News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Suburbs that have their own street grid, the main city's grid, or a mix of both

Started by KCRoadFan, May 12, 2021, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwf1701

Living in Macomb County MI, all of Macomb County with the exception of Mt. Clemems, both north-south and east-west followed the Detroit grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_and_freeways_in_metropolitan_Detroit#Addresses

thspfc

None of the Madison suburbs have a street grid at all. Mount Horeb does but it's more of an exburb.

Roadgeekteen

I don't think that any of the Boston suburbs have a grid. Boston barely has a grid.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

DandyDan

I didn't mention Cass County, Nebraska before. Between US 75 and NE 50, its grid is a southern extension of Omaha's grid. West of NE 50, though, it's an eastern extension of Lincoln's grid, with the east-west roads also extensions of Lincoln's grid (or perhaps Lancaster County).
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Crown Victoria

Broward County, Florida has three main grids, based from Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, and Pompano Beach, as well as three smaller grids for Hallandale Beach, Dania, and Deerfield Beach.

Miami-Dade County has a countywide grid, except for Hialeah, Homestead, and Florida City.

WillWeaverRVA

Henrico County and Chesterfield County continue the street grids found in Richmond, at least along major arterials. Henrico seems to do this more completely than Chesterfield - the block numbering of Parham Road changes twice: where North Parham Road becomes East Parham Road at US 250 (3400 North to 7800 East), and along East Parham Road at Hungary Spring Road when the road transitions from the West End street grid to the Northside street grid (7600 East to 4300 East).

The north Richmond grid actually extends into eastern Goochland County, ending just west of VA 288. The block numbering along Broad Street Road (US 250) resets from 12900 to 00 at the western intersection with SR 623. Hull Street Road (US 360) reaches 22500 - the 00 block is all the way up at the James River in downtown Richmond.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 09:10:40 PM
I don't think that any of the Boston suburbs have a grid. Boston barely has a grid.
It has a bit of a grid in the Back Bay, but that's about it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

andrepoiy

In Toronto's case, the grid in the northern suburbs was already delineated by surveyors back in the day, and thus even the small towns that became suburbs were generally on the grid.

Within Toronto proper, Scarborough and Etobicoke had a different grid compared to Old Toronto (800 m x 2km as opposed to 2km x 2km), however, all the suburbs north of them follows Old Toronto's grid (2 km x 2 km).

In Mississauga and Brampton, they had a different grid to Toronto's because the shoreline changes direction - the surveyors also used different grid sizes for Mississauga and Brampton.

The eastern suburbs of Toronto (Ajax, Pickering) don't seem to have a grid really.

frankenroad

Most of Cincinnati's Hamilton County suburbs use the city's grid, which I think of as the city & county grid.  Some towns on the edge of the county use their own (Milford, Loveland, Terrace Park, Harrison, Cleves, and I think Addyson).

Two suburbs use Cincinnati's east-west grid, but have their own N-S numbering system (Wyoming and Glendale).   This works because they straddle the county E-W divider

Reading, Lockland, and Arlington Heights all have their own grids, except Reading Road through Reading uses the county numbering system.   This change was made in the 1970s, mostly to avoid confusion with similarly numbered sections of Reading Road near downtown Cincinnati.

Suburbs in adjacent counties (in all 3 states) use their own county's system.  In both Butler and Warren counties, the county seat is fairly centrally located and the numbering system fans out from them.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

ftballfan

Quote from: GaryV on May 13, 2021, 09:43:11 AM
Grand Rapids has 2 different street grids in the downtown area of the city.  Some of it has been straightened out over the years.  But there are still streets at about a 45 degree angle in the area between Pearl and Fulton.  As I understand it, there was a rivalry between the founders of 2 settlements that eventually became Grand Rapids, and they deliberately laid out their streets to not match up.

As far as address numbers, both areas follow the same system.

Most of Kent County, including all of GR's inner-ring suburbs, follows the numbering grid of Grand Rapids, which is based on a zero point of Fulton Ave and Division St. Among outer communities, Caledonia, Cedar Springs, Kent City, Lowell, Rockford, Sand Lake, and Sparta use their own grids inside their city or village limits.

GaryV

Many cities in Oakland Co, MI, use their own grid systems.

But Woodward Ave uses the Detroit system through those suburbs.

mapman1071

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2021, 11:26:24 PM
Phoenix and Mesa.
Mesa has 2 grids but only one set of block #'s west of Gilbert Road # Streets and Avenues are East/West and East of Gilbert Road # Streets (No Avenues) run North/South

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.