33 AM

That's a good question.  It could be a highway in just about any state.

I believe the final road on this, the neighborhood of Maude's house is in California.   In the shows closer, the red no parking curbs give that one away as New York ( or any state on the East Coast for that matter) don't use anything but yellow curbs for no parking.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

First, that video on the GW Bridge has to be 1959 or later. I see a '59 Chevy and about a 1959 or '60 Ford Falcon coming the other way in the reversible lanes. 

Second, I may be mistaken but I think the lanes were changed to 4/4 configuration in the late 1960's after the lower level was opened in 1964.

And the highway shown right after the bridge scene is likely the Palisades Interstate Parkway which goes north from the New Jersey side of the bridge.

astralentity

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2022, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: ixnay on August 17, 2022, 07:17:33 AM

That's a good question.  It could be a highway in just about any state.

I believe the final road on this, the neighborhood of Maude's house is in California.   In the shows closer, the red no parking curbs give that one away as New York ( or any state on the East Coast for that matter) don't use anything but yellow curbs for no parking.

I always thought that rural freeway clip could have been the Thruway or possibly the Taconic in Westchester before it was widened.

crispy93

I took a drive through Millbrook and noticed this janky traffic circle on NY 343: https://goo.gl/maps/DnFXvgZQXTkAE7ad7

Also drove through Dutchess CR 9 and 21 and could've sworn there was a half-baked DCDPW circle there many years ago, and it looks like it wasn't a fever dream lol: https://goo.gl/maps/Fg7yzYt4Y4xbYzx88
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

The Ghostbuster

I've seen a few of those here in Madison. I believe they are for "traffic calming" purposes. I would call using them traffic annoyance measures.

froggie

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2022, 05:02:51 PM
I've seen a few of those here in Madison. I believe they are for "traffic calming" purposes. I would call using them traffic annoyance measures.

That isn't the case here.  Both of crispy's examples date at least back to the 1950s.

crispy93

Does the MUTCD require that interstate highways have posted mile markers? I've always wondered why interstates in NYC only have reference markers. I know the New England Thruway has its own mileposts and the Hutch now has proper mile markers all the way down to the Bruckner Interchange. I can't imagine there's a huge desire for them but they should still be posted.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

RobbieL2415

Quote from: crispy93 on August 23, 2022, 08:03:04 AM
Does the MUTCD require that interstate highways have posted mile markers? I've always wondered why interstates in NYC only have reference markers. I know the New England Thruway has its own mileposts and the Hutch now has proper mile markers all the way down to the Bruckner Interchange. I can't imagine there's a huge desire for them but they should still be posted.
Up until recently, there were huge swaths of unmarked Interstate mileage on CT due to years of neglect.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 23, 2022, 09:48:00 AM
Quote from: crispy93 on August 23, 2022, 08:03:04 AM
Up until recently, there were huge swaths of unmarked Interstate mileage on CT due to years of neglect.

Still are.  Much of I-95 between Branford and Groton, and I-84 between Waterbury and Southington are quite devoid of quality mile markers (plus from Sisson Ave to I-384 has only whole mile enhanced markers).  I-691 has never had any of any kind.  I-291 only recently got them, and I-384 has been upgraded recently.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Just had a meeting where an operations engineer bemoaned the fact that mile markers are targets for vandalism in urban areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheGrassGuy

I still have no clue how I-790 worked and looked pre reconstruction
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

amroad17

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 28, 2022, 11:45:46 PM
I-790 was a two lane road from the Thruway tollbooths to the NY 8/NY 12 freeway.  The road traveled on the grassy strip between the two retention ponds south of the current I-790 EB lanes.  The road got closer to the EB Thruway lanes until I-790 WB was next to them as it went under the NY 8/NY 12 freeway and made a left loop to enter the freeway SB, where the SB to EB loop ramp currently is.  I-790 EB exited at a RIRO ramp across from the SB RIRO ramp and joined the WB lane right above the cut in the canal just south of the current NB to EB ramp movement.  If one was heading south on NY 8/NY 12, one would have to exit at the SB RIRO to get to I-790 EB and the Thruway.

I don't rely on the accuracy of the years posted on Historic Aerials as I remember driving on I-790 when it was still two lanes in the early 2000's as I needed to stop at a motel there in Utica before heading to Boston for a delivery.  I do remember that the configuration was different as the highway was closer to the EB lanes of the Thruway sooner than in the early 1980's.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

TMETSJETSYT

Hey guys, just a question. Why does NYSDOT make mistakes with so many of their state route signs, and then they just role with it? I was driving on NY-23 Eastbound about to go over the Rip Van Winkle Br, and then I noticed, at the NY-23 and NY-385 Junction, going Eastbound  23, the signs for NY-385 East and West were messed up! The shield was upside down, but the numbers were fine! Ill povide a image down below, but why is this so common? Thanks.

https://chat.google.com/u/1/api/get_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&content_type=image%2Fjpeg&attachment_token=AD3oLg2EyC4LjXXSiiar9YCajyRRExoITFpjP5rLYdBOYkPDLDRuKjgOj2G%2BNOmjv1jO8MmOMY5oHo1jkv49q218Tc%2BkbmLWVyEEawEFTvzhVFR%2F8st5tkmEnsV8E2KaVi9%2FwAmiyCKn%2FC%2FoYvbOkQc64%2Fdi9Njr8wCPLzDq%2BF3FvzRQwrZSNoSkFf9motvxTHgSc5zl%2Fdm%2BTuZ6eLiTReOOu80q6npkm5%2BcxstIs2zbxAiCtPzvdtdvH%2FzDga994MkmngguHsAC1qO69jpgGoNdiYh6NqWpImHoaCiDYum0kUgDl15PpxrxKB0Ff9fGFpZi37%2Bph4lVSlXtNkIl%2BHdRXYVVjGJzGsr3K1Frih06sb6HLvBLAzeoPCTDwqENnQfp4i3adOz5etJMJH7VtLm%2B8ixPZgXdf1iSXF%2Fk6%2BH7hiUZuaOttU3fes2viqiz8chufqBoKueBS7opPd9MLf6UHmpoRcUnGLftiaX6GwXuUm7drCqHN0ixHVuMgj%2FC7T%2FQIR6ccPzTyeoNVV2U%2FICqIA%3D%3D&sz=w512&authuser=1

https://chat.google.com/u/1/api/get_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&content_type=image%2Fjpeg&attachment_token=AD3oLg2EyC4LjXXSiiar9YCajyRRExoITFpjP5rLYdBOYkPDLDRuKjgOj2G%2BNOmjv1jO8MmOMY5oHo1jkv49q218Tc%2BkbmLWVyEEawEFTvzhVFR%2F8st5tkmEnsV8E2KaVi9%2FwAmiyCKn%2FC%2FoYvbOkQc64%2Fdi9Njr8wCPLzDq%2BF3FvzRQwrZSNoSkFf9motvxTHgSc5zl%2Fdm%2BTuZ6eLiTReOOu80q6npkm5%2BcxstIs2zbxAiCtPzvdtdvH%2FzDga994MkmngguHsAC1qO69jpgGoNdiYh6NqWpImHoaCiDYum0kUgDl15PpxrxKB0Ff9fGFpZi37%2Bph4lVSlXtNkIl%2BHdRXYVVjGJzGsr3K1Frih06sb6HLvBLAzeoPCTDwqENnQfp4i3adOz5etJMJH7VtLm%2B8ixPZgXdf1iSXF%2Fk6%2BH7hiUZuaOttU3fes2viqiz8chufqBoKueBS7opPd9MLf6UHmpoRcUnGLftiaX6GwXuUm7drCqHN0ixHVuMgj%2FC7T%2FQIR6ccPzTyeoNVV2U%2FICqIA%3D%3D&sz=w512&authuser=1
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

hotdogPi

I'm getting a 403 error from Google when I click those links.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TMETSJETSYT

ILl upload them to a google doc or something and ill post the link.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

TMETSJETSYT

kalvado

Quote from: TMETSJETSYT on August 29, 2022, 07:23:26 AM
Hey guys, just a question. Why does NYSDOT make mistakes with so many of their state route signs, and then they just role with it? I was driving on NY-23 Eastbound about to go over the Rip Van Winkle Br, and then I noticed, at the NY-23 and NY-385 Junction, going Eastbound  23, the signs for NY-385 East and West were messed up! The shield was upside down, but the numbers were fine! Ill povide a image down below, but why is this so common? Thanks.
I wonder if you're the first one to notice...

TMETSJETSYT

I can't tell if hes being sarcastic or not. He probably is though.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: amroad17 on August 29, 2022, 12:27:07 AM
I-790 was a two lane road from the Thruway tollbooths to the NY 8/NY 12 freeway.  The road traveled on the grassy strip between the two retention ponds south of the current I-790 EB lanes.  The road got closer to the EB Thruway lanes until I-790 WB was next to them as it went under the NY 8/NY 12 freeway and made a left loop to enter the freeway SB, where the SB to EB loop ramp currently is.  I-790 EB exited at a RIRO ramp across from the SB RIRO ramp and joined the WB lane right above the cut in the canal just south of the current NB to EB ramp movement.  If one was heading south on NY 8/NY 12, one would have to exit at the SB RIRO to get to I-790 EB and the Thruway.

I don't rely on the accuracy of the years posted on Historic Aerials as I remember driving on I-790 when it was still two lanes in the early 2000's as I needed to stop at a motel there in Utica before heading to Boston for a delivery.  I do remember that the configuration was different as the highway was closer to the EB lanes of the Thruway sooner than in the early 1980's.
Is there a map? And what does Alp mean by "that could hardly be considered interstate standard"
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

amroad17

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 29, 2022, 11:28:34 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on August 29, 2022, 12:27:07 AM

Is there a map? And what does Alp mean by "that could hardly be considered interstate standard"
The only "map" I used was going on to the Historic Aerials website and looking at both aerial photos and topo maps of the area, plus my recollection of when I drove through the area back in 1982 and in 2003.  This is why I mentioned that I do not rely on the years given by Historic Aerials based on what I see when I bring up a particular year.  Some of the years are not correct.

"Interstate standard" is a term used about our Interstate Highways.  The highway has to be constructed to a certain standard.  Generally, that means the highway (or freeway/expressway depending on which part of the USA one lives) must have controlled access, minimum 2 lanes divided in each direction with a minimum design speed, a maximum grade (usually a maximum of 6%), and minimum lane width (min. 12 feet).  There should be at least a 10 foot paved right shoulder and, at minimum, a 4 foot paved left shoulder.  Also, there are standards for median width (min 50 ft, preferably 60 ft, urban areas-10 ft with a barrier), for pavement sloping for proper drainage, for vertical clearance for overpasses, overhead signs, tunnels, and bridges, and for recovery areas (signs, trees). 

So, I-790 was not "Interstate Standard" from when it was first posted in 1965.  It wasn't until the freeways on both sides of the Thruway from the Leland Ave overpass to the NY 8/NY 12 freeway were completed did I-790 become "Interstate Standard".
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.