News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nevada

Started by gonealookin, November 27, 2018, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonealookin

Here's one for the Nevada Oddities file:  Permanently-installed US 395 cutout shields!

There's a detour route for US 395 from Holbrook Junction, just north of Topaz Lake at the NV/CA state line, to Bridgeport CA, following NV 208, NV 829, NV 338 and CA 182.  All but about 12 miles of the mileage of the detour route is in Nevada, but 98% of the bypassed portion of US 395 is in California.  There must have been enough closures of that section of US 395 (slides in the Walker River canyon, wildfires, construction, whatever) that at some point Caltrans and NDOT agreed to put these assemblies in place.  There must be over a dozen of them along the detour route.  They're almost always turned away from the road, "Chains Required" style.

The one in these photos is in "downtown" Wellington NV, on NV 829 approaching NV 208.  I like the irony that this one is directly across the road from NDOT's Wellington maintenance yard.

ClassicHasClass

I wonder if Caltrans provided the signs and NDOT put them up. I might have a drive out there and have a look at them.

roadfro

Very interesting. Definitely seems like Caltrans provided all the signs but NDOT posted them (as I don't think Caltrans braces signs to the extent NDOT does).

We did use to have one permanently-installed and traffic-facing California-style cutout, on US 93 at the Major's Place junction with US 6/50. It appears to have been a contractor one-off, but was around for a while–according to Street View, it has since been replaced.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ClassicHasClass

When was that? The last time I was out that way was '06.

roadfro

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 19, 2019, 09:32:21 PM
When was that? The last time I was out that way was '06.

I've never seen it in person myself. The cutout was there in a November 2007 Street View, and the photo I linked on Wikimedia Commons was taken in August 2014. The May 2018 Street View shows a standard US 93 shield (and the scenic route sign is gone).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

I've seen a couple US 395 cut-outs in Nevada over the years, unfortunately didn't have the presence in mind to take photos.  I've also seen a stray cut-out US 95 shield between Fallon and Beaty which I'm assuming was just Caltrans surplus. 

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2019, 10:16:06 AM
I've seen a couple US 395 cut-outs in Nevada over the years, unfortunately didn't have the presence in mind to take photos.  I've also seen a stray cut-out US 95 shield between Fallon and Beaty which I'm assuming was just Caltrans surplus.

Hmm... I've made the drive between Reno and Las Vegas at least once a year for the past 17-18 years and not seen a US 95 cutout. I'll have to be more attentive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on June 20, 2019, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2019, 10:16:06 AM

Hmm... I've made the drive between Reno and Las Vegas at least once a year for the past 17-18 years and not seen a US 95 cutout. I'll have to be more attentive.

I want to say there is was at one or two south of Boulder City or at least before it was four-laned.  I'm not seeing anything in my photo stock but I didn't take highway shields seriously before 2016. 

ClassicHasClass

It must have been prior to the 4-laning because I'm with roadfro here -- I drive that stretch about annually in both directions between I-40 and US 93 and don't recall a cutout going back at least to around 2005.

andy3175

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 18, 2019, 11:28:01 PM
I wonder if Caltrans provided the signs and NDOT put them up. I might have a drive out there and have a look at them.

Maybe. I don't see a "State of California" property label on any of the component signs. If this is not a California shield assembly, then maybe it was manufactured by a company that used California US shield specifications.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 21, 2019, 12:30:05 AM
It must have been prior to the 4-laning because I'm with roadfro here -- I drive that stretch about annually in both directions between I-40 and US 93 and don't recall a cutout going back at least to around 2005.

It's certainly possible, I've been using US 95 between Fallon and Needles at least once a year since the turn of the century.  Suffice to say there has been a ton of changes to the roadway, especially south of US 93.  I quick look at the AAroads shield gallery, there wasn't any additional California style cut-outs on there. 

gonealookin

The ~3-mile off-highway bicycle and pedestrian path along NV 28 between the Ponderosa Ranch at Incline Village and the Sand Harbor portion of Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park opened last Friday, June 28.  That project went on for a few years and there was quite a bit of related work on NV 28 itself which caused quite a bit of traffic disruption along there, so it's good to have it done and open for multiple reasons.  Watching the construction over that time it looks like a gorgeous path and I'll check it out once the Week From Hell At Tahoe, aka Fourth of July, is over and done with.

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/hundreds-celebrate-opening-of-east-shore-trail-at-lake-tahoe/

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on July 01, 2019, 12:44:27 PM
The ~3-mile off-highway bicycle and pedestrian path along NV 28 between the Ponderosa Ranch at Incline Village and the Sand Harbor portion of Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park opened last Friday, June 28.  That project went on for a few years and there was quite a bit of related work on NV 28 itself which caused quite a bit of traffic disruption along there, so it's good to have it done and open for multiple reasons.  Watching the construction over that time it looks like a gorgeous path and I'll check it out once the Week From Hell At Tahoe, aka Fourth of July, is over and done with.

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/hundreds-celebrate-opening-of-east-shore-trail-at-lake-tahoe/

I'd be curious to see that turned out.  We briefly looked at the construction of the bike path while visiting Sand Harbor last year.

roadfro

If you're planning to "Storm Area 51", don't plan on taking a picture of the "Extraterrestrial Highway" signs along SR 375.

"˜Extraterrestrial Highway' sign removed before "˜Storm Area 51' events, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 9/13/2019
The popular "Extraterrestrial Highway"  sign has been abducted by state transportation officials ahead of next week's planned "Storm Area 51"  related events.

The large rectangle sign, with "Extraterrestrial Highway"  across it in white letters, the state of Nevada and an aircraft on it, located at the junction of state Route 318 and state Route 375 just northwest of U.S. Highway 93, was removed Thursday by the Nevada Department of Transportation. The same sign located in Rachel near the Little A' Le' Inn is set to come down this weekend, too.

Since the sign already is a popular photo destination for travelers, transportation officials feared the expected mass of people traveling from Las Vegas to the Alien Research Center in Hiko and the Little A' Le' Inn in Rachel, might compound expected traffic issues by stopping to take photos of the sign.

"It's due for replacement since it's currently unreadable from stickers and other vandalism,"  said Tony Illia, transportation department spokesman. "As such, we removed it and will replace the sign after "˜Alienstock' to help reduce traffic congestion at this location from people stopping to take pictures."

The stretch of highway was given its nickname on April 18, 1996 and the sign is among the most stolen highway signs in Nevada, Illia said.

Despite that, the state officials said they didn't necessarily think someone would take the sign over the weekend.

"This is a newly created event,"  Illia added. "As such, we have no historical frame of reference. Regardless, we are still committed to being as properly prepared as possible."

Interesting to me was the tidbit about these signs being some of the most stolen in the state. Given the novelty, that's not super surprising–but it is surprising given the remoteness of these signs, since you'd really have to go out of your way to steal these signs.

Max Rockatansky

I guarantee someone would try to steal that sign during the event.  NV 375 shields already float around in suspiciously high circulation already, way too much so for such a remote highway.  Even I have one that I bought off an eBay seller, one at least that appears to be reputable. 

US 89

Quote from: roadfro on September 15, 2019, 11:54:13 AM
Interesting to me was the tidbit about these signs being some of the most stolen in the state. Given the novelty, that's not super surprising–but it is surprising given the remoteness of these signs, since you'd really have to go out of your way to steal these signs.

Also somewhat surprising given the huge volume of stickers on those signs that make them essentially unreadable. If those signs really were stolen that often, you'd think there wouldn't be as many stickers since you'd be starting fresh every so often.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 15, 2019, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: roadfro on September 15, 2019, 11:54:13 AM

Also somewhat surprising given the huge volume of stickers on those signs that make them essentially unreadable. If those signs really were stolen that often, you'd think there wouldn't be as many stickers since you'd be starting fresh every so often.

He was referring to the bit Extraterrestrial Highway sign.  That sign is way too big to be casually stolen with a saw or socket wrench set hence why it was so heavily stickered.  The NV 375 shields are easily grabbed given they just have a few bolts on a sign post. 

corco

I find it...fascinating that government officials actually seriously think there's going to be a massive influx of tourists at Area 51

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: corco on September 15, 2019, 01:45:01 PM
I find it...fascinating that government officials actually seriously think there's going to be a massive influx of tourists at Area 51

My wife wanted to go watch the event until explained to her how remote the terrain really was.  I was all up for a trip to Great Basin National Park by way of Tonopah and Ely.  I would have gladly made time to see suburbanites shocked by the utter desolation of NV 375, US 6 and the Great Basin/Mojave Desert. 

corco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2019, 01:50:13 PM

My wife wanted to go watch the event until explained to her how remote the terrain really was.  I was all up for a trip to Great Basin National Park by way of Tonopah and Ely.  I would have gladly made time to see suburbanites shocked by the utter desolation of NV 375, US 6 and the Great Basin/Mojave Desert. 

I just don't see what demographic actually goes out to Rachel, Nevada en masse for an event with no schedule or planning or lodging where you'd get cuffed and stuffed if you actually attempted to do what the fake event was ostensibly for. Maybe Burning Man-type folks...but they were just at Burning Man! They're not going to drive back out to rural Nevada for no reason two weeks later.

My guess is about 100 people show up. If that.

Edit: I see now there actually is a hastily organized event - I still don't think this is going to be much of a draw. The fact that there are still both tent and RV spots available at the Alien Research Center is telling.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: corco on September 15, 2019, 01:52:46 PM

I just don't see what demographic actually goes out to Rachel, Nevada en masse for an event with no schedule or planning or lodging where you'd get cuffed and stuffed if you actually attempted to do what the fake event was ostensibly for. Maybe Burning Man-type folks...but they were just at Burning Man! They're not going to drive back out to rural Nevada for no reason two weeks later.

Hell, I don't even understand the appeal of Burning Man.  I can only speak for myself why I like the back country of Nevada, suffice to say it has almost zero general appeal to the general masses nor is equipped to facilitate them.  I guess with Burning Man you're relatively close to Reno.  The desolation of a lonely and very dry desert is enough to deter 99% of people even before you get to things like organizing an event...or lack thereof. 

corco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2019, 01:55:52 PM

Hell, I don’t even understand the appeal of Burning Man.  I can only speak for myself why I like the back country of Nevada, suffice to say it has almost zero general appeal to the general masses nor is equipped to facilitate them.  I guess with Burning Man you’re relatively close to Reno. 

I've always wanted to go to Burning Man once just to see it - I don't think it's my jam though, and going just to see it is frowned upon. I did gas up at the Love's in Fernley a couple weeks ago as Burning Man was ending, not realizing what was going on. Pulled into the crowded parking lot and all these out-of-state cars were just covered in dust and then went in and there were many oddly-dressed folks, standing in line to buy snacks with their Amex cards. In that little sampling, it struck me as the kind of thing I'd hate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: corco on September 15, 2019, 01:58:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2019, 01:55:52 PM

Hell, I don't even understand the appeal of Burning Man.  I can only speak for myself why I like the back country of Nevada, suffice to say it has almost zero general appeal to the general masses nor is equipped to facilitate them.  I guess with Burning Man you're relatively close to Reno. 

I've always wanted to go to Burning Man once just to see it - I don't think it's my jam though, and going just to see it is frowned upon. I did gas up at the Love's in Fernley a couple weeks ago as Burning Man was ending, not realizing what was going on. Pulled into the crowded parking lot and all these out-of-state cars were just covered in dust and then went in and there were many oddly-dressed folks, standing in line to buy snacks with their Amex cards. In that little sampling, it struck me as the kind of thing I'd hate.

I've done some exploring out on the back roads in Northwest Nevada and had some run ins with the Burning Man crowds.  About the nicest thing I can probably say they seemed out of place and really somewhat ill prepared to be there.  I don't know, when I think of worthwhile things to do in Nevada it would probably be something like; hiking, finding a ghost town, off roading or participating in some event like the Military vehicle convoy on the old Lincoln Highway.  This whole Area 51 thing has that same feel that Burning Man kind of gave me. 

roadfro

Just came across this tweet... I'm dying

skluth

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish we could upvote posts like this. That's hysterical.  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.