News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oklahoma freeway eponyms

Started by J N Winkler, January 06, 2010, 12:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Just trying to run these down . . .

*  According to Wikipedia, L.L. Tisdale Parkway is named after Louis Tisdale, a prominent African-American minister in Tulsa.

*  I am reasonably certain (but have not yet verified) that H.E. Bailey was a former chief engineer of the Oklahoma Highway Department.  What I do know for sure is that he later started the firm of consulting engineers which designed about half of the eventual OTA network.

*  At a guess, the Gilcrease Expressway in Tulsa is named after Thomas Gilcrease, who also founded the Gilcrease Museum.

*  Roy Turner was governor of Oklahoma.

*  Will Rogers--well, everyone knows who he was . . .

*  Who was John Kilpatrick?  (Wikipedia suggests "famous hockey player," but why would a hockey player get a major urban freeway named after him in a state which sees relatively little snow?)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

Re: Kilpatrick -

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20051206/ai_n15900826/

QuoteHis civic endeavors were many, including serving as chairman of the Oklahoma City Chamber, the youngest to do this; president of the Oklahoma City Community Foundation, chairman of the Oklahoma City Arts Commission and longtime chairman of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.
Chris Sampang

bugo

The Muscogee (Creek) Nation has two turnpikes named after it: the Muskogee and Creek Turnpikes.  Don't ask me why they spell it differently.  The Muskogee Turnpike might have been named after the town, but the town was named after the tribe therefore the turnpike was at least indirectly named after the tribe.

Scott5114

From a 2003 Tulsa World article about the Turner:

QuoteApril 30, 1947  -- Turner signs act authorizing turnpike; Legislature votes to name it the Turner Turnpike. At least one disgruntled legislator said he did so to make sure voters "know who to blame."

I love OK state politics :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

You are correct about the naming. Tisdale was a noted African-American minister in Tulsa (and the father of the late Wayman Tisdale).  HE Bailey was the DOT Chief Engineer for many years.  Cherokee, Creek, and Chickasaw are all named after the tribes. Muskogee after the city.  Indian Nation is self-explanatory. Turner and Will Rogers you've already explained.  Ditto for Kilpatrick. 

You have nine turnpikes and a freeway/expressway.  There are quite a few others in OKC. I35 from the Cleveland County line north to I44 East is the Raymond Gary Expressway (former governor).  It is the Shannon Miller Expressway (Olympic gymnast) from there to the north Edmond city limits. I 40 is the Stanley Draper Expressway (civic leader) west from the Dallas junction to the county line?? It is the Tinker Diagonal east from the Fort Smith junction east past Tinker AFB. It is the Tom Steed Expressway (former US Congressman) from there east to about Shawnee.  I44 in OKC is named after a local minister (whose name escapes me). 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

TheStranger

Skelly Drive (I-44/former US 66 in Tulsa) - is there a name behind that one?
Chris Sampang

Scott5114

Maybe has something to do with the Skelly oil company?

There is the Lake Hefner Parkway in OKC, named after the lake it runs near. There is also the Broadway Extension (US 77), which extends the path of Broadway, I guess.

rte66man

Skelly Drive was named after William Skelly, who founded Skelly Oil. He was a Tulsa philanthropist.  Lake Hefner Parkway is named after the lake it runs next to. The lake was named after Robert Hefner, an OKC oilman and philanthropist (I love using that word). Yes, the Broadway Extension was originally an extension of Broadway Ave. It started at the corner of Boradway and 36th st and ran north over the original path of Broadway to Edmond. It is now officially the Centennial Expressway from I44 south to I40 (and labeled I235). 

Its funny how some of the names have stuck over the years (Skelly Drive, Broadway Extension) while others (Gary) have never caught on.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on July 14, 2010, 08:33:20 AM
Its funny how some of the names have stuck over the years (Skelly Drive, Broadway Extension) while others (Gary) have never caught on.

One reason Skelly Drive has caught on is because the frontage roads are locally known and signed as Skelly Drive.  Addresses along the frontage roads have Skelly Drive addresses.  To the average Tulsan, the frontage roads and only the frontage roads are Skelly Drive.  But we all know the freeway is part of Skelly.

Scott5114

Well, that's probably for the best. If people routinely applied the frontage road names to the actual highway, OKC would have freeways called S.W. 74th Street and High Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.