Incredible examples of "This is all one road."

Started by TheGrassGuy, June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

I have a competing view on the roundabout thing, in which I consider to continue on the route that would be straight through if the circle wasn't present. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get even close to 100 km (let alone 100 miles) here in Spain without using a freeway.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM
What are some extraordinary long routes you can take without turning, that involve lots of different roads?

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 10, 2021, 06:20:07 PM
I got a better example for one that involves Mississippi and is 444 miles long, no stop signs or stop lights, is not an expressway and has only 1 name. I give you the Natchez Trace Pkwy.

:pan:  Did not read the OP.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Evan_Th

Several more examples from Illinois -

60 miles upstate, on SR 26, US 52, and various unnumbered roads:  https://goo.gl/maps/8DxfnZXpNaY8KHNa7
85 miles upstate, mostly on SR 251 (the old US 51):  https://goo.gl/maps/8UoUv4iyMafPPpgG7
110 miles downstate, crossing the Indiana line in a C-shape:  https://goo.gl/maps/vDoApjvfGotzDGSu9
140 miles downstate through Decatur and Springfield, including some time on I-72:  https://goo.gl/maps/Kc9uJRxisxKX7wWx9
145 miles downstate, from Springfield, crossing into Missouri on US 54:  https://goo.gl/maps/vhyG5gMdWAExZVKw7

TheStranger

Something that I think could add even more spice to this topic:

What's the longest "this is all one road" example that does NOT include any numbered highway designations whatsoever?  (Or for a lesser level of this, a this-is-all-one-road that is not a state/US/Interstate, so that minor county roads can count too).  Roads that used to be on the state/US system count if they no longer hold any numerical designation.
Chris Sampang

kphoger

Quote from: TheStranger on June 11, 2021, 03:22:36 PM

What's the longest "this is all one road" example that does NOT include any numbered highway designations whatsoever?  (Or for a lesser level of this, a this-is-all-one-road that is not a state/US/Interstate, so that minor county roads can count too).  Roads that used to be on the state/US system count if they no longer hold any numerical designation.

Cue everyone to look at Iowa/Minnesota.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheStranger on June 11, 2021, 03:22:36 PM

Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive? Technically two roads! :-D

Also, found this one between Reading and Ringtown in Pennsylvania, featuring PA 61 and PA 924.

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Evan_Th

A couple more:

A 186-mile route in northwest Arkansas that loops back and crosses itself in Fayetteville.  - https://goo.gl/maps/hKD4h2kBcPb4AC5W6

Less exciting, but 201 miles on US 30 in Nebraska without turning - https://goo.gl/maps/rJzXb2wMRjkqd2H36 , and 272 miles on Nebraska SR 2 - https://goo.gl/maps/xTcFQ8t2kfA7ug8u8

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Evan_Th on June 11, 2021, 06:43:33 PM
A 186-mile route in northwest Arkansas that loops back and crosses itself in Fayetteville.  - https://goo.gl/maps/hKD4h2kBcPb4AC5W6

Reminds me of the famous one that crosses itself here in North Carolina.  I-40 from Exit 259 (I-85 split) to Raleigh Beltline to I-440 West (more Raleigh Beltline) to US-1 South to the Rockingham Road split in downtown Rockingham.  About 149 miles total, plus the first 93.5 miles are all freeway.

TBKS1

Longest case I can find over here (52 mi). There probably is a longer one but I didn't really look very hard. You guys can check this if you wanna verify it.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

sprjus4

Here's an interesting one in South Hampton Roads (Chesapeake / Virginia Beach / Norfolk)

Benefit Rd -> Johnstown Rd -> VA-165 Mt. Pleasant Rd -> VA-165 North Landing Rd -> VA-149 Princess Anne Rd -> General Booth Blvd -> US-60 Pacific Ave -> US-60 Shore Dr -> US-60 Ocean View Ave -> VA-168 Ocean View Ave

55 miles long, all surface routes.

pianocello

Here's one in the Orlando area. Starting at the end of Alafaya Trail a few miles south of UCF, following SR 434 through Oveido and Longwood, along John Young Pkwy to Kissimmee, which continues as US 17/92 all the way until it forces a turn in Haines City. 78.0 miles, around 2 hr 15 min.

There are definitely longer examples even in that area if you follow a straight line (the obvious ones are the freeways/tollways, plus SR 50, OBT, 17/92, and 192 are all pretty long), but I feel like it's more in the spirit of the thread to find a less well-known route that doubles back on itself.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: pianocello on June 12, 2021, 08:08:08 AM
Here's one in the Orlando area. Starting at the end of Alafaya Trail a few miles south of UCF, following SR 434 through Oveido and Longwood, along John Young Pkwy to Kissimmee, which continues as US 17/92 all the way until it forces a turn in Haines City. 78.0 miles, around 2 hr 15 min.

There are definitely longer examples even in that area if you follow a straight line (the obvious ones are the freeways/tollways, plus SR 50, OBT, 17/92, and 192 are all pretty long), but I feel like it's more in the spirit of the thread to find a less well-known route that doubles back on itself.
What does "TO US 441 OBT" mean? :confused:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Dirt Roads

Another one from the NHS Redux thread:

Branch Avenue SE starting at Randle Circle in Washington DC -to- MD-5 -to- US-301 -to- VA-207 -to- SR-658 Jericho Road ending near Lake Landor (development of Lake Land'Or) in Caroline County, Virginia.  About 97 miles.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 12, 2021, 12:16:36 PM
Another one from the NHS Redux thread:

Branch Avenue SE starting at Randle Circle in Washington DC -to- MD-5 -to- US-301 -to- VA-207 -to- SR-658 Jericho Road ending near Lake Landor (development of Lake Land'Or) in Caroline County, Virginia.  About 97 miles.

I-575 from Kennesaw, Georgia -to- GA-5/GA-515 Nelson -to- US-76 East Elijay -to- east end of Rickman Street in Clayton.  About 149 miles.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

adwerkema

US 89

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 12, 2021, 09:31:12 AM
Quote from: pianocello on June 12, 2021, 08:08:08 AM

What does "TO US 441 OBT" mean? :confused:

OBT is Orange Blossom Trail, which carries US 441 and a bunch of other highways through Orlando

thspfc

If we're including beltways, then highways like I-275 in the Cincinnati area and I-610 in the Houston area are infinite loops.

lepidopteran

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 01:20:29 PM
This one goes all the way from Pennsauken to Red Bank, using NJ 70 and NJ 35...
If that route went a little more to the south-southwest, you could have gone from Red Bank to Red Bank!  (There's an unincorporated entity by the same name in West Deptford, along the river.  Confused me the first time I spotted it on the BGS for Exit 22 on I-295.)

jay8g

Unsurprisingly, there aren't a ton of great examples in the Seattle area that I could find. My favorite so far is from West Seattle to Enumclaw (41 miles). Also, here's Eatonville to the Port of Tacoma (35 miles).

sparker

One I can think of in the Bay area:  CA 4 from I-80 at Hercules east to Brentwood, then segueing directly onto Vasco Road southbound, which eventually crosses I-580 and ends at Patterson Pass Road in SE Livermore.  Just a hair over 61 miles, with about 60% freeway and much of the rest either a 2-lane expressway or a multilane suburban arterial.

hobsini2

Quote from: Evan_Th on June 11, 2021, 02:16:04 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on June 10, 2021, 05:56:24 PM
Here's one that is absolutely insane I just found:
It's 339 miles long, all surface roads.

It starts in extreme southwest Mississippi, then it uses MS 24 and 48 to get to US 98, which it takes all the way to downtown Hattiesburg, where it makes a U-turn and goes down US 11 which it takes down to MS 607 and onward to US 90 until the intersection at the eastern side of the Government Street tunnel in Mobile.

I got a better example for one that involves Mississippi and is 444 miles long, no stop signs or stop lights, is not an expressway and has only 1 name. I give you the Natchez Trace Pkwy.

Speaking of that, I give you an even longer example:  the Blue Ridge Parkway, and its continuation as Skyline Drive - 574 miles in all.

But I still think CoreySamson wins for sheer amazingness.
Yeah. That "loop" in Hattiesburg surprises me.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2021, 01:19:43 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AM
What are some extraordinary long routes you can take without turning, that involve lots of different roads?

:pan:  Did not read the OP.
Oops
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: thspfc on June 12, 2021, 08:27:47 PM
If we're including beltways, then highways like I-275 in the Cincinnati area and I-610 in the Houston area are infinite loops.

They're not.  They just seem that way during rush hour.

crispy93

Would the Bronx River Parkway > Sprain > Taconic State Parkway in NY count? The BRP and TSP split off the freeway to become at-grade like the Saw Mill, but the Sprain seamlessly links them with a freeway connection. It's about 122 miles from the South Bronx to I-90.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.