News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anything planned for July?

Started by hbelkins, June 02, 2012, 11:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Trying to do some planning. Are there any road meets in the works for July? I know there are at least two planned for August, neither of which I will be able to attend. If there are none being considered for next month, I may plan a county-collecting trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Quote from: hbelkins on June 02, 2012, 11:37:44 PM
Trying to do some planning. Are there any road meets in the works for July? I know there are at least two planned for August, neither of which I will be able to attend. If there are none being considered for next month, I may plan a county-collecting trip.

Have you ever been in Wisconsin?  If not and you can make said trip in the early part of the minth, I can give you an all-day personal 'guided tour' of the eastern part of the state, including some otherwise obscure Wisconsin counties.

:nod:

Mike

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2012, 12:57:01 AM
Have you ever been in Wisconsin?  If not and you can make said trip in the early part of the minth, I can give you an all-day personal 'guided tour' of the eastern part of the state, including some otherwise obscure Wisconsin counties.

:nod:

Mike

I've been in Wisconsin once. The trip I was thinking about would involve North Carolina and a few counties in South Carolina, however.

yanksfan6129

Is there going to be an Ottawa road meet in July? Or is that just not going to happen this summer?

AsphaltPlanet

What about a Toronto meet?  I could pit one of those together for July if there was interest.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Roadgeek Adam

I am interested in Ottawa For July, the only minor peeve is that I am not free on the 7th or 14th.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

AsphaltPlanet

^ I am suggesting Toronto in lieu of Ottawa. Despite the interest there doesn't seem to be anyone who is willing to stickhandle organizing it (myself included).  I would be willing to organize one in Toronto though.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Duke87

Doug and Carl (Dr Frankenstein) were supposed to co-handle organizing Ottawa.

Regardless, I can't make it if it's in July. I do have a couple weekends potentially free but Ottawa is far enough away to require taking friday off - and I'm already taking a lot of vacation days in close proximity in June/July. I can't take any more until August.

I would love to go if it happens, though. It's been on my radar for a while.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on June 05, 2012, 10:43:32 PM
Doug and Carl (Dr Frankenstein) were supposed to co-handle organizing Ottawa.

Regardless, I can't make it if it's in July. I do have a couple weekends potentially free but Ottawa is far enough away to require taking friday off - and I'm already taking a lot of vacation days in close proximity in June/July. I can't take any more until August.

I would love to go if it happens, though. It's been on my radar for a while.
Bzzt - I was going to have organized it, not Doug, but I don't have the days to get up that way.

Dr Frankenstein

Sorry about all that, I was just too busy to get into organizing the Ottawa meet until now. I've scouted, and right now I'm working on planning a route for the meet.

Date-wise, anything is possible really. I suggest we discuss one in a separate thread.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 05, 2012, 12:31:19 PM
What about a Toronto meet?  I could pit one of those together for July if there was interest.

Ooh ... I am in obsessed with the city of Toronto and would love to the opportunity to attend a Toronto road meet one day. Unfortunately, my summer is already jam-packed and I don't see any way of squeezing in another road meet. :-(
-A.J. from Michigan

CanesFan27

Alps

It looks like the weekend of July 28th is when I'll finally be making my way out to Cairo, Paducah, and the two US 68 bridges... POSSIBLY the 7th, though. We're going to tentatively eat and stay along US 60 west of downtown Paducah on that Saturday, if anyone wanted to join us for the BBQ. (We'll be doing a loop from Paducah to Cairo and back in the late afternoon, leaving somewhere in the 5:30 to 6:00 range, if anyone wanted to get in on that too.)

yanksfan6129

I would be interested in a Toronto meet if one were to arise.

AsphaltPlanet

I live in Toronto, so I could put a Toronto meet together pretty quickly.  I don't know if there would be a ton of interest from AAroads given the upcoming Ottawa meet.  But if there is interest, and if consensus can be established on a date, I would happily set up a meet.

Toronto is an awesome city from a roadgeeks perspective.  (Obviously) there is substantial mileage of very wide freeway, an electronic tollway, and a couple of fairly substantial expansion projects ongoing surrounding the city.

jpi

Steve- I would like to meet up with you guys but if it is the last weekend in July, I will be in Monroeville, PA for Steel City Con and the next weekend I will be in central KY doing the highway 127 yard sale, who knows maybe our paths may cross at some point that week.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 15, 2012, 11:52:24 AM
I live in Toronto, so I could put a Toronto meet together pretty quickly.  I don't know if there would be a ton of interest from AAroads given the upcoming Ottawa meet.  But if there is interest, and if consensus can be established on a date, I would happily set up a meet.

Toronto is an awesome city from a roadgeeks perspective.  (Obviously) there is substantial mileage of very wide freeway, an electronic tollway, and a couple of fairly substantial expansion projects ongoing surrounding the city.
Interesting question.  On the one hand, it would be a good chance to clinch ON 401 between the Toronto Zoo and ON 15.  On the other, Toronto is nearly five hours away, so I'd have to stay overnight or a long weekend, and my availability in July is limited anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: jpi on June 15, 2012, 01:06:20 PM
Steve- I would like to meet up with you guys but if it is the last weekend in July, I will be in Monroeville, PA for Steel City Con and the next weekend I will be in central KY doing the highway 127 yard sale, who knows maybe our paths may cross at some point that week.
I'm pushing for the 7th. Stay tuned.

bugo

Why would anybody plan a roadmeet in July?  It's way too fucking hot, unless you're in Alaska or northern Minnesota or North Dakota.  I like the idea of late fall to early spring meets, especially down south where it doesn't snow much.  The Tulsa meet was in February, and it was a nice day to drive around and look at things.  And not to mention, winter is the best time to go bridgehunting because the foliage doesn't hide the bridges and the snakes are hibernating.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2012, 06:55:49 PM
Why would anybody plan a roadmeet in July?  It's way too fucking hot, unless you're in Alaska or northern Minnesota or North Dakota.  I like the idea of late fall to early spring meets, especially down south where it doesn't snow much.  The Tulsa meet was in February, and it was a nice day to drive around and look at things.  And not to mention, winter is the best time to go bridgehunting because the foliage doesn't hide the bridges and the snakes are hibernating.

I hate the heat -- and snakes -- as badly as you do. I've been to meets in May where I roasted, and I've been to meets in June and July that were not too terribly bad.

I was asking because lately, I tend to plan my trips around meets. I've had to miss a lot of meets and thus not go on a lot of trips the last couple of years, so I figure if there are no meets in July I can plan a county-collecting trip.

AsphaltPlanet

Perhaps in Tulsa, but not in Canada.  But whatever. The difficulty in planning meets in Canada on aaroads is that all of the memebers are Americans and you are planning something for a bunch of non locals. Ontario, for exame, has a pretty active roadgeek community, but they use other forums

hbelkins

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 15, 2012, 11:18:57 PM
Perhaps in Tulsa, but not in Canada.  But whatever. The difficulty in planning meets in Canada on aaroads is that all of the memebers are Americans and you are planning something for a bunch of non locals. Ontario, for exame, has a pretty active roadgeek community, but they use other forums

That's why you use multiple forums to advertise the meet and collect the responses by email.

Next meet I plan, it will be promoted here, on m.t.r., on "Roadgeek" and any applicable regional Yahoo group, and on Facebook. RSVPs will be to a specific email address I have set up to receive them.

I think a number of meets have had limited attendance because they were only promoted one place  -- typically either here or on Facebook. I've gone to (or planned to but ended up not being able to go to) meets that were only promoted by a FB event, and some that were only announced here. If I didn't have a presence in both places, I may not have known about them.

And if you're not Facebook friends with someone who plans a meet, announces it only on FB and sends out invitations to the event, you're out in the cold. I recently found out that someone who lives in the state east of me, with whom I've interacted on various forums without incident over the years, dropped me as a FB friend for reasons unknown (but I suspect is because I respect and admire Tim Tebow for his faith and said so publicly.) If he sets up the event and invites his friends, how do I learn of it?

Alps

Speaking of July meets, I'll be grabbing poutine in Magog around 12 PM on Sunday, July 1. I just figured this out in the last 2 hours. Come and join me.

AsphaltPlanet

I suppose the point of advertising a meet on this board would be to try and show something new to a different audience. As I mentioned before, Ontario has a fairly active roadgeek community and there have been several meets in the Toronto area over the years. I am not as interested in having a meet where nearly everything is already charted territory for most of the membership than I am for introducing some brand new things to those who may be unfamiliar.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.