Incredible examples of "This is all one road."

Started by TheGrassGuy, June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 03:37:38 PM
Haven't worked out the rules for traffic circles yet
In my opinion, if there is a traffic circle the challenge ends there as you have to turn to continue.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Agent Anal Toe on June 09, 2021, 03:39:32 PM
In my opinion, if there is a traffic circle the challenge ends there as you have to turn to continue.

So a roundabout is basically a group of glorified T-intersections?  Yeah, I can get behind that.  Because that's basically what they are.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2021, 03:43:09 PM
Quote from: Agent Anal Toe on June 09, 2021, 03:39:32 PM

So a roundabout is basically a group of glorified T-intersections?  Yeah, I can get behind that.  Because that's basically what they are.
They are. But keep the agent anal toe thing in the Alanland thread.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Bickendan

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2021, 05:55:56 PM
Why wouldn't this count?

https://goo.gl/maps/nQV254ccA1cANSsS7
The western I-40/65 interchange in Nashville is dubious -- I-40 eastbound exits the mainline.

Bickendan

Here's one, that is mostly limited access:
Start on White Sage Rd, to the east of the eastern CA 23/118 interchange. White Sage Rd becomes Los Angeles Ave (CA 118). When 118 leaves the road, it becomes Santa Clara Ave until US 101, where it becomes Rice Ave and CA 1. That'll transition to the PCH proper at Oxnard, which will become the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10). Mainline ramps at the East LA Interchange causes it to become the Golden State Freeway (I-5, later CA 99). That continues into Sacramento and becomes Biz 80, and it all ends at the merge to I-80 proper.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2021, 05:55:56 PM
Why wouldn't this count?

https://goo.gl/maps/nQV254ccA1cANSsS7
Quote from: Bickendan on June 09, 2021, 06:34:38 PM
The western I-40/65 interchange in Nashville is dubious -- I-40 eastbound exits the mainline.

Cool.  This works going northbound on I-81, but the southbound end of I-81 is technically an onramp to I-40 (albeit one that the left lane of I-81 continues on I-40).  In the old days, it might have counted since both I-81 and I-40 were restricted to one lane prior to the merge.  I've actually done this route from Knoxville to Newark in a single trip.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Bickendan on June 09, 2021, 06:40:19 PM
Start on White Sage Rd, to the east of the eastern CA 23/118 interchange. White Sage Rd becomes Los Angeles Ave (CA 118). When 118 leaves the road, it becomes Santa Clara Ave until US 101, where it becomes Rice Ave and CA 1. That'll transition to the PCH proper at Oxnard, which will become the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10). Mainline ramps at the East LA Interchange causes it to become the Golden State Freeway (I-5, later CA 99). That continues into Sacramento and becomes Biz 80, and it all ends at the merge to I-80 proper.
Does the 5/580 split count as an exit? I-5 is marked as ramps on Google Maps, but the split is evenly 2/2 lanes. And let's stop doing this for limited access highways, shall we?

QuoteMost limited access highways don't either.

This is more for suburban or local routes. Try to stay shy of US routes or long stretches of rural roadway. IDK.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2021, 12:57:10 PM
Van Dyke Ave in Detroit at Jefferson --> M-53 Freeway --> Van Dyke Rd north of 34 Mile Rd --> Bad Axe MI (where it makes a left turn to continue toward Port Austin at the tip of the Thumb).  About 110-115 miles.

Note that before the M-53 freeway was built, you followed Van Dyke Ave/Rd for the entire length.  (You still can follow Van Dyke, but it requires turns off and back onto M-53, plus going through a roundabout.)
Visualized for your convenience.

Quote from: cbeach40 on June 09, 2021, 03:15:50 PM
Local street in Toronto becomes Hwy 400, continues onto Hwy 11 then Hwy 17, goes through the heart of Sudbury and goes up to Timmins on Hwy 144.

730 km with no turns

Wow.

TheGrassGuy

Thought I found an 88 mile long one involving PA 940, PA 296, PA 196, PA 670, PA 171, and a bunch of quadrant routes, but there are slight turns.

Found a funny one in North Jersey.

skluth

Duluth, MN to Sault Ste Marie, ON ≈ 1000 km or 621 miles
Starting at North 10th Avenue East @ East 11th Street in Duluth via London Road, MN 61, ON 61, ON 17, Great Northern Road, Pim St, Church St on St Mary's River in Sault Ste Marie. Only curves, no turns. Ignore the temporary detour on this route around Grand Marais, MN for construction on MN 61.

Dirt Roads

H. B. Elkins' example of I-40//I-81//I-78 reminds me of the old one-lane arrangement of I-95 in downtown Jacksonville.  Back then, it was "all one road" from the 14th Street Bridge on I-395 in Washington D.C. to I-95 in Jacksonville to I-10 to Slidell, Louisiana and who knows how far beyond. 

Bickendan

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 07:25:58 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on June 09, 2021, 06:40:19 PM
Does the 5/580 split count as an exit? I-5 is marked as ramps on Google Maps, but the split is evenly 2/2 lanes. And let's stop doing this for limited access highways, shall we?
Mainline would be I-5 -> 580. That would make
a continuous road from CA 99 to at least I-238, but that would be 100% limited access.
I-5 starting at 580 will get you to at least to US 26/OR 6, and depending how you define Tillamook Junction, out to Tillamook or to US 101 near Cannon Beach.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: skluth on June 09, 2021, 07:43:58 PM
Duluth, MN to Sault Ste Marie, ON ≈ 1000 km or 621 miles
Starting at North 10th Avenue East @ East 11th Street in Duluth via London Road, MN 61, ON 61, ON 17, Great Northern Road, Pim St, Church St on St Mary's River in Sault Ste Marie. Only curves, no turns. Ignore the temporary detour on this route around Grand Marais, MN for construction on MN 61.
brb gonna page fritz for minor reconstruction in duluth to connect this one with the one the earlier i-35 one that began in piedras negras  :sombrero:

tdindy88

This one should count out of Indiana. Starting at Monument Circle in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis Meridian Street goes due north across the north half of the city and at I-465 becomes US 31. As either a freeway or an expressway US 31 continues straight with no turn-offs all the way to South Bend and then the road continues straight into South Bend as Michigan Street to Downtown South Bend. If going through roundabouts count the road continues straight across the rest of South Bend as Indiana 933 past the Michigan border and then as M-51 into Niles where the road finally breaks up to continue through the town. Indy to Niles is 150 miles, probably 15 or so less if you stopped it at South Bend.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 09, 2021, 07:52:57 PM
This one should count out of Indiana. Starting at Monument Circle in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis Meridian Street goes due north across the north half of the city and at I-465 becomes US 31. As either a freeway or an expressway US 31 continues straight with no turn-offs all the way to South Bend and then the road continues straight into South Bend as Michigan Street to Downtown South Bend. If going through roundabouts count the road continues straight across the rest of South Bend as Indiana 933 past the Michigan border and then as M-51 into Niles where the road finally breaks up to continue through the town. Indy to Niles is 150 miles, probably 15 or so less if you stopped it at South Bend.

Should've thought of Meridian Street myself... :no:

The other direction lasts 49 miles and takes over an hour.

Ned Weasel

Here's one that might count, depending on whether you want call some of the curves "turns" or "exits:"

Business US 20 in Sioux City, Iowa -> US 20 -> I-380 -> US 218 -> IA 27 -> US 61 -> I-64 -> I-55 all the way to its end at US 41 in Chicago.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CoreySamson

Here's one that is absolutely insane I just found:
It's 339 miles long, all surface roads.

It starts in extreme southwest Mississippi, then it uses MS 24 and 48 to get to US 98, which it takes all the way to downtown Hattiesburg, where it makes a U-turn and goes down US 11 which it takes down to MS 607 and onward to US 90 until the intersection at the eastern side of the Government Street tunnel in Mobile.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hobsini2

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 10, 2021, 05:56:24 PM

It starts in extreme southwest Mississippi, then it uses MS 24 and 48 to get to US 98, which it takes all the way to downtown Hattiesburg, where it makes a U-turn and goes down US 11 which it takes down to MS 607 and onward to US 90 until the intersection at the eastern side of the Government Street tunnel in Mobile.

I got a better example for one that involves Mississippi and is 444 miles long, no stop signs or stop lights, is not an expressway and has only 1 name. I give you the Natchez Trace Pkwy.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tdindy88

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 08:06:20 PM
Should've thought of Meridian Street myself... :no:

The other direction lasts 49 miles and takes over an hour.

There's a movement in that routing through Trafalgar that should disqualify that particular routing, having to turn off of SR 135 and then turn off of SR 252 to get to County Road 300 West. However, if one stays on SR 135 through Trafalgar and Morgantown the roadway continues as SR 252 all the way to Martinsville, clocking in at virtually the same distance and time.

https://goo.gl/maps/ApLRH2GQmWqHKVVJ9

Another one of the Indy area that I actually drove myself all in one setting: 96th Street outside of Fortville, to Fall Creek Parkway, to Emerson Avenue and to Smith Valley Road. One road from Fortville to Greenwood, 40 miles and one and a half hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/3t9GYNqQNiSTzku68

TheStranger

Trying to think of the longest non-limited-access example in California.

One that isn't super long but is long for the Bay Area is the following:

Girard Road in SF
Marina Boulevard
Laguna Street
Guerrero Street
San Jose Avenue (including the start of Route 82)
Mission Street/Route 82 in Daly City
El Camino Real/Route 82 from Colma to Santa Clara
The Alameda/Route 82 from Santa Clara to San Jose
Santa Clara Street
Alum Rock Avenue/Route 130

59.7819 miles.
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=875966

---

Here's one, northbound:

Business Route 14/former US 6 in Mojave (from Business Route 58/former US 466)
Route 14 past the Route 58 bypass to US 395
US 395 from Inyokern to US 50/US 395/I-580 in Carson City
Business US 395 north through Carson City to US 395/I-580
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=875967

Total of 342.8 miles.

Chris Sampang

GaryA

Here's a couple involving the San Jose area "expressways":

Start out on Saratoga-Los Gatos Rd (CA 9) westbound from Quito Rd (between Saratoga and Los Gatos).  When you reach Saratoga, this road becomes Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd (former CA 85) northbound.  This gets renamed De Anza Blvd and then Sunnyvale-Saratoga Rd, then takes a jog and becomes Mathilda Ave.  This turns and becomes Caribbean Dr (east, then southbound), which becomes Lawrence Expy southbound, which becomes Quito Rd.  Quito ends back at Saratoga-Los Gatos Rd, and the main traffic flow puts you eastbound on that -- exactly the opposite of where you started. This loop's about 27 miles.

Another starts at Landess Ave westbound from Piedmont.  Landess becomes Montague Expy, which becomes San Tomas Expy, which becomes Camden Ave.  Camden Ave then splits into Hillsdale Ave (east) and Camden (south), and if you take Hillsdale as the continuing road (it's the left split, more nearly straight, and has 3 lanes compared to Camden's 2), it eventually becomes Capitol Expy and finally San Antonio St towards downtown/SJSU.  This is just over 30 miles.

Evan_Th

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 10, 2021, 06:20:07 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on June 10, 2021, 05:56:24 PM

I got a better example for one that involves Mississippi and is 444 miles long, no stop signs or stop lights, is not an expressway and has only 1 name. I give you the Natchez Trace Pkwy.

Speaking of that, I give you an even longer example:  the Blue Ridge Parkway, and its continuation as Skyline Drive - 574 miles in all.

But I still think CoreySamson wins for sheer amazingness.

TheStranger

Another California-Nevada one I just discovered, though it does have a small portion that is freeway:

- starting at North Upper Truckee Boulevard and Lake Tahoe Boulevard in South Lake Tahoe
- continue along Lake Tahoe Boulevard into town as it becomes US 50
- continue US 50 eastward into Nevada and towards Carson City
- continue onto I-580 and stay on I-580/US 395 as US 50 exits off it
- continue on US 395 freeway through Reno past where 580 ends, and into California
- continue on US 395 north to Route 36 near Susanville
- continue on Route 36 west to Route 99 near Red Bluff.  (36 makes a turn here; where it continues west is former US 99E.)

251.3405 miles:
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=876005
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.