News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Petition created to merge Dakotas into one state

Started by golden eagle, January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Road Hog

It was originally Dakota Territory so Dakota makes sense. However, Republicans will never countenance losing 2 Senate seats. So no go.

golden eagle

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on January 11, 2019, 07:29:39 PM
But both states are very Republican.

Do they tend to lean authoritarian or libertarian?

TheHighwayMan3561

Yes, but you'd be going from 4 Rs to 2. That won't fly in today's razor-thin majority age.

In any case this whole petition is based on the premise of "it'd just be cool to do it"  so this isn't even that serious anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

I'll support this if they bring back that sweet Indian head route marker for the new combined state.

KeithE4Phx

Which was one reason why the Dakota Territory was split into two states in 1889 -- 4 Republican Senators and 2 Republican House members instead of 2 and 1, respectively.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2019, 08:12:01 PM
I'll support this if they bring back that sweet Indian head route marker for the new combined state.

AMEN!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

Quote from: Road Hog on January 11, 2019, 06:50:18 PM
It was originally Dakota Territory so Dakota makes sense. However, Republicans will never countenance losing 2 Senate seats. So no go.
Actually believe it or not from 1996-2004 all 4 seats were held by Democrats and 3 out of 4 from 2004-2010. It wasn't until as recent as just this year that all 4 become Republican.

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Roadgeekteen

Changing it to East and West Dakota would make more sense IMHO.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 11:06:54 PM

Ever been there?  There's a reason for the north-south split over an east-west one.  Most of the population of these two states lives in the eastern third of each.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

txstateends

Quote from: golden eagle on January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM
The unofficial name is MegaKota, but I would just prefer it to be called Dakota.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/more-than-10k-people-sign-petition-to-merge-north-and-south-dakota-into-one-megakota/1696350316

MegaKota??  >ugh<

I've heard of merging other spots before, such as counties and school districts, but 2 states merging sounds like a logistical cluster, even if there weren't the political party/makeup-of-Congress issue.  Almost as bad as the state secession or division-of-a-state talk that crops up sometimes.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

mgk920

And why would they want to give up that amount of power that they now collectively have in the USSenate and Electoral College?

Mike

texaskdog

How about Legends & Leaders?

Takumi

Plot twist: the people signing it are all out-of-state Democrats looking for an edge.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: texaskdog on January 12, 2019, 05:32:37 AM

How about Legends & Leaders?

:-D :-D

It's always funny when local TV reports internet bullshit as "news".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

texaskdog

in Toastmasters we had a South Dakota District (41), North Dakota/NW Minnesota district (20), and Montana District (17).  Due to low population they merged them all together.  They added all the numbers up and got 78 which was coming up in the queue at the time.

Life in Paradise

One could make arguments to merge Maryland/Delaware, Connecticut/Rhode Island, and New Hampshire/Vermont.  You could probably add Massachusetts in with Conn/RI as well.  It's not going to happen.  A lot of residents won't want the change, and political leaders (no matter their leaning) won't want to get rid of any political power they might have.

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on January 11, 2019, 11:56:33 PM

Ever been there?  There's a reason for the north-south split over an east-west one.  Most of the population of these two states lives in the eastern third of each.

I assumed that's what he meant, but he actually thought that was a good thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Merge Connecticut and Rhode Island as a counterbalance.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

What if we just trade North Dakota for a Province to be named later?

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 12, 2019, 02:01:55 PM
What if we just trade North Dakota for a Province to be named later?

North Dakota does have a lot in common with Manitoba and Saskatchewan, but it should remain part of the US.

renegade

Quote from: golden eagle on January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM
The unofficial name is MegaKota, but I would just prefer it to be called Dakota.
I would just prefer to call it bullshit.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.