News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your annual mileage

Started by Chris, August 23, 2009, 05:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I was wondering how many miles roadgeeks drive per year.

For me, it's about 17,000 miles private and 10,000 for work, so 27,000 miles in total every year.

agentsteel53

I've driven about 452000 in my life.  My most productive year was 2006, with about 88000.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

In my first full year with a car I got up past 20,000.  On Monday my car goes in for its 30K service - got it last April 30.

Chris

QuoteMy most productive year was 2006, with about 88000.

:poke: you live behind the wheel?  :confused:

akotchi

I used to drive about 20,000 a year in my car.  Now I am down to about 15,000.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

agentsteel53

been known to happen, yes.  When I was in Norway I was on the ground for 134 hours and awake and driving for 126 of them.  I can eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom at home - that's not what vacation is for!

jake@aaroads.com

corco

I broke 20,000 for the first time in 2008, not including the 8,000 put on the Dodge Colt I used to have and the 2,000 or so put on the University of Puget Sound student rental van, so I was around 30K, a record I expect to exceed this year to the extent that money allows me to

J N Winkler

I don't have a car anymore, but back when I did, there were a number of years when I did around 30,000 miles annually.  I think my lifetime mileage (as driver) is around 200,000.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

xonhulu

SSOWorld

I would think about 12,000 - was much less before this year for sure
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DanTheMan414

I usually drive around 25,000 miles per year, and ride an additional 3,000 or so.

algorerhythms

I'm rather lazy in terms of driving... according to a top of my head calculation, I only drive about 1,000 miles per year.

froggie

I don't think anyone has Jake (agentsteel) beat...

Since 1998 (when I first started driving.....I was a "late bloomer"), I've averaged about 27K a year, which isn't too bad considering I've been deployed/out to sea a total of 3 years since then.  Factoring out sea time, my average jumps to about 36K a year.

Truvelo

I average about 70,000 per year as driving is my job which I've had for 9 years. Do the math :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

Crewdawg

Quote from: froggie on August 24, 2009, 06:45:41 AM
I don't think anyone has Jake (agentsteel) beat...

Since 1998 (when I first started driving.....I was a "late bloomer"), I've averaged about 27K a year, which isn't too bad considering I've been deployed/out to sea a total of 3 years since then.  Factoring out sea time, my average jumps to about 36K a year.

what base where you deployed at I haven't been sense  9/11 but have been to PSAB, Turkey, Bahrain twice and stationed in Korea twice.

agentsteel53

Truvelo's got me beat hands-down.

my secret, though, is not stopping.  Saves money on hotels, too.

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 24, 2009, 01:17:08 PM
Truvelo's got me beat hands-down.

my secret, though, is not stopping.  Saves money on hotels, too.
I sure hope you're not the only driver.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

yanksfan6129

In this, my first year of driving, I've personally driven probably about a total of 250-300 miles. Or something like that.

I expect that this number will gradually increase, but I don't expect that I will ever drive as much as my dad, even if I do super long road trips, because my dad drives 200 miles or more 5 out of 7 day per week, and sometimes on the weekends. He's driven well over a million miles in his lifetime.

deathtopumpkins

Since late December of 2008, so since I've been legally able to drive, I've driven around 6 or 7,000 miles. Most of that has just been running around this widely spread-out region, as the longest road trip I've driven on is about 250 miles round trip.

My car, however, has about 108,000 miles on it, and my family has had it since it was purchased new in May 2003, so it has been driven an average of approximately 19,000 miles per year.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

florida

Have had my car for 8 years, it was used with 44,445 on it....now about 185,000

17,569.375/year.
So many roads...so little time.

Chris

Do Americans get a higher mileage on their cars?

I mean, in the Netherlands, most people throw their cars out after 120,000 miles. Gasoline-powered cars rarely have more than 160,000 miles, most of them are long on the junkyard by that time. Diesel-powered cars can get up to 190,000 miles before you get into major repair/maintenance costs where you have to replace almost everything.

Truvelo

My last car, a 4 cylinder 1.6 liter gasoline Astra, did 270,000 miles when I got rid of it. I had it from new with just 13 miles on the clock. Modern cars are capable of huge mileages if they are well maintained. I don't know the situation in the States but over here used car buyers are put off by six figure mileages and many sellers list their mileage as 99,000 in adverts to make it look better.
Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

My last car had 170,000 and change on it when I dropped it off at the dealer.

Cars in the US usually get pushed beyond their limit.  Older cars are usually purchased by kids as their first cars.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

J N Winkler

It depends on the car model and how the specific car is maintained.  The rule of thumb around 1985, according to a Reader's Digest generic car repair manual which I studied closely to get an idea of how new engine control technologies were supposed to work, was that a car could be expected to last 10 years/10,000 miles with ordinary maintenance but 20 years/20,000 miles if it were "overmaintained" (i.e., service intervals were halved).

My last car was a 1986 Nissan Maxima, handed down when it was 10 years/62,000 miles old, and disposed of (by donation) when it was 21 years/227,000 miles old.  In this model the engine lasts virtually forever as long as the oil is changed (Mobil 1, new oil and filter every 3,000 miles in my case) and the timing belt is replaced every 60,000 miles.  It is, however, rare for the automatic transmission to live to 200,000 miles without a full rebuild.  Mine never needed a rebuild or even repair because I ignored the factory settings in fixing the shift points, and also used an undocumented drain-and-fill procedure to change out the fluid every 15,000 miles.  (In theory the transmission fluid needed no changing and the transmission would have acceptable life at the factory shift settings, but in practice neither was true.)

On the other hand, I have a high tolerance for ugly cars and it has gotten higher as I have gotten older.  The Maxima looked pretty terrible when I finally got rid of it--peeling paint and noticeable discoloration of the upholstery in the driver's seat.  (I drove Arizona I-8 during the day in September 2002, using ice water in a thermos rather than the air-conditioning to stay cool.  The sweat lifted the dye in the shirt I was wearing and leached a lot of the color out of the seat.  I don't recommend this kind of driving without old clothes and a towel over the seats.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on August 25, 2009, 04:37:36 AM
Do Americans get a higher mileage on their cars?

I mean, in the Netherlands, most people throw their cars out after 120,000 miles. Gasoline-powered cars rarely have more than 160,000 miles, most of them are long on the junkyard by that time. Diesel-powered cars can get up to 190,000 miles before you get into major repair/maintenance costs where you have to replace almost everything.

I bought a 1994 Saturn SL1 in October of 1993 and when I wrecked it in May of 2006, it had 275,000 miles on it.  I sold it to a neighbor and it may still be on the road today!

I own a station wagon with 230K miles on it and the only major problem that needs to be fixed is the transmission fluid line.  My van has over 180K on it.

As for driving, I do about 20-25K per year.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.