News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Just one more roadgeek on aaroads.

Started by idk, October 07, 2020, 01:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idk

I am a new roadgeek who wants to learn even more about roads!

idk

Oh, I just noticed, are there ranks on this forum or something?

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!

There are ranks, but there are no additional privileges associated with these ranks.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on October 07, 2020, 06:35:11 AM
Welcome from Massachusetts!

There are ranks, but there are no additional privileges associated with these ranks.
Well, no official priviliges. I will not name names, but some forum members with high ranks act like anything they say goes because of their post count and longevity.

ozarkman417

Welcome to the hobby (and the forum)! You found the right place to learn about roads.

You will rank up fast at first, but as you go higher in ranking, it takes more posts to rank up.

kphoger

In case this hasn't been clear:  the 'rank' just has to do with how many posts you have.  It will change with time as you post more.

As for whether it matters or not...  The content of your posts is what really matters, although additional deference tends to be given to those with high post counts.  It's an imperfect proxy for the expert-iness of someone.  That is, the more posts they have, the more likely they are both to have consumed and to contribute valuable content.  Everyone knows newbies will have some rough edges and blind spots, though, so in that regard a low post count can actually be a benefit.

Few (not none but few) will be the criticisms leveled at newbies;  more will be the criticisms leveled at longer-standing members;  greater will be the tolerance for unsavory character flaws exhibited by veteran members.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 07, 2020, 11:55:21 AM
In case this hasn't been clear:  the 'rank' just has to do with how many posts you have.  It will change with time as you post more.

As for whether it matters or not...  The content of your posts is what really matters, although additional deference tends to be given to those with high post counts.  It's an imperfect proxy for the expert-iness of someone.  That is, the more posts they have, the more likely they are both to have consumed and to contribute valuable content.  Everyone knows newbies will have some rough edges and blind spots, though, so in that regard a low post count can actually be a benefit.

Few (not none but few) will be the criticisms leveled at newbies;  more will be the criticisms leveled at longer-standing members;  greater will be the tolerance for unsavory character flaws exhibited by veteran members.

I'm kind of surprised the post count thing survived the post whoring outbreak of a couple years ago.  For the most part though I think you can kind of tell the most common posters on AAroads generally are very active in the road hobby. 

kphoger

The past few years have been a much more congenial atmosphere on here than in years past.  Generally, conversations are quite friendly these days.  And, really, the only forums that have occasional spitfire are in the Off Topic section anyway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

index

Love the username.

Adding to the above posts: Thankfully people here seem to be much less heated and petty than just a few years ago. The whole dead horse-beating and ridicule of people for simple mistakes/incorrect info/seemingly nothing at all/creating a duplicate of a thread that existed 4 million years ago with —3 posts seems to also not be a thing anymore. You shouldn't have to worry about catching much flak on here, I think. You should be right at home here as a roadgeek.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

idk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.