News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Worst Posted US Route

Started by Avalanchez71, May 21, 2021, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

US 11 in Syracuse is a strange one.  It does have signage, but has some horrible omissions, such as at Salina and Wolf.  Coming south, you hit that t-intersection -- which way do you go? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 22, 2021, 11:11:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 22, 2021, 07:23:49 PM
Not saying this qualifies it for the worst, but I was in Columbus last weekend and on WB US 40 there was no sign directing me to turn right from Main onto Drexel.
Probably it got knocked down and haven't been replaced yet. There is one from a quick GSV check.

That's Drexel and Broad. That sign was still there. I'm talking about Drexel and Main.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SkyPesos

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 24, 2021, 07:51:28 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 22, 2021, 11:11:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 22, 2021, 07:23:49 PM
Not saying this qualifies it for the worst, but I was in Columbus last weekend and on WB US 40 there was no sign directing me to turn right from Main onto Drexel.
Probably it got knocked down and haven't been replaced yet. There is one from a quick GSV check.

That's Drexel and Broad. That sign was still there. I'm talking about Drexel and Main.
I saw this sign coming of Drexel onto Main. It has US 40 pointing in both directions, which is incorrect. Might explain for the lack of a sign for the WB direction.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 23, 2021, 09:07:53 AM
Some other examples not yet mentioned...

US 1 Baltimore, Petersburg VA
US 13 Philadelphia
US 52-78 Charleston
US 9 NYC
US 11 Syracuse
US 460 ALT Norfolk
US 33-250 Richmond
US 17 Bus Fredericksburg
US 58-58 Bus-60 Virginia Beach
Omg I clinched US 13 in PA but I did miss a few turns and have to turn around and hit them.  So yes, US 13 in Philadelphia.

I guess PennDOT is looking to move US 13 in Chester (which wasn't well signed either as I recall) so I'll have to go back.

None of this as bad as DC, as others alluded to.

achilles765

So this bothers me:
Here in Houston US 90 is concurrent with IH and from the East Loop to Pin Oak Road in Katy. Yet there are no signs for it anywhere. You would think it just disappeared or became US 90 Alternate.
Now technically, the frontage roads, Old Katy Road are supposed to officially be US 90 but there are no signs anywhere.
The reason this annoys me is because interstates and US highways are co-signed constantly in other cities. San Antonio signs IH 35/ US 281, and at one point there is a sign listing IH 10/US 90/ US 87. Even in Houston IH 69 is still signed alongside US 59
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

OCGuy81

Quote from: achilles765 on May 25, 2021, 03:52:33 PM
So this bothers me:
Here in Houston US 90 is concurrent with IH and from the East Loop to Pin Oak Road in Katy. Yet there are no signs for it anywhere. You would think it just disappeared or became US 90 Alternate.
Now technically, the frontage roads, Old Katy Road are supposed to officially be US 90 but there are no signs anywhere.
The reason this annoys me is because interstates and US highways are co-signed constantly in other cities. San Antonio signs IH 35/ US 281, and at one point there is a sign listing IH 10/US 90/ US 87. Even in Houston IH 69 is still signed alongside US 59

I noticed that as well when I was in Houston.  There's no mention of US-90 on the mainlanes, the frontage roads, or on BGS when other freeways run into the Katy Freeway.

I wasn't aware the frontage roads were technically US 90.  Is this done elsewhere in Texas where the frontage road is one part of a concurrency, and the mainlanes are the other?

How is the signage of US-90 west of Katy until San Antonio?  I know 90 runs into 10 quite a few times.  Is that concurrency well signed? It's been years since I've driven that stretch.

Bickendan

US 66
US 99
:bigass:

US 30, along I-405 and I-5, and the Waterfall section of the Gorge. Signage implies it follows 30H on the Historic Highway; while inaccurate, suffices.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bickendan on May 25, 2021, 06:43:30 PM
US 66
US 99
:bigass:

US 30, along I-405 and I-5, and the Waterfall section of the Gorge. Signage implies it follows 30H on the Historic Highway; while inaccurate, suffices.

Interestingly there are some former segments of US 66 that are signed better than active US Routes.  Some with historic signage but then you get others like San Bernardino County Route 66 which have reassurance shields everywhere.   

achilles765

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 25, 2021, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: achilles765 on May 25, 2021, 03:52:33 PM
So this bothers me:

I noticed that as well when I was in Houston.  There's no mention of US-90 on the mainlanes, the frontage roads, or on BGS when other freeways run into the Katy Freeway.

I wasn't aware the frontage roads were technically US 90.  Is this done elsewhere in Texas where the frontage road is one part of a concurrency, and the mainlanes are the other?

How is the signage of US-90 west of Katy until San Antonio?  I know 90 runs into 10 quite a few times.  Is that concurrency well signed? It's been years since I've driven that stretch.

Yes. It is much more commonly signed west of Katy. Every time they multiplex, both are signed. It even continues to where 90 splits off from I 10 in San Antonio.
The only other time I can think of the main lines and the frontage being different routes is that that technically the tollways are classified as " x tollway"  while the frontage roar is a numbered route. Like beltway 8 is the frontage road but the mainline is the sam Houston tollway. Or the west park tollway using FM 1093 in Katy.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.