News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 New River Gorge Bridge/Beckley WV Meet is now Sat., April 8

Started by hbelkins, February 17, 2017, 06:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What date do you prefer for a New River Gorge/Beckley WV area meet?

Saturday, March 25
1 (12.5%)
Saturday, April 1
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 24, 2017, 06:33:51 PM

hbelkins

Starting a thread for the New River Gorge Bridge/Beckley, WV meet.

First order of business is to choose a date. Either of the two options works for me (I prefer April 1) but I will probably select the date that has the most votes.

I'm in Beckley as I type this and will post a preliminary itinerary in the next couple of days after final scouting is complete.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

I have a wedding to go to in VA on March 25th so I had to choose April 1st.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

I picked March 25th, because my dad's off. However, he wants to sleep because...I don't know.

So, guess I'm basically alone. Whomever carpools has gotta carpool us two around, unless we run out of space in everyone's car.

He's still not convinced to drive after getting lost in Central PA, even though we made it back safe and sound.

okroads

I'm good with either date. It's only about a 4-hour drive from Columbus and it would allow me to clinch the remaining section of US 33 in Ohio (from Athens to WV). I picked April 1 just because there would be slightly more daylight than March 25.

Alps

Does April 1 mean that we all go to the meet and you never show up? :-D

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2017, 12:40:43 AM
Does April 1 mean that we all go to the meet and you never show up? :-D

Not sure, but it does mean I'll have to have my April Fool's joke for my web site all queued up and ready to go before I leave for the meet.

vdeane

Maybe April 1 means we'll all have to be dressed up (nearly a whole year after the Tuxedo meet, after all).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

Considering the current consensus right now, guess I've been excluded for the meet. Just gotta see what happens.

oscar

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 18, 2017, 06:39:40 PM
Considering the current consensus right now, guess I've been excluded for the meet.

"Excluded" sounds a bit whiny. If a date is chosen that works best for other people, but doesn't work for you, then this will just be a meet you can't make. That happens to everybody, myself included (for this meet, neither date works for me, both too close to when I hopefully complete recovery from eye surgery).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

noelbotevera

Quote from: oscar on February 18, 2017, 07:00:46 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 18, 2017, 06:39:40 PM
Considering the current consensus right now, guess I've been excluded for the meet.

"Excluded" sounds a bit whiny. If a date is chosen that works best for other people, but doesn't work for you, then this will just be a meet you can't make. That happens to everybody, myself included (for this meet, neither date works for me, both too close to when I hopefully complete recovery from eye surgery).
Yeah, I've known that feeling. I've wanted to go to many, but some haven't come to fruition. I'm just into doing road trips and meets and such, because I don't really go out of my area much. But maybe something will happen...

hbelkins

Did the scouting today and have the details set. After I crunch the numbers, I may be able to push the start time back later than 10 a.m. Much of that will depend on which of the two dates is chosen.

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 17, 2017, 10:24:44 PM
I picked March 25th, because my dad's off. However, he wants to sleep because...I don't know.

So, guess I'm basically alone. Whomever carpools has gotta carpool us two around, unless we run out of space in everyone's car.

He's still not convinced to drive after getting lost in Central PA, even though we made it back safe and sound.

The reason I'm leaning toward April 1 is because there will be more daylight, and it's a week later than the other option, so that gives people more time to plan their trips. (six weeks vs. five weeks.)

The drivers shouldn't have difficulty on the tours (there will be two separate portions.) Neither route is very complicated, and in fact the majority of the first portion of the meet is on a one-way road.

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on February 18, 2017, 07:24:39 PM
Did the scouting today and have the details set. After I crunch the numbers, I may be able to push the start time back later than 10 a.m. Much of that will depend on which of the two dates is chosen.

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 17, 2017, 10:24:44 PM

The reason I'm leaning toward April 1 is because there will be more daylight, and it's a week later than the other option, so that gives people more time to plan their trips. (six weeks vs. five weeks.)

The drivers shouldn't have difficulty on the tours (there will be two separate portions.) Neither route is very complicated, and in fact the majority of the first portion of the meet is on a one-way road.
I understand your rationale for April 1st, but my mom has a friend who's got an anniversary, so I can't do that. My dad also didn't apply for time off on that date.

Fayette Station Road...that seems hairy to do stops on (unless there are no stops planned for the first part of the meet). Personally, I'd take pictures on the US 19 arch bridge, but it's your call.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2017, 05:49:07 PM
Maybe April 1 means we'll all have to be dressed up (nearly a whole year after the Tuxedo meet, after all).

Just wait.  I have an April Fool's road meet joke that will be even better...

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 18, 2017, 07:46:26 PM
I understand your rationale for April 1st, but my mom has a friend who's got an anniversary, so I can't do that. My dad also didn't apply for time off on that date.

You all could make a day trip of it at another time. Perhaps in June when there will be a lot of daylight and you could see everything you want (Corridor H or Sideling Hill, and Greenbrier) without it being dark.

QuoteFayette Station Road...that seems hairy to do stops on (unless there are no stops planned for the first part of the meet). Personally, I'd take pictures on the US 19 arch bridge, but it's your call.

There are several pullouts designed for people to stop; many of them have display boards for people to stop and read.

jpi

I voted for April 1 however, there will be a BIG diecast car convention the next weekend in Pittsburgh that Steph and I are commited to so it would still be up in the air if I can attend but still keeping it in mind.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Update: I'm eligible to go, but not certain. My dad can apply for leave on April 1st, but he may not be granted it.

Still though, I'm hoping.

Bitmapped

H.B., do you have a list of items to see for the meet?

For me, it'll probably come down to a spur of the moment decision if I attend or not. I've been all through the Beckley/NRG area many times so there's nothing new from a roadgeek perspective, but it's nice to catch up with people.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 18, 2017, 09:08:13 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 18, 2017, 07:46:26 PM

You all could make a day trip of it at another time. Perhaps in June when there will be a lot of daylight and you could see everything you want (Corridor H or Sideling Hill, and Greenbrier) without it being dark.

Big thing is, if you don't need to go there in late July, don't, because the National Scout Jamboree will be held in that area not terribly far from the bridge. I believe the previous Jamboree in 2013 drew some 45,000 people for the duration (meaning not counting people who showed up just to visit the site for a day or two), so that's a lot of extra traffic in the area if you aren't careful.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

Update Update: I'm going to see if I can't find a hotel reservation in Beckley for the meet. Any suggestions?

I also can't decide if I want to pick US 19 or the WV Turnpike once I clinch Corridor H (I decided on Corridor H because there may be new construction since the meet, so I may as well take it up).

And yes, I can do both dates, or I may not go at all. My dad still hasn't applied for leave on the night of March 31st.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 20, 2017, 12:27:40 PM
H.B., do you have a list of items to see for the meet?

For me, it'll probably come down to a spur of the moment decision if I attend or not. I've been all through the Beckley/NRG area many times so there's nothing new from a roadgeek perspective, but it's nice to catch up with people.

Gather at the visitors center and take a group photo on one of the observation areas. Then a self-guided, at-your-own-pace tour down Fayette Station. Lunch on your own or in small groups (no formal lunch). Reconvene in Beckley for a tour of East Beckley Bypass construction, out to the current end of the Coalfields Expressway and back to Beckley via I-64 east and the existing portion of the bypass. No post-meet meal or activity planned.

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 20, 2017, 02:40:22 PM
Update Update: I'm going to see if I can't find a hotel reservation in Beckley for the meet. Any suggestions?

I've stayed in four hotels in Beckley. The Microtel on Eisenhower Drive is very nice. I've stayed there multiple times. The EconoLodge and Travelodge are basic, no-frills motels and I was very satisfied with both of them. I also spent a night at the Baymont and was not impressed.

QuoteI also can't decide if I want to pick US 19 or the WV Turnpike once I clinch Corridor H (I decided on Corridor H because there may be new construction since the meet, so I may as well take it up).

Using the Turnpike adds about 60 miles, an hour of travel time and $4 in tolls to your trip.

noelbotevera

Quote from: hbelkins on February 20, 2017, 08:40:57 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 20, 2017, 02:40:22 PM

I've stayed in four hotels in Beckley. The Microtel on Eisenhower Drive is very nice. I've stayed there multiple times. The EconoLodge and Travelodge are basic, no-frills motels and I was very satisfied with both of them. I also spent a night at the Baymont and was not impressed.

QuoteI also can't decide if I want to pick US 19 or the WV Turnpike once I clinch Corridor H (I decided on Corridor H because there may be new construction since the meet, so I may as well take it up).

Using the Turnpike adds about 60 miles, an hour of travel time and $4 in tolls to your trip.
Late reply, but I don't care about time. I'm just trying to compare scenery. I could take US 19, but I don't think any recent work has happened on Corridor L. Corridor H is my main focus, and the WV Turnpike or Corridor L is a sidedish.

Nice. Will consider those.

hbelkins

Working on the itinerary now, and it looks as if Saturday, April 1 will be the date, but I do want to note a couple of things.

There is lodging available in the Fayetteville/Oak Hill area, but there's a wider selection nearby in Beckley and Summersville. Most of Beckley's hotels/motels are located at the WV 3 Harper Road exit off the WV Turnpike. Summersville's accommodations are along US 19.

Also, there will be no formal lunch associated with this meet. The tour down into the New River Gorge will be self-guided, and you can either carpool or drive on your own. Then when you're done with that portion of the meet, lunch will be on your own or in small groups. There's a wide variety of restaurants in Beckley (fast food and familiar sit-down chains such as Cheddar's, Logan's Roadhouse, etc.). There are some options in the Fayetteville/Oak Hill area (Shoney's and Bob Evans). And there are a couple of well-recommended local establishments in Fayetteville, Pies & Pints (a regional pizza chain that also has a location in Lexington, Ky.) and under the same ownership, an eclectic sandwich shop called Secret Sandwich Society. Be thinking about where you might want to eat lunch. Keep in mind that it's a 30-mile drive from the visitors center to where we'll gather for the Beckley-area part of the tour in the afternoon, and it typically takes about 30 minutes to drive under normal traffic.

(As for me, I will probably get MTO at one of the area Sheetz locations.)

hbelkins

I'll go ahead and start taking RSVPs since it looks like April 1 is going to be the date.

Note your attendance by emailing hbelkins (at) gmail.com.

Once the vote closes, I'll do a public Facebook event as well.

Roadgeek Adam

I will be declining on the basis of baseball, but also, I will be seeing this area in a couple weeks anyway.

I do have a question though. How car accessible is CH 82?>
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.