News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 10, 2015, 05:53:10 PM
Depending on terrain a PTP to NB 376 lop ramp would be more optimal.

Don't know if there's enough traffic to make it worthwhile. Pretty desolate area. If they were going to make everything a direct connection, that's honestly the last one I'd do, just because it's redundant. Next exit west is in Youngstown and the next east is in Cranberry. It's faster to cut the corner in both situations and save the toll, while all but one of the 4 seemingly-major movements at the Beaver Valley interchange is free-flowing. If you want to build a slip ramp to replace that one movement, fine, but I don't think anything more is necessary
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 10, 2015, 03:39:39 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 10, 2015, 12:20:17 PM
Agreed that it is a PennDOT and PTC problem.  But Congress could mandate a fix by telling the PTC that the interest on Turnpike bonds will become fully taxable if it fails remediate all of those non-connections between the Turnpike and crossing freeways and expressways.  PTC would have them all (Allegheny Valley, Somerset, Bedford, Breezewood, Carlisle, Pocono, Wyoming Valley, and the badly substandard interchange at Clark's Summit)  fixed in a year or two!

Or they'd just raise the tolls to cover the tax.  A lot of those potential interchanges would be very expensive, and very difficult to get done.  Really, Breezewood is probably the easiest of all those connections to make.  All that's really needed is 2 fairly simple ramps and modifications to bypass US-30.  (Of course, I've seen some interesting more elaborate ideas elsewhere in these forums)

Breezewood is indeed relatively easy and cheap to remediate.

So is Pocono (build an overpass (where there is currently a signalized intersection)) to avoid the schlock and that fixes it.

I don't think Wyoming Valley is terribly difficult, since that is now outside the "closed" or ticket system.  Same with Clark's Summit.

Somerset and Bedford might be something of a challenge, but not impossible, and probably easier when the PTC transitions to all-electronic toll collection.

QuoteHell, they could throw in money into any federal spending budget specifically for those items.  But overall, when it comes down to it, the Feds seem to be OK with the situation as it is.
Nobody in Congress (where the pressure has to originate) has a clue or really cares.

Quote from: Gnutella on June 10, 2015, 01:33:30 PM
Considering direct, limited-access highway connections have been built with I-376 (Beaver Valley and Monroeville)

Even the Beaver Valley interchange isn't optimal (and it was totally built by the PTC), as traffic from I-76 wanting to go on I-376 WB (north) has a stop sign to contend with, and a left turn across traffic to get there, to accommodate local access to PA-351

Wonder why FHWA did not raise objections to that?  Some of their division offices are unwilling to challenge stupid design decisions by the states.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Nature Boy

If Breezewood is so easy and cheap to fix, why won't someone just fix it? It seems like it'd be good PR for the PTC or PennDOT if things got fixed.

I could see someone raising a stink though about job losses when all of the businesses in Breezewood have to close shop because no one would ever stop there otherwise.

thenetwork

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 12, 2015, 12:50:53 AM
If Breezewood is so easy and cheap to fix, why won't someone just fix it? It seems like it'd be good PR for the PTC or PennDOT if things got fixed.

I could see someone raising a stink though about job losses when all of the businesses in Breezewood have to close shop because no one would ever stop there otherwise.

For all the times I have driven I-70 thru Breezewood, that particular exit on the Pike vs some of the neighboring exits has the best selection of services in quite a distance either way.  Even if they did convert Breezewood to a full interstate-interstate interchange with a secondary exit to/from US-30, I still think a lot of the businesses will continue to thrive as it will still be a "pit stop" for a lot of travelers.  It's not like there are a deluge of exits with boku services within 15 miles of Breezewood on either section of I-70 or I-76 East for that matter.

The biggest Breezewood NIMBYs are probably the businesses that shouldn't be in business there in the first place -- the oldest of the old and/or the ones that charge higher than normal prices for their food, gas and/or lodging. 

I'd be also willing to bet that many of the businesses will gain nearly as many customers as they would stand to lose -- they may lose some of the I-70 thru traffic, but they may gain people who would not/did not stop because they were afraid to stop with all of the current traffic flow & congestion during peak times.

Just my $.02 observation.

noelbotevera

PennDOT and PTC simply gave up on Breezewood - it's a permanent addition to the Interstate system. NIMBYs have stopped the connection, because of the fear of the hard earned cash going down the drain.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

MASTERNC

Quote from: thenetwork on June 12, 2015, 01:19:05 AM

For all the times I have driven I-70 thru Breezewood, that particular exit on the Pike vs some of the neighboring exits has the best selection of services in quite a distance either way.  Even if they did convert Breezewood to a full interstate-interstate interchange with a secondary exit to/from US-30, I still think a lot of the businesses will continue to thrive as it will still be a "pit stop" for a lot of travelers.  It's not like there are a deluge of exits with boku services within 15 miles of Breezewood on either section of I-70 or I-76 East for that matter.

The biggest Breezewood NIMBYs are probably the businesses that shouldn't be in business there in the first place -- the oldest of the old and/or the ones that charge higher than normal prices for their food, gas and/or lodging. 

I'd be also willing to bet that many of the businesses will gain nearly as many customers as they would stand to lose -- they may lose some of the I-70 thru traffic, but they may gain people who would not/did not stop because they were afraid to stop with all of the current traffic flow & congestion during peak times.

You might get more stops from I-70 traffic, but I doubt many Turnpike travelers would exit given the "penalty" for exiting and re-entering (i.e. the sum of the two segment tolls is greater than traveling the combined segment without exiting) and the service plazas that bookend Breezewood (both within 10-15 miles of the exit).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 12, 2015, 01:45:28 AM
PennDOT and PTC simply gave up on Breezewood - it's a permanent addition to the Interstate system. NIMBYs have stopped the connection, because of the fear of the hard earned cash going down the drain.

The owners of the land on which the Breezewood schlock sits have been very good about getting Pennsylvania elected officials to not even talk about a remediation.

I drive through Breezewood sometimes, but I never, ever stop to patronize anything.  Instead, I stop in Hancock, Maryland or at one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike service plazas west of Breezewood.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 12, 2015, 01:39:07 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on June 12, 2015, 01:45:28 AM

The owners of the land on which the Breezewood schlock sits have been very good about getting Pennsylvania elected officials to not even talk about a remediation.

I drive through Breezewood sometimes, but I never, ever stop to patronize anything.  Instead, I stop in Hancock, Maryland or at one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike service plazas west of Breezewood.
My family usually stop at Breezewood because those are the first couple services since Chambersburg, 40 miles away. There's also less lines at Breezewood than the service plazas further west of Breezewood, so if we're in a rush, we can zip in and out for food/snacks/gas.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thenetwork on June 12, 2015, 01:19:05 AM

I think this is where we start grasping for straws.  By this logic, everywhere where two interstates meet, there would be a huge metropolis of hotels, fast food restaurants, and other services.  Clearly this isn't the case.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2015, 02:55:32 PM
I think this is where we start grasping for straws.  By this logic, everywhere where two interstates meet, there would be a huge metropolis of hotels, fast food restaurants, and other services.  Clearly this isn't the case.

Have there been any objective studies on how a freeway-to-freeway connection between I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Breezewood would affect local businesses?  Also, have there ever been any design proposals for a better Pennsylvania Turnpike/I-70 connection that would mitigate potential losses to Breezewood businesses?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

lepidopteran

I've long held that there should be two high-speed, EZ-Pass-only, slip ramps from the EB Turnpike to I-70 EB, and from WB I-70 to the WB Turnpike.  Both would be from the mainline, not the "old" turnpike.  The EB ramp would be a straightforward curve, while the WB ramp would have to fly over or under the mainline, since a cloverleaf loop ramp is not exactly "high speed".  EB to WB traffic (and vice-versa) would still have to run through Breezewood.

As for hurting business, remember that I-70's other connection to the pike, at New Stanton, also has a lot of businesses that seem to do just fine, despite not forcing the traffic through surface streets.  Granted, the businesses and their signs practically literally abut the highway there, whereas in Breezewood there's at least a half-mile of trees separating the highway from the commercial strip.  Also, in New Stanton, the exit is like "right there", though a construction project is about to move the ramps at least a quarter-mile to the west.  (P.S.:  A high-speed EB to EB slip ramp at New Stanton wouldn't hurt either, IMHO)

Another solution for Breezewood that I read about on the web in the MTR era:  Connect the two stub ends of I-70 and the old pike with a wide arc behind the business strip.  That way everyone would see the businesses there.  Each side would be a half-diamond ramps.

mrsman

Quote from: lepidopteran on June 15, 2015, 09:42:08 PM

Another solution for Breezewood that I read about on the web in the MTR era:  Connect the two stub ends of I-70 and the old pike with a wide arc behind the business strip.  That way everyone would see the businesses there.  Each side would be a half-diamond ramps.

That's right.  When you look at a map of Breezewood, you can see that the terminus of I-70 at US 30 is nearly a mile north of the point where the turnpike goes over I-70.  If you put in direct ramps at the point where the turnpike goes over I-70, very few people would go 2 miles out of their way for gasoline and food. 

There is at least some hope for a compromise if the only way to get from I-70 to the Turnpike is by going over the town of Breezewood with a diamond exit at US 30.

qguy

Quote from: mrsman on June 16, 2015, 10:25:55 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on June 15, 2015, 09:42:08 PM
That's right.  When you look at a map of Breezewood, you can see that the terminus of I-70 at US 30 is nearly a mile north of the point where the turnpike goes over I-70.  If you put in direct ramps at the point where the turnpike goes over I-70, very few people would go 2 miles out of their way for gasoline and food. 

There is at least some hope for a compromise if the only way to get from I-70 to the Turnpike is by going over the town of Breezewood with a diamond exit at US 30.

Mike Koerner used to have a page dedicated to this proposal on his Highway Snippets site, but the page is no longer up.

Mr_Northside

If you put in direct ramps at the point where the turnpike goes over I-70, very few people would go 2 miles out of their way for gasoline and food. 

I might agree somewhat about gasoline - But if I were hungry around that area, I would absolutely hit up Breezewood for the choice in food.  I'm on the side of thinking that says Breezewood would be just fine with a direct connection of some sort for I-70 & the Turnpike.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cl94

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 17, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
If you put in direct ramps at the point where the turnpike goes over I-70, very few people would go 2 miles out of their way for gasoline and food. 

I might agree somewhat about gasoline - But if I were hungry around that area, I would absolutely hit up Breezewood for the choice in food.  I'm on the side of thinking that says Breezewood would be just fine with a direct connection of some sort for I-70 & the Turnpike.

I'd still hit up Breezewood if I timed it right, even if it was only for gas. The amount you'd save at the pump is worth it and the cheaper food options are certainly a plus. What will hurt are the places that want to price gouge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

The PA Turnpike announced more details on the all-electronic tolling coming to the Delaware River Bridge next year.

However, they also announced I-376 (Beaver Valley Expressway) will also go AET.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Electronic-Tolls-Delaware-River-Bridge-PA-Turnpike-Pennsylvania-308004461.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2015, 06:35:30 PM

I'd still hit up Breezewood if I timed it right, even if it was only for gas. The amount you'd save at the pump is worth it and the cheaper food options are certainly a plus. What will hurt are the places that want to price gouge.

If you're hitting up Breezewood for gas, then you are doing it wrong and planned poorly.  Breezewood has among the highest prices for gas in the state.  If you are using I-70, Maryland isn't too far away and gas is 20 cents cheaper, which you should've hit up before entering PA, or planning your gas usage properly so you have enough to make it down to Maryland.  Other states are cheaper than PA in general, and there are even other towns in PA at least a dime cheaper than Breezewood.

Hell, right now (6/17/15, 10:25pm per Gasbuddy), gas is about $2.95 in Breezewood.  Gas at the Sideling Hill Service Plaza is $2.92.

So, how does spending more in Breezewood save you money???

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2015, 10:28:07 PM

If you're hitting up Breezewood for gas, then you are doing it wrong and planned poorly.  Breezewood has among the highest prices for gas in the state.  If you are using I-70, Maryland isn't too far away and gas is 20 cents cheaper, which you should've hit up before entering PA, or planning your gas usage properly so you have enough to make it down to Maryland.  Other states are cheaper than PA in general, and there are even other towns in PA at least a dime cheaper than Breezewood.

Hell, right now (6/17/15, 10:25pm per Gasbuddy), gas is about $2.95 in Breezewood.  Gas at the Sideling Hill Service Plaza is $2.92.

Maybe he has a Sheetz card which saves him $0.03 per gallon. lol.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2015, 10:28:07 PM

I drive a truck, and i would hate to have to pay for PA price of diesel at ANY station. it is at least 50 cents higher than the neighboring states. Thankfully my company just cares that we put fuel in the rigs, and not what state it came from.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 17, 2015, 09:23:42 PM
The PA Turnpike announced more details on the all-electronic tolling coming to the Delaware River Bridge next year.

However, they also announced I-376 (Beaver Valley Expressway) will also go AET.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Electronic-Tolls-Delaware-River-Bridge-PA-Turnpike-Pennsylvania-308004461.html

Not sure if this video has been posted on AAROADS before: Bucks County Courier-Times: "Drive" the Pennsylvania Turnpike's new I-95 connection

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 18, 2015, 02:36:54 PMNot sure if this video has been posted on AAROADS before: Bucks County Courier-Times: "Drive" the Pennsylvania Turnpike's new I-95 connection
It was and it's about a year or two old (Note the I-195 signing (now Future I-295)).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

rickmastfan67

Split the Mon-Fayette Expressway talk into the Mon-Fayette thread over in the 'Ohio Valley' section.

cpzilliacus

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pa. Turnpike commission considers getting rid of callboxes

QuotePennsylvania Turnpike drivers used the bright yellow roadside emergency call boxes more than 18,000 times a year 15 years ago. Now, it's about 1,200 times a year.

QuoteAbout half of Americans owned a cellphone 15 years ago. Now, ownership hovers at about 90 percent, so the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is considering whether it's time to scale back one of the nation's last and largest emergency call box systems.

Quote"With the continued drop in the call box deployments and the new ways that we have to tell us about accidents, I think that's made the timing right to reconsider this,"  turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo said.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 24, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Pa. Turnpike commission considers getting rid of callboxes

QuotePennsylvania Turnpike drivers used the bright yellow roadside emergency call boxes more than 18,000 times a year 15 years ago. Now, it's about 1,200 times a year.

QuoteAbout half of Americans owned a cellphone 15 years ago. Now, ownership hovers at about 90 percent, so the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is considering whether it's time to scale back one of the nation's last and largest emergency call box systems.
As I mentioned either further back on this thread or in another thread; I would support reducing but not flat-out eliminating all the call boxes for the following reasons:

1.  The more remote and rural stretches of the Turnpike may still not have decent cell phone reception (aka Dead Zones).

2.  If one's cell phone is out of commission or has a dead battery (such does happen) and that person is driving alone; they might as well be viewed as someone without a cell phone.

Quote from: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review"With the continued drop in the call box deployments and the new ways that we have to tell us about accidents, I think that's made the timing right to reconsider this,"  turnpike spokesman Carl DeFebo said.
One needs to remember that call boxes aren't just for reporting accidents; but for reporting breakdowns as well.

IMHO, a more logical approach would be to reduce the number of call boxes along stretches that go through more populated regions (example: I-276 in the Greater Philadelphia area).  Instead of currently having one at every mile; reduce the number to one every 2 or 3 miles. in those areas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 25, 2015, 08:40:21 AM
IMHO, a more logical approach would be to reduce the number of call boxes along stretches that go through more populated regions (example: I-276 in the Greater Philadelphia area).  Instead of currently having one at every mile; reduce the number to one every 2 or 3 miles. in those areas.
depending on how the call boxes are connected, this might not actually provide a significant cost savings - e.g. if the removal of some but not all boxes requires the installation and subsequent maintenance of repeaters or other hardware. disclaimer - i do not know how the call boxes are wired, this is purely conjecture.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.