News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Manitoba freeways?

Started by jwolfer, October 24, 2011, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

I was looking thru one of my road atlases the other night.  I have wondered about the divided highways in Manitoba.  None are freeways.  Winnepeg seems like it is big enough to warrant some freeway.  Are the divided highways around Winnepeg expressways with limited access or are they choked suburban arterials.  

I am sure once you are out of metro Winnepeg the divided highways work just fine

Michael in Philly

"Manitoba freeways"?  At first I thought I'd fallen into Fictional Highways.
:-)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

AsphaltPlanet

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Winnipeg is the largest city in North America without a freeway.  (Ignoring short sections of divided highway with two successive interchanges).
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

NE2

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 24, 2011, 05:15:37 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Winnipeg is the largest city in North America without a freeway.  (Ignoring short sections of divided highway with two successive interchanges).
Unless you count the Disraeli Freeway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Satellite imagery on Google Maps suggests evidence that MB 101 (the northern half of the Perimeter Hwy) is being upgraded.

texaskdog

What's with the stupid expressway around Winterpeg?  Having visited there it is of little use to anyone who lives there, or travels in from any which way unless youre trying to avoid it (even then it is way far out).  Not to mention some of the worst streets in the world.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

mp_quadrillion

I visited the Prairies last summer for about a week.

The TCH (TCH-1) through urban Winnipeg surprised me. The level of urbanisation and traffic seemed to rival parts of metro New York, and often the right-of-way was too narrow for comfort. Maybe it was just the incredible contrast from the quietness of everywhere else in the province!

The bypass (TCH-101TCH-100/MB-101 rte peripherique) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Also: Portage (to the west of Winnipeg) appears to be upgrading its bypass; it may be a freeway or mostly-freeway sometime soon.

Roadgeek-for-life since 1992.

texaskdog

Quote from: mp_quadrillion on August 28, 2012, 12:58:14 PM

The TCH (TCH-1) through urban Winnipeg surprised me. The level of urbanisation and traffic seemed to rival parts of metro New York, and often the right-of-way was too narrow for comfort. Maybe it was just the incredible contrast from the quietness of everywhere else in the province!

The bypass (TCH-101) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Also: Portage (to the west of Winnipeg) appears to be upgrading its bypass; it may be a freeway or mostly-freeway sometime soon.

Sadly though it goes so far around it doesn't appear useful to anyone.  I'm not saying plop a freeway into downtown but it doesn't do much for easing traffic.

Road Hog

Looks like the 101 was built for the benefit of thru traffic, which is surprising considering Winnipeg is a destination city as the provincial capital and holds more than half of Manitoba's population. There cannot be that much cross-continent traffic on TCH-1; otherwise it would be freeway all the way.

texaskdog

Quote from: Road Hog on August 28, 2012, 03:49:32 PM
Looks like the 101 was built for the benefit of thru traffic, which is surprising considering Winnipeg is a destination city as the provincial capital and holds more than half of Manitoba's population. There cannot be that much cross-continent traffic on TCH-1; otherwise it would be freeway all the way.

but it doesnt gently swerve around town.  It makes a long loop.  Why does it have to head North to Headingley instead of NW?

dmuzika

Quote from: mp_quadrillionThe bypass (TCH-101) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Slight correction, the Perimeter Hwy is signed as MB 101 north of TCH 1 and TCH 100 south of TCH 1; TCH 100 is the official Trans Canada Highway bypass route.

Quote from: Road HogLooks like the 101 was built for the benefit of thru traffic, which is surprising considering Winnipeg is a destination city as the provincial capital and holds more than half of Manitoba's population. There cannot be that much cross-continent traffic on TCH-1; otherwise it would be freeway all the way.

At this point people would probably be happy with a 4 lane divided highway the whole way, however your right in that there isn't enough traffic to warrent a freeway across Canada.  The MB 101/59 interchange needs to be desperatly upgraded, however as a first stage of improvements it would be good to have TCH 100 upgraded to a freeway as it is the E-W bypass as well as connections with MB 75 which becomes I-29.  TCH 1 outside of the Perimeter Hwy should also be upgraded to a freeway in the greater Winnipeg area.

There were grander freeway plans for Winnipeg, unfortunatly most did not materialize, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=budEtFBCVok.

Stephane Dumas

Sorry to unbury that thread from the grave. I know it's not a grander freeway plan but there's still a 2-lane gap of TCH-1 close to the Ontario border who'll be finally twinned.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-to-move-forward-with-trans-canada-highway-twinning-project-1.6051824

QuoteManitoba's premier has committed to twinning the Trans-Canada Highway between Manitoba and Ontario, according to a letter she sent to the family of the victims of a deadly crash.

In a letter obtained by CTV News, Premier Heather Stefanson said the province will soon tender and award contracts to engineers for conceptual and functional design studies for the first phase of the twinning project.

"Twinning the Highway will significantly improve safety for motorists, and our government is committed to getting the job done," Stefanson's letter, which was sent on Wednesday, reads.

The letter was in response to Peter Lugli, who has been advocating for the twinning since his brother Mark and nephew Jacob died in a horrific crash in 2019. The father and son had been driving from their home in Dryden to a golf tournament in Selkirk along a busy and undivided section of the Trans-Canada.

andrepoiy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 24, 2022, 09:38:46 PM
Sorry to unbury that thread from the grave. I know it's not a grander freeway plan but there's still a 2-lane gap of TCH-1 close to the Ontario border who'll be finally twinned.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-to-move-forward-with-trans-canada-highway-twinning-project-1.6051824

QuoteManitoba's premier has committed to twinning the Trans-Canada Highway between Manitoba and Ontario, according to a letter she sent to the family of the victims of a deadly crash.

In a letter obtained by CTV News, Premier Heather Stefanson said the province will soon tender and award contracts to engineers for conceptual and functional design studies for the first phase of the twinning project.

"Twinning the Highway will significantly improve safety for motorists, and our government is committed to getting the job done," Stefanson's letter, which was sent on Wednesday, reads.

The letter was in response to Peter Lugli, who has been advocating for the twinning since his brother Mark and nephew Jacob died in a horrific crash in 2019. The father and son had been driving from their home in Dryden to a golf tournament in Selkirk along a busy and undivided section of the Trans-Canada.

I highly doubt Ontario will twin Hwy 17 on its side though, at least in the near future.

Avalanchez71

The bypass (TCH-101TCH-100/MB-101 rte peripherique) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Canadians tend to be more communal than Americans.  They tend to build apartments and villas/townhomes in places Americans would build single family homes.  Also Canadians also don't seem to develop housing outside the cities as much as Americans seem to. 

andrepoiy

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 25, 2022, 09:33:41 PM

Canadians tend to be more communal than Americans.  They tend to build apartments and villas/townhomes in places Americans would build single family homes.  Also Canadians also don't seem to develop housing outside the cities as much as Americans seem to.

Not sure if we're really more communal. I can only speak for Ontario and Quebec, since those are the only two provinces I have lived in, but in Ontario, a typical suburban community is still majority single-family homes, with a bit of townhomes and semi-detached homes mixed in. There might be apartment buildings along the arterial road but otherwise the zoning still prefers single-family housing.

Quebec is a completely story though, with a lot less single-family homes.

Rothman

Whenever someone claims the US has too many single-family homes, I think of DC.  Suburban DC is flooded with apartment complexes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2022, 11:47:40 PM
Whenever someone claims the US has too many single-family homes, I think of DC.  Suburban DC is flooded with apartment complexes.

And heavily flooded with SFH, too, even inside the Beltway.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2022, 08:14:00 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2022, 11:47:40 PM

And heavily flooded with SFH, too, even inside the Beltway.
Eh, it's a good mix.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 24, 2022, 09:38:46 PM

Great to see this happening. That region is a major summer destination for the Winnipeg area even though it's almost 2 hours away. I drove that segment a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon and remember thinking it was the busiest two-lane road I had ever seen. It was basically a non-stop wall of traffic heading WB back towards Winnipeg, must have been at least 2-3 miles without a gap in traffic.

cbeach40

Quote from: andrepoiy on September 25, 2022, 06:40:50 PM
I highly doubt Ontario will twin Hwy 17 on its side though, at least in the near future.

Construction to twin that section started this past spring.
and waterrrrrrr!

andrepoiy

Quote from: cbeach40 on September 26, 2022, 11:25:29 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on September 25, 2022, 06:40:50 PM

Construction to twin that section started this past spring.

Oh really? I'm surprised

Avalanchez71

I just saw the 1941 movie 49th Parallel.  Winnipeg looked like a happening place back then too.

US has 8.6 x the population but 11x more buildings so yes .Australia less so. 12 times population 11times buildings. From Microsoft building footprints.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.