News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which Non-Interstate Corridors are in worst need of upgrades?

Started by webny99, May 14, 2021, 07:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I was originally going to ask which non-interstate corridor in each state is in the worst need of upgrades, but decided we didn't need to be that specific, since some states may have several and others none at all.

For this thread, I'm defining a corridor as any of the following:
(1) A single route number, in entirety or with endpoints
(2) "City X to City Y" using one or multiple routes
(3) "City X to Route Y" using one or multiple routes

hotdogPi

2dis:
US 287 between DFW and Amarillo
Austin-Houston
US 29 in Virginia

3dis:
US 380 in northern DFW suburbs
Atlanta outer beltway, northern segment
Spurs to Tallahassee, Gainesville, North Port/Port Charlotte, Cape Coral
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

US 19 from St. Petersburg north to Crystal River in Florida.  Some segments are now forced limited access but trying to commute on they highway is a total nightmare.

Rothman

US 11 and Circle Dr from NY 481 to Chick-fil-A in Cicero, NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jmacswimmer

Low-hanging fruit: US 50/301 over a certain 4-mile-long twin-span bridge...

US 15 from the Point of Rocks Bridge to US 340 (aka the 2-lane segment) would be another good candidate.

Would also mention MD 32, but construction is now underway to extend the 4-lane segment to I-70!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SkyPesos

For Ohio, not sure if there is one that's in "worst need"  compared to some others mentioned in the thread. My main one would be US 36 between I-71 and US 23, but a new bypass to the east of downtown Delaware would be needed, and I think that's beyond the point of this thread. So then maybe US 23 at South Bloomfield and Circleville, though a South Bloomfield bypass is currently in planning.

Flint1979

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 14, 2021, 09:34:21 AM
US 15 from the Point of Rocks Bridge to US 340 (aka the 2-lane segment) would be another good candidate.

This is not a good use of resources unless Virginia has similar plans for U.S. 15 south of the Potomac River.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

nexus73

US 101 on the Oregon Coast has a need for plenty of upgrades all along its length. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

TEG24601

Quote from: nexus73 on May 14, 2021, 10:33:04 AM
US 101 on the Oregon Coast has a need for plenty of upgrades all along its length. 

Rick

Add OR 18 to that list.  It is overly traveled for its size.

US 101 from Shelton to Sequim would also be a candidate, as the road is not built for the traffic that uses it.

US 2 from Snohomish to Leavenworth - needs a few extra passing lanes, and some curves buffed out.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on May 14, 2021, 08:04:39 AM
2dis:

Austin-Houston

Disagree.  We take 71 frequently and while I'd love a freeway there (much like 290 out to I-10 on the west side) the existing road easy handles the traffic (probably due in part to having 2 expressways headed there)

JayhawkCO

There aren't a ton of candidates in Colorado off the top of my brain.  It wouldn't hurt to upgrade CO83 between I-225 and the Springs to have an overflow route opposite I-25.  Also it suffers less in the winter as compared to Momument Hill.

I also wouldn't hate it if US285 could somehow become completely limited access between I-25 and Sheridan.

Chris

OCGuy81

OR-99W from Portland to McMinnville.  While the Dundee bypass has helped a bit with bottlenecks, the road itself is still in pretty awful shape.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 14, 2021, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 14, 2021, 09:34:21 AM

This is not a good use of resources unless Virginia has similar plans for U.S. 15 south of the Potomac River.

I was just focusing on MD in that post, but agreed...widening US 15 only to the VA line would just create a new bottleneck (not unlike what currently happens northbound where the Leesburg Bypass narrows to 2 lanes...)

Regardless, I'm not sure whether VDOT or MDOT SHA have any actual plans for this corridor...I imagine the Point of Rocks Bridge would be a point of contention (not unlike the Legion Bridge downstream).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 14, 2021, 10:53:03 AM
There aren't a ton of candidates in Colorado off the top of my brain.  It wouldn't hurt to upgrade CO83 between I-225 and the Springs to have an overflow route opposite I-25.  Also it suffers less in the winter as compared to Momument Hill.

I also wouldn't hate it if US285 could somehow become completely limited access between I-25 and Sheridan.

I for one would appreciate seeing US 85/Santa Fe Drive as a freeway between I-25 and 470, but like the east end of 285 that seems rather unlikely to ever happen.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sprjus4

Quote from: 1 on May 14, 2021, 08:04:39 AM
US 287 between DFW and Amarillo
Austin-Houston
While ideally both of these corridors should be upgraded to interstate standards, I'd argue something like US-281 between San Antonio and Wichita Falls which is largely an undivided 2 lane road and then the occasional 4 lane portion, carrying large amounts of traffic including trucks with long, limited passing opportunities, is far more worthy to upgrade.

At least those corridors are 4 lane divided highway with largely town bypasses and a 75 mph uniform speed limit with limited to no interruptions (signals).

Here's another one I haven't seen mentioned - US-287 between I-45 and Fort Worth.

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 14, 2021, 09:51:13 AM
For Ohio, not sure if there is one that's in "worst need"  compared to some others mentioned in the thread. My main one would be US 36 between I-71 and US 23, but a new bypass to the east of downtown Delaware would be needed, and I think that's beyond the point of this thread. So then maybe US 23 at South Bloomfield and Circleville, though a South Bloomfield bypass is currently in planning.

What about US 23 between I-270 and Delaware? Unless you were assuming I-71 > US 36 as the preferred route from Columbus.

sprjus4

Virginia... being more realistic as opposed to the fictional highways concept of upgrade the whole corridor to interstate standards (ideal, but never will happen)...

US-29 between I-66 and Gainesville; US-29 between Charlottesville and Ruckersville
US-58 between Suffolk Bypass and Franklin
US-17 between I-664 and I-64 (via James River Bridge); US-17 between Gloucester and Newport News (via Coleman Bridge)
VA-168 between the bottom end of the toll road and the North Carolina line.
VA-3 / US-17 west of I-95 until out of the Fredericksburg area
VA-234 and VA-286 between I-95 and I-66

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on May 14, 2021, 12:38:06 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 14, 2021, 09:51:13 AM

What about US 23 between I-270 and Delaware? Unless you were assuming I-71 > US 36 as the preferred route from Columbus.
Yes I'm assuming that I-71/US 36 is the preferred route. US 23 between I-270 and Delaware is so developed that carrying out any upgrade is near impossible at this point, so any upgrade on the Columbus-Toledo corridor now have to be between I-71 and US 23.

sparker

California's "Captain Obvious" corridors:  CA 58 over the Tehachapis, CA 99 in Tulare County, and CA 152 in both the Los Banos and Gilroy areas.  Also: finishing CA 14 north as a freeway to CA 58 (a couple of miles), and US 395 from I-15 to CA 58; that composite corridor serves as an effective L.A. commercial bypass that could stand relief of the suburban slog through west Victorville and Adelanto. 

Up in OR, the OR 18 corridor from PDX metro out to the coast at Lincoln City has already been mentioned; I heartily concur there -- but I'd also suggest US 97 in it entirety -- add passing lanes for trucks, a few more divided expressway segments, and a number of other spot improvements such as finishing the RR grade separation at La Pine.  A real freeway through Bend from the Sunriver area north to past Madras (i.e., the populated area along the corridor) would be nice -- but this is OR, so the prospects for such aren't great. 

In NV, an expressway extension along US 395 south of Carson City through Gardnerville and Minden would likely be welcomed by the residents who have to deal with through commercial traffic on a facility that, while gradually improved over the last couple of decades, really needs to be bypassed for at least safety's sake. 

And there's a couple of things in WA, particularly east of the Cascades, that could stand some attention:  US 97 in the Yakima Valley would certainly benefit from a direct expressway connection through Toppenish to I-82, and US 2 from the Spokane area west to Wenatchee could use some expressway sections or at least a lot more passing lanes (I have friends in the Davenport area, and they dread having to use that facility). 

Given time, I could probably come up with a lot more -- but these stand out in particular. 

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 14, 2021, 11:55:42 AM
Indiana: US 30 Warsaw to Columbia City
Go Big or Go Home!

US 30: Mansfield, OH to New Lenox, IL

I think Illinois's would have to be US 20 between the Mississippi River and Rockford. Maybe.

bing101

CA-37 should be full freeway but it's not going to happen due to environmental concerns. Close the CA-84 gap by making Vasco Road signed as CA-84.Make CA-51 meet interstate standards.

TheHighwayMan3561

In MN, it's US 12 from Orono to Litchfield. US 14 and MN 23 are both programmed to be dealt with, but 12 is likely going to stay how it is for decades to come.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Massachusetts huh... not sure, I'd have to guess MA 2 between Acton and Lexington, maybe the bridges to Cape Cod if they count.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.