News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by ZLoth - Today at 09:53:12 PM
I just decommissioned my mother's old laptop after it was replaced with a mini-PC a few months ago and ensuring that there was no further need. (A backup is on my server "just in case"). A few years ago, I replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 500GB 840 EVO SSD drive. Just for fun, I decided to check online for the price, and was shocked. Amazon lists the SSD drive for $160 while NewEgg lists the drive for $198. :-o

The funny part is that you can get a more modern drive for much cheaper. Amazon lists the 870 EVO 500GB for $75. NewEgg lists multiple 500GB SSDs (various specs) from $40 to $90.

Shrug. Into the "recycled for future use" box it goes. On the other hand, that box also had a 1 TB 2½" HDD that I pulled a year ago from my old laptop. I have no idea why I was saving it since, beyond my TrueNAS file server, I've banished hard drives from my life. I previously removed the partitions, and am performing a secure wipe now before it goes into the recycle bin.
Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by ZLoth - Today at 09:43:07 PM
What has me scratching my head is this from my TrueNAS Scale server:

Okay, eno1 and eno2 (hey, what happened to 0) are my server motherboard's ethernet ports, but both are limited to 1 Gigabit which is what was available in my price range in mid-2016. enp1s0 is a 2.5 gigabit network card which I installed as part of a home network upgrade, as I replaced the switch with a 2.5 gigabit switch, while all three of the computers on the network support 2.5 gigabit LAN connections. I'm still scratching my head on the naming. enoX is short for ethernnet onboard. I'm guessing that enp1s0 is short for Ethernet Port 1 PCI Slot 0.
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:54:34 PM
1482 = NC 902 + US 501 + US 64 BUS (way on the left) + US 15 by 74/171FAN

(https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218355448598076&set=a.10218355707644552)

General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:47:17 PM
It's usually a simple mixup where they try to edit a post but click "Quote" instead of "Quick Edit".
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by CanesFan27 - Today at 08:45:15 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 30, 2024, 10:03:28 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 30, 2024, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 30, 2024, 04:49:16 PMWait, Morehead City is a town of 8600 people?! How the fuck does that warrant an Interstate?
A town of 8600 people would not normally need interstate access. However Morehead City is a port and the center of the Crystal Coast beach resort area. Also the I-42 route serves two major military bases, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point. There's also some precedent for interstates going to beach resort areas: I-495 in Massachusetts (to Cape Cod) and I-195 in New Jersey (to the Jersey Shore resorts).
BTW, I-40 was originally planned to go to Morehead City until Wilmington lobbied harder to be the terminus, which explains the unusual north-south alignment that connects to Raleigh. But I-42 is a nice consolation prize to have, because better late than never.

I-40 was never originally planned for Morehead City.  I know I have corrected you a few times on this. 
https://www.gribblenation.org/2016/08/to-shore-north-carolinas-struggle-to.html

General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 08:41:18 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on Today at 04:12:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on Today at 07:30:38 AMhttps://www.google.com/maps/@28.0158344,-81.8642208,2691m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

The Exit 14 Plaza on FL 570 is not temporarily closed. It's currently collecting tolls electronically with the canopy and booths still erected. So it's fair to state the plaza is not closed at all.  It might be there temporarily until FTE gets the funding to tear it down for a more traditional toll gantry, but it's there draining all motorists as they travel.
Is there a reason you felt the need to make a post that was just a quote of a post you previously made earlier in the day?  :confused:  I'm sure people saw it (I know I saw the original), so I don't know what you're going for here.
Off-Topic / Re: Can you get regular Michel...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:22:28 PM
How about Schaefer Beer? I saw in GSV that the brewery on I-78/ US 22 near Fogelsville, PA that processed it is no longer present.  Did any other company buy them out to market or is Schaefer defunct?
Mid-South / Re: Irving: New 5-level interc...
Last post by MaxConcrete - Today at 08:21:24 PM
The project was officially dedicated today. This complicated interchange was completed amazingly fast by Texas standards.

Twitter post

Quote4.8 miles of new pavement + 4.6 miles of bridges =  reduced congestion in #Irving! Work started in 2020, and today we officially opened all roads! Thank you to our partners @NCTCOG
 @CityofIrving and contractor @webberllc
 for joining us today!
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:19:20 PM
Auto correct again.  I was wishing condolences to my friend who lost a mom.  When I typed in " May she rest in peace" the algorithm changed it to " May sheets in peace."

Oh yes the Capital M for the m in may is annoying like it done here.😣

Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by PColumbus73 - Today at 08:17:08 PM
Wade Avenue is short enough that adding a number would be a waste of signage at best, or worse just cause driver confusion. Signage already indicates that one can use it to access 40 and 440. Giving Wade Avenue an interstate number might encourage more drivers to use it to get Downtown when I-40 is likely the preferred route by NCDOT and Raleigh officials.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.